Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after around six years of being unactive in the 40k universe, I've decided to pick it up again. While I sold a good bit of my army I am picking up the pieces and going forward once more. So I created a 500pt army that I hope will best suit my situation. Tell me what you think.

My situation: The people I will be playing against mostly are other IG armies which are very infantry based, the Tau, and Tyranids. On occassion Space Marines. Also, my friends and I favor relatively clustered battlefields with lots of cover although we've been known to play on larger more open fields as well.

So I've come up with this.

HQ:

Command Squad: 90 pts
-Vox-caster
-Mortar
-Master of Ordnance

Elites:

Ratling Squad: 50 pts
-Ratling x5

Troops:

Veteran Squad: 120 pts
-Vox-caster
-Flamer x3
-Grenadiers

Platoon Command : 40 pts
-Vox-caster
-Mortar

Infantry Squad: 70 pts
-Vox-caster
-Auto Cannon
-Grenade launcher

Infantry Squad: 70 pts
-Vox-caster
-Auto Cannon
-Grenade launcher

Heavy Weapons Squad: 60 pts
-Mortar x3

The idea behind this army is to sit back behind cover and shell the enemy. While I realize the Master of Ordinance and Mortars are not the most accurate in the world, i'm hoping by sheer numbers they can put in some real damage. I didn't give either command squad any special upgrades as I plan for them to just sit there behind the infantry line giving orders and firing their mortars. (Kinda rhymed eh?)

Which brings me to the infantry line. I'll have the two infantry squads in the main fire lanes, hopefully behind some cover. They will be my shooty oriented squads obviously armed with Auto cannons and grenade launchers. Generally I want them to hold the line, and i'm prepaired to use orders such as 'Incoming!' to make them last as long as possible.

To support the small infantry gun line i'll hopefully be able to infiltrate my ratlings into good positioning and hope to pin down closing enemies as much as possible.

Also, i'll be holding my Veteran Squad either in reserve or send them out to be aggressive wherever needed. They will hopefully be able to deal with any squad they come in contact with, negating cover bonuses with their three flamers. I honestly wanted to give the sergeant a plasma pistol and either a power weapon or fist as they are very likely to get into cc but I couldn't find the points.

What do you think, and how can I improve? And if your so inclined what would you suggest to notch it up to a 1000pt army?

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
Everything is fine except the Veterans. They need a Chimera or they need to go. I;d drop them, the Ratlings and the Voxes, buy another Platoon the exact same as the one you're running.

The best 500 points for IG is really 2 Platoons and a CCS, mixing in whatever guns. It;ll give you more men, bigger squads and more hate on armor and toughish models.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You will have trouble against power armour armies, although you may get lucky and pop their transports early should they bring any. The way you deploy your forces will essentially make or break you.

Same goes for mech builds. 500pts lets me bring three chimeras and troops which you really cant do much about short of pray the MoO lands a direct hit. Hopefully no one decides to field a hell hound against you! Rinse and repeat for Tau should they bring devilfish/hammerheads.

I think however you WILL own foot armies, especially other foot IG and foot Tau. Nids will trouble you if they are fast or bring an MC or two. But it is pretty hard to balance a list at such a low points level. Dont leave your vets in reserve as chances are you will find they wont be available when you want them. Note, you really dont have a unit to capture objectives with. Might make objective missions difficult to win.

·
3,560 Posts
Adding that extra Autocannon Platoon would make Mech far from scary, especially in 500. Power Armor is a bit rough but that's what FRFSRF is for. :]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is actually really good advice. The army wouldn't be too hurt without the ratlings and Vox's, and the Veteran squad wasn't particurally a certerpiece. Although I did want them to help me take objectives as the rest of my army will likely be unable. Taking in a whole other platoon is a great idea. I'm wondering if it would be possible to switch some auto cannons to the platoon command squads for better BS and give the guardsmen mortars. Somelike like 2 PCS with Autocannon, 2 GI with Autocannon, 2 GI with Mortar. Although it might seem like a waste to have 10 guardsman sitting around sending off one mortar.

Anti armor or heavy infantry is definantly a problem for the army, as before any alteration all i've got is two auto cannons that can give any kind of punch. If I add in the other platoon i'll have four, which will be a little better. I think it gives me 20 extra points as well though, which I may be able to fit in some plasma with.

I'm also worried about fast cc armies. Any suggestions here? Especially if I knock off the Veteran squad, what do I do against cc opponents able to reach me? I havn't upgraded any command squad for cc. Do I just rely on my gun line at this point or is there another direction I can go?

·
3,560 Posts
Platoon Commands are BS3, only Company Commands and Vets are BS4. I'd keep the Mortars on them as they're only 5 man and thus will want to hide.

Fats CC armies are few in 500 points but FRFSRF is your best friend. Put tons of Lasguns shots in right before the charge and it'll blunt it badly. Any damage done while closing the gap is a bonus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, your right. I was thinking about the CCS. That makes it simpler anyways. Ok here is a revised list that should do well.

HQ:

Command Squad: 85 pts
-Mortar
-Master of Ordnance

Troops:

(1)Platoon Command : 35 pts
-Mortar

Infantry Squad: 65 pts
-Auto Cannon
-Grenade launcher

-Auto Cannon
-Grenade launcher

(2)Platoon Command : 35 pts
-Mortar

-Auto Cannon
-Grenade launcher

-Auto Cannon
-Grenade launcher

-Mortar x3

It only comes out to 450 if I did the math right however, so I have 50 points to use in the best way possible. Suggestions? Possible options are adding the Ratlings back in, upgrading sergeants, or maybe giving some vox casters back to a few squads just for some extra assurance on the FRFSRF. Heck, if I could knock off 10 points somewhere I could have another Heavy Weapons Squad of mortars.

·
3,560 Posts
Hmmm. You could drop the MoO and add a variety of useful things, like a Griffon, really in theme for your army.

You could grab Marbo, a great character in any game and he'd help with your Marine problem, on demand Democharge.

Scout Sentinels aren't bad either, get them into the backcourt for Autocannons in the rear armor, or assaults against othther shooty armies like Tau or IG.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So far ive played 4 games (although against my own tyranids) and ive only failed 1 order roll so far, dont know whether it is luck, or just the fact that voxes aren't needed at all!

·
3,560 Posts
Yeah testing on Ld8 with 2d6 nets many more passes than fails. I've only failed a handful and they didn't change the game much. I view them as extras that can help, not make or break parts of the army.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well now i'm in a tough spot and I can't make up my mind. On one hand, I really like the idea of the MoO because I feel he fits in perfectly with the army. So i'm inclined to let him stay. But if I do, I miss out on all of these other great options.

Options if I keep him:
-Ratlings
-Loose 10pt somewhere and get another HWS with mortars.

Options if I loose him:
-Guardsman Marbo (This guy is awesome, and I lean towards him. But he doesn't exactly fit with the army.)
-Scout Sentinel x2 w/ assault cannons

I would consider a Griffon, but I don't have one and I already have a Basilisk for when I move up to higher point armies. This army is just until I get there.

Really, i'm most inclined to go with loosing 10 points somewhere and getting another HWS squad with mortars just to keep with the original concept. I love the idea of so many mortars, even if it might not be the best option for me.Getting rid of two grenade launchers is the best I can come up with atm. And yet... Marbo is so enticing, and Sentinels are always fun. Plus they fit into city warfare nicely. Ugh. Anyone have experience or input on this matter? I honestly can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, as well as passing/failing orders goes, a banner in my IG command squad!

Where your list is concerned I am not 100% sure, I think that you should resist the temptation of Marbo as most of the time, meeting your heroes always ends up in dissapointment!

I would get the extra HWS, seems to firt into your army, maybe the MoO if you dont already have it in that points list, this is good for a theme/fluff and for taking out bigger things.

·
3,560 Posts
Pretty sure a Banner doesn't help Orders as it's a Ld test and banners only affect Morale and Pinning. They're different.

In terms of winning, Marbo rules. If you want to keep the theme just roll with those Mortars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, so i've just realized i'll be heading out against Space Marines more than I realized. I think that means it'll be a must to tag Marbo into the group for that demolition charge. Without MoO I think that'll put me with 15 spare points. I'll be sad to lose the MoO since his blast is the only ordnance I have that can really pack a punch. But he just seems too inaccurate, and SM forces are generally small so chance to scatter onto something else is unlikely. Maybe grab a plasma pistol or something with the spare points. Or maybe a standard?

That pretty much completes my army, unless ya'll can think of any modifications that might deal with SM armies a little better. Not sure what he'll be able to squeeze into a 500 pt army, be it a Dreadnaught or Landspeeder. Assault Squad w/ HQ and jump packs sounds dangerous, but thats probably pretty expensive as well. A great hit for Marbo.

To 'The Prince of Excess', your help was invaluable. Thanks a lot. Next i'll be posting a possible 1000 pt upgrade for this army, I'd love it if you would take a look there as well if you have some free time.

(Will post final army after I wait for any anti SM feedback and decide for sure what i'll do with spare 15 points.)

PS: Didn't see Marbo on the Games Workshop site. Do I just need to convert someone?

·
3,560 Posts
Yeah MoO is to inaccurate for my taste, I'd take Marbo everytime. The list looks good, I think you'll be fine. Autocannons eat up Land Speeders and Dreads, omnnomnom.

No problem with the help, that's what I'm here for. I will take a look at that list in a bit. Where the hell is my rep btw? Jk <3

Reactions: Medievalriot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my final list. I actually had added it up wrong earlier by about 15 points, so I had to drop some grenade launchers. I think the math in this finally works.

