Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Inquistor-Missionary
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got a new commission. This time for a Harlequin solitaire.

I was actually contacted about this model months ago but, after agreeing to the quote, the client kind of went quiet for a bit. But now he's talking to me again, so I'm getting some movement.

This was the initial sketch I did just to get myself used to Harlequin imagery and flesh out some vague ideas.

The plan was that the Solitaire was a lonely traveller, making his (or her) way through the Webway and from craftworld to maiden world and even occasionally other worlds. Hence the travelling coat, the backpack and the various pieces of kit and equipment about his person.

Once I came back to the idea after a break, however, I decided that this just didn't possess the "harlequin" qualities that the client was looking for. The Solitaire should live by his (or her) wits. I also did a lot of sketches of masks before I settled (at last) on one that I thought worked:

This time around my plan was for a character who was colourful and harlequin-y to the extreme. I was sort of thinking that she (I settled on a female) could be so OTT that no one would guess she was an alien behind the mask and beneath the cowl. It's not like Imperial citizens don't appear masked and cowled all over the place, eh?

The mask is a combination of daemonette eyes, geisha lips and a sort of kabuki theatre overall effect. The hood conceals the details of her person (and her pointy ears), whilst the half-cloak doesn't interfere with acrobatic leaping about sort of stuff.

But I had a couple of problems I wanted to sort out. The first was the Harlequin's Kiss. The client had specifically said that he wanted her to have one, but the extant design seemed too bulky and unwieldy to really communicate the elegance of harlequins at 54mm. So I went right back to basics:

As you can see, the ammunition container is concealed beneath her half-cape on her shoulder, with the weapon itself being digitally mounted (digital Harlequin's Kiss? Ouch!) - this also fitted with the idea of a character who should be able to move with relative freedom within the frontier worlds of the galaxy.

My next problem was the shuriken pistol. I've never understood how these things could be comfortably holstered. So, again, I went back to basics:

In this sketch, I turned the barrel through 90degrees so that the body of the weapon could lie flush against a leg or (as in this case) beneath the half-cape.

I also did some pose sketches. Not sure how she's going to be posed in the end. Up to the client, really.

That's it for now. I'll post more when there's more to show.

R.

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Great artwork and I really hope your client likes it. More pics pleaaazzzee

·
426 Posts
I'm a really big Harlequin fan, keep this post up. In all fairness, I like the first sketch most. The samurai Solitaire is cool too.

-Dark

·
290 Posts
I like!

I'm thinking of getting a commision done some time but I can't choose what to get!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow that is looking like a good progression. I'm sure the final product will look awesome as well. Hope the client likes it.

·
Inquistor-Missionary
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New sketch:

The client wanted a backpack.

I also did another pose sketch for the client to have a selection to choose from so I can get started on planning.

R.

·
LO Ninja
1,214 Posts
The first pose was my fav, leaning on the broken peice of web way looked great. Just another idea for stance would be for her to stand in crane stance and have one arm resting on the raised leg (dont think karate kid thats NOT crane stance, think what killk does YouTube - Soul Calibur 4 Kilik vs Nightmare watch at 5.42.) Just bring the foot in abit more to cover the knee and i think that would look good.
The quins kiss is a great idea tho i quite liked it with the bracelet aswell.
Pistol idea is fantasic, really indervidual and eye catching.
Just remember no spirit stones and that flip belt looks like a huge one!
Thigh high boots? We all know what your into now! ;) They look great but perhaps a lace tieing them up the front?
Great work and keep it up!

PL

·
179 Posts
If I might make a criticism - and I do so with almost no drawing ability, and absolutely no sculpting skill - the face does not look elven enough. True, it looks strange and alien, but to 'sell' this figure as a Harlequin, I think the face should be more drawn, pointed, pensive and disdainfully laughing. Think the classic elves of fairy tales, the Joker in Batman, the white-faced clown in the circus.
What you have there is a mysterious, alien, but still circular face, which is my only issue. So, please take this as it is intended, a critique from the rabble and go on with your work; I am looking forward to seeing further progress.

TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Inquistor-Missionary
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bear in mind that this is no normal Eldar or, indeed, Harlequin. This is a Solitaire: the outcast harlequin, the soulless one, the wordless horror. The Solitaire alone plays the part of She Who Thirsts in the Great Masque and is the deadliest of the deadly cadre.

The face is based upon that of a daemonette and is kept deliberately plain in order to contrast with the rest of the model, which will be brightly coloured and elaborate - especially around the cowl. You might also like to look at the original inspiration for this model - the Harlequin Avatar model from the classic range of avatars - which has a similar cowl and a completely blank mask. So there is good precedent for this more understated design of mask.

That said, the final design of the mask is far from settled. The client is looking at some more designs.

Ultimately, the mask of a harlequin - Solitaire or not - is an ever-changing picture. Trying to capture that in a miniature is imposssible. The best I can hope for is to convey to some extent the nature of the Solitaire.

R.

·
179 Posts
That sounds like it would be right for the faceless, ever changing aspect of the Solitaire. I would still urge you to make that mask a little more elongated - perhaps tending to an inverse teardrop shape, rather than spherical. However, it's not my sketch or my sculpture and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
cheers,
TOMB
(My Blog)

·
Inquistor-Missionary
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, I see what you mean. You need to look more closely at the picture. The top of her head is at the top of the cowl, not the top of the mask. The head will, indeed, be noticeably elongated by comparison to a human head.

R.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You might also like to look at the original inspiration for this model - the Harlequin Avatar model from the classic range of avatars - which has a similar cowl and a completely blank mask. So there is good precedent for this more understated design of mask.
R.

You will find that it is the old shadowseer(which iswhy the current one does aswell) with the cowl not the avatar who has a cloak.

Still all the drawings lookn brilliant and it does have a sleek look to it like the eldar should and definately does look lethal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts