Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK then Ive played other armies and am now moving on to empire , im gonna focus on a shooty/magic army because my last two armies have been mainly cc.

-feel free to criticize/pick apart my list- i normally play test lists but haven't bought the models yet so..

Warrior priest-138pts
heavy Armour
shield
sword of justice (re roll to wound)
ring of volans (one use only, bound spell, you choose , power level=casting value)

10 hand gunners-80

10 hand gunners-80

14 spear men-92
light Armour& shields
standard

hell blaster volley gun-110 (its a gamble i know)

:dance:
thanks alot

·
Registered
100 Posts
Remember, there is an army list sub forum.

Well 500 points is hard to criticize, but I would replace sword of justice with doomfire ring. Otherwise you wont be able to get off a single prayer.

It looks like its all going to come down to how well the HBVG does, good luck with that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup my bad (thought it was in the list forum)

thats a good point and i did think about not being able to get any prayers off however the prayers could be used to soak up dispell dice and let the doomfire off every turn (or at least the first turn),and re roll to wound might be a little pointless, and with the ring of volans i could have at least 1 ok magic phase

ive seen a list similar to this and its worked OK it was something like 10 great swords, a wizard , 2 units of 10 hand gunners, ( it was used against my WoC army and gave the WoC's a good match)

so my new list now looks like lol..

Warrior priest-148pts
heavy Armour
shield
doomfire ring
ring of volans (one use only, bound spell, you choose , power level=casting value)

10 hand gunners-80

10 hand gunners-80

14 spear men-84
light Armour& shields
standard(now removed)

hell blaster volley gun-110 (its a gamble i know)

thanks alot some rep coming your way

please -feel free to criticize/pick apart my list-

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
First up, in Mod-mode here, could you please add capital letters to your posts where relevant? It makes them easier to read. Cheers. Also, moved.

Now, to your list, I would start by removing either the Doomfire Ring or the Ring of Volans (I'd be inclined to drop the latter, for the mentioned reason), as they're both Enchanted items. The first problem I see lies with your spearmen. 14 without detachments or a command group strikes me as fairly weak. Myself, I'd drop the shields and a unit of handgunners to bump the spearmen up to 20. That should also give you more than enough points for a fairly solid combat detachment (I'd suggest 9 swordsmen/halberdiers) and a shooty one if you have the points (5 archers or handgunners).

Failing that, it looks alright. very close to a list I used to run. It was pretty successful until I retired it, as I found it functioned a bit much like a gunline. You'll find that, while mediocre in almost all respects, state troops can go toe-to-toe with some of the best combat units out there, simply due to numbers and the detachments rule.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok then had a little think about this,thanks for the advice (and moving me-sorry my bad).And i think i understand about the capitals thanks for the heads up.

Warrior priest-126pts
Heavy Armour
Shield
Doomfire ring

10 Hand Gunners-80

20 Spear Men-188(including detachments)(Will be in ranks of 5x3 and inc warrior priest)
standard

Detachment 1
8 Halberds

Detachment 2
6 Hand Gunners

Hell Blaster volley gun-110 (its a gamble i know)

Thanks alot some rep coming your way

please -feel free to criticize/pick apart my list-

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
Your list looks fine with the new changes. You have a solid combat base, significant fire power, and a sturdy character.

My issue is with taking the volley gun. The following comment, is less targeted at you than at people in general that use such units. I'll preface by saying that I prefer games that are more about tactics and good brawls.

That said, it seems a little mean spirited to have a unit as powerful as that, especially at the 500pt level. It is a temperamental unit, but that just makes it more aggravating to play against (or with IMO) because the outcome of a game can be controlled by a single event (firing the volley gun). I've played dwarf armies with organ guns at low points, and it just isn't fun when that unit dictates the nature of the encounter. There are ways to fight such armies, but I feel the unit still impacts the game dynamics too much.

I'm much less opposed to the idea of 'deathstar' close combat units because tactics are important to avoid, contain, or creatively eliminate them.

I'll step down from the soap box now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree Rhoaran, but sadly empire units don't compare to most other armies units and to have a good chance to win we need to take something out of our bad o' tricks.

I really don't think it is unbalanced this situation. All the opponent needs is a flying unit or an assassin character and its toast. Or the HBVG could simply blow up in his face.

It all comes down to how badly you want to win. Is this a friendly game? What armies will you be facing? Are they playing to win too? What if his opponent chooses something like a stegadon or a treeman?

For 110 points he could get 13 more handgunners or 18 more spearmen. If you want to drop the hbvg and still stand a chance I would take the spearmen. Split your spearmen up into two groups of 19 and take another wp. Drop some handgunners to get the points. Your opponent will have 3 pd at most and you will have 3 power level 3-4 bound spells. You will have a much higher chance of getting off a prayer or your ring's spell. But then of course this wouldn't be a shooty list anymore...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The thing with the HBVG is i play mostly daemons(The guy that plays them got to 16th in the grand tournament uk) vampires(another tourney list) lizards (all the quite effective army's) and occasionally empire and dwarfs so the potential of what it could do is brilliant.
Personally i think that the HBVG is a gamble because it could blow up and against skirmishers its not too great, i was going to go for the mortar but had doubts about how good it will/would be in 500. Any comments on the mortar?

Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's a solid list. However, I have to agree with Rhoaran about the Helblaster. I just can't see it at this points level.

How about a unit of Outriders? Similar amount of firepower but adds a different dynamic to your army.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The thing with the HBVG is i play mostly daemons(The guy that plays them got to 16th in the grand tournament uk) vampires(another tourney list) lizards (all the quite effective army's) and occasionally empire and dwarfs so the potential of what it could do is brilliant.
Personally i think that the HBVG is a gamble because it could blow up and against skirmishers its not too great, i was going to go for the mortar but had doubts about how good it will/would be in 500. Any comments on the mortar?

Thanks

Pistoliers will be great against those 3 armies, especially the liz because at this point value he will most likely take saurus blocks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice everybody - just so you know what im going to be working with straight out the box as it were is the GW £100 kit ( Empire Brigade | Games Workshop ) + of course things like the priest that id have to buy separate.

outriders/pistoleers now look very appealing for 500 especially if it came down to something like table quarters..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.