HQ:

Command Squad: 55 pts
-Mortar

Elites:

Guardsman Marbo: 65 pts

Troops:

(1)Platoon Command : 35 pts
-Mortar

-Auto Cannon
-Grenade launcher

-Auto Cannon
-Grenade launcher

(2)Platoon Command : 35 pts
-Mortar

Infantry Squad: 60 pts
-Auto Cannon

Infantry Squad: 60 pts
-Auto Cannon

-Mortar x3

And Excess, I actually tried to give you rep earlier but it didn't work for some reason. I think it worked this time though. ;)

·
3,560 Posts
Looks good. Still has a lot of Mortars for a 500 list but much more balanced. Should do well.

Obviously Rabbit or one of the mods put a block on my rep, or I'd get to much for the site to keep up with. ;]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha, I'm not surprised. I've been scanning over tactical and army threads and i've seen you around a lot.

I have a quick few questions if you wouldn't mind helping me out. Just a few thoughts i'm trying to find answers for so I can get a complete picture.

1: What are your thoughs on giving the CCS a heavy weapon for their upgraded BS? Would they be too much of a target in a gun line? Or are they a unit more equiped for cc or sitting in the back giving orders?

2: Also, is giving a PCS a heavy weapon in the same manner worth it? What kind of role do they usually play?

3: Are Veteran squads worth it if they don't have chimeras? I love the idea of a mobile army but at the moment I don't have the money.

4: If I wanted to arm a non-Ogryn squad or two for cc, with who would I do it, and how would I arm them? CCS with bodyguards?

5: Is a relatively cc oriented army possible for the IG without using Ogryns?

6: In what kind of army would you reccomend Ratlings? I hear they are good against monstrous creatures. Are they good against Tau Battlesuits?

7: Would you reccomend auto-cannons or lascannons against Space Marines?

8: With a lack of Hellhound tactica, you have any advice for using one?

Bonus Question: (Worth +2 points) ;)

9: In your opinion, what is the best way for a shooty/gunline geared IG army to capture objectives against a cc heavy foe entrenched in heavy cover?

Well, I don't know if I should have posted this elsewhere, but I had some questions and since i'm talking to you here I figured i'd toss them out to you lol. Hope ya don't mind.

·
3,560 Posts
1: What are your thoughs on giving the CCS a heavy weapon for their upgraded BS? Would they be too much of a target in a gun line? Or are they a unit more equiped for cc or sitting in the back giving orders?

I toyed around with it in early lists but now I mech them with special weapons. I still use a banner but I find making them mobile and taking advantage of multiple weapons is best. Also, they need LoS to fire a weapon and an unprotected 5 man unit can be killed off easily.

2: Also, is giving a PCS a heavy weapon in the same manner worth it? What kind of role do they usually play?

I mech these as well but they're much better with something cheap like a Mortar or Autocannon. You might lose them but they're very cheap and their Orders aren't as important, although FRFSRF with 12" is a beast.

3: Are Veteran squads worth it if they don't have chimeras? I love the idea of a mobile army but at the moment I don't have the money.

Without a Chimera or Valk they suck. I'd rather get a Platoon for men and Orders than hit on 3's statically. That's just me though.

4: If I wanted to arm a non-Ogryn squad or two for cc, with who would I do it, and how would I arm them? CCS with bodyguards?

PCS or Vets with a PF is good. A PCS with 4 Grenade Launchers and a PF isn't to bad but still not the best. IG just are built to shoot.

5: Is a relatively cc oriented army possible for the IG without using Ogryns?

I don't think a CC IG army is playable. It'd be for fun at best. Think Orks with T3, less attacks and tanks. Movement and shooting is the way to win, leave charging to those other silly armies.

6: In what kind of army would you reccomend Ratlings? I hear they are good against monstrous creatures. Are they good against Tau Battlesuits?

I'd use them in low points. At high points you can kill MCs easier, Battlesuits are easily killed depending on how much you can move and the terrain. Overall not great against there's a lot of 'Nidzilla, C'Tans or the like where you play.

7: Would you reccomend auto-cannons or lascannons against Space Marines?

Autocannons. They pack Rhinos, which Autocannons ruin and they can force saves, Marines don't pass them all. They're also much much cheaper which is a plus for me. I just like the all around capability.

8: With a lack of Hellhound tactica, you have any advice for using one?

Go as fast as possible turn one, than move 12" and fire every turn. Put a MM on it so it's still a threat if the Cannon gets blown off, or they might take the MM because they fear it. Just keep it moving and shooting, it's a fast vehicle with a long range template. Abuse it.

Bonus Question: (Worth +2 points) ;)

9: In your opinion, what is the best way for a shooty/gunline geared IG army to capture objectives against a cc heavy foe entrenched in heavy cover?

Well I use PCS with Chimeras and Vendettas with Troops in them for this. You can drop an objective or two near you but for far away ones I'd use the Run Order and move them late game. You'll lose the HW fire but you'll win the game. This is really the weakness of static IG, which is why that's a rare army now. Denying or shooting Troops off objectives and holding 1-2 yourself is good plan but risky.
I await my A+ eagerly.

Reactions: Carkeh
1 - 20 of 22 Posts