Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

550 Fight Club League Rules

Acknowledgements

The Author would like to thank Dan Colon and the gang at the (now defunct) Adventurer's Guild in El Paso, TX.

Army Composition

Armies must be a total of 550 points generated using the "Standard Missions" force organization chart. No substitutions or modifications may be made to this list once the league begins.

"What you see is what you get!" will be implemented. Models should show how they are equipped as accurately as possible, with the exception of grenades. Alternate models can be used, but they must accurately portray the Games Workshop equivalent. So troops with bolters may not be modeled with lasguns. A homemade dreadnought must look like one, and not be an oversized plastic army man. You can play without WYSIWYG, but a penalty will be given to the league point totals.

At the conclusion of the league, all models in the army should be painted for a bonus to the league totals. Unpainted models will result in a penalty. At the league game total midpoint (over half of the required games completed) a bonus of 1 point per game will be given if all the models in an army are painted. Painting must include at least two colors or one color with details. Black primer with the second color being drybrushing does not count as painting. An honest effort must be made!

Even though certain units may be chosen as troop equivalents, they are still considered a special troop selection for the purposes of army composition. You may field this army using the selections as troops (i.e. Fast attack in a cult of speed ork army), but they will be subject to a penalty as described in the league standing point section.

The army list must be presented to the league judge and approved before the league commences.

Number of League Games

The total number of games equals 70%, rounding up, of the total number of players in the league or 4 weeks, whichever is longer. No person can be an opponent to the same player more than once. If there are not enough players in the league to have a new opponent for each game, the last game will be done with opponents paired up randomly. A challenge board will be up at Adventurer's Guild so that players can arrange times to meet and set up league games.

If a player is challenged by an opponent who has met the required number of games for the league total (opponent has played 70% of the players), he may decline to play that opponent.

It is expected that players will meet once a week to play one game. The league game total is the number of weeks into the league. If a player is behind in number of games, he has two weeks to play matches until his total equals the league game total or be penalized with a game forfeit. Each week the player will forfeit a game until he has caught up with the current league game total. Also players may only have two games more than the current league game total. Monday of each week is the deadline for turning in scores and Tuesday of each week the current point totals and standings will be posted.

EXAMPLE: A player completes one game in week one. He has disappeared for a while and returns on league week three. By week three, the league game total is three, so the player must play at least two games. If he does not he will forfeit a loss, and keep forfeiting a loss once a week until he is up to the league game total. Also, another player by week three may only have a total of five games played.

Battle Rules

All games are to be played on a 4' X 4' table. Terrain should be placed in a manner in which both players agree. Before the battle, both players must agree to the terrain effects (cover saves, difficult ground tests, etc.).

The player should have a legible army list and all rules (except for the general rulebook) pertaining to his army during the game. A codex and/or copies of White Dwarf Chapter Approved articles should be present so the opponent can ask for rule queries. You are expected to know the rules for the race that you play, but also be prepared to show your opponent the rules if he wants a clarification.

Your opponent has five minutes to look over the army list and ask questions before the battle. He may also ask questions during the game, such as to clarify wargear, character stats, or vehicle armor. If there are some special "conversions" done to a specific model, an opportune moment to bring this up is before the game starts.

SIX POINTS TO REMEMBER:

I. Always declare why you are rolling the dice before you roll them.

II. Declare assaults and then measure before moving models. This is the only reason why you should pre-measure ANYTHING.

III. Always roll dice so that they lie flat and that the opponent can see the results. Miss-rolled dice (dice in terrain or off the table) must be re-rolled.

IV. Declare if a unit is rapid firing before checking the distance.

V. In disputes, check the rulebook or codex for an answer. If the rules are vague, roll for an interpretation. If both players agree to resolve a problem using this, the game result will not be subject to a violation, even when the result is clarified later by a FAQ (or something similar).

VI. Players may ask for an arbitrator to resolve a dispute, but this should be a last resort.

Violations

Violations are for fielding an incorrect army (does not match your list), or playing the improper interpretation of a rule. Also, if a player quits a game early, without the opponent's consent, it is a violation.

If found in violation for 1st offense, 0 VP and opponent gets full victory points. The 2nd offense results in a forfeit of the match and a 20 point penalty to overall standing points. The 3rd offense will result in disqualification for the season.

League Standing Points

When a player completes all of his games, his points are totaled. The player with the highest point total wins the league. Ties in league standing point totals will result in a final game between the two players.

Again, a player must complete enough games equaling 70% of the total number of players in the league. He may elect to play more games, provided that he only plays each opponent once. The league judge will take the best scores of his games that equal the 70% game total, effectively dropping the lower scores for higher ones.

At the end of each game all points are totaled. The points a player earned in a battle are recorded on his battle card with a quick notation explaining the score (ex. Win, Broke Army, Painted). Each player should print the name of his opponent and have his opponent sign the battle card. Any scores recorded without signatures will be disregarded. Battle cards will be kept at the store until the league is completed.

Points are awarded by:

14 Game Win
10 Draw Game
6 Lost Game (Forfeit)
+1 If your opponent has won or drawn more game than you before the results of this game.
+1 If you broke the opponent's army
-1 If no enemy unit has been reduced to half strength or less, and/or no vehicles immobilized, or units falling back by the end of the game.
-1 If your army has more elite choices than troop choices.
-1 If your army has more fast attack than troop choices.
-1 If your army has more heavy support than troop choices.
+1 If your army is completely painted and the league game is currently over half the total number of games.
-1 If your army has models which are misrepresented in type of equipment.

An army is broken if a quarter or less (round down) of the models are alive at the end of the
game. Models with more than one wound, vehicles, or characters riding bikes or mounts are
considered one model. Troops which are falling back are also considered 'alive'. Models in
reserve are also considered alive for these purposes, even if they are never deployed. If both
armies are broken at the end of the game, both can claim the bonus

At the end of the season:

-10 The army is not completely painted.
+10 The army is completely painted.

An example:

A space marine player wipes out his opponent (who has currently won more games than the marine player) leaving only a handful of ork boys left on the table. In the marine's army he has chosen 2 troop and 3 fast attack units. It is near the end of the season and the ork player has completely painted his mobs, while the marine player still needs to finish an assault squad. The marine player gets 14 (victory) + 1 (broke enemy army) -1 (more fast attack than troops) +1 (beating an opponent with a better record) = 15 points. The orc player gets 6 (loss) +1 (having his army painted) = 7 points.

Scenarios

Primary Mission Table

1 Cleanse (WH40K)
2 Night Fight (WH40K)
3 Dawn Assault (WH40K)
4 Recon (WH40K)
5 Hold that objective (League Scenario)
6 First Blood modified (WD scenario)

DAWN ASSAULT

Scenario Special Rules

Deep Strike, Infiltrators, and Random Game Length. For the first turn only, night fighting rules are used.

Set-Up

Divide the table into quarters. Both players roll a die, the highest roll may pick which table quarter to deploy in. The opponent gets the opposite table quarter as a deployment zone.

The player who rolled lowest, deploys a unit and each player alternates unit deployment. Order of unit deployment is Heavy Support, Troops, Élites, HQ and finally, Fast attack. No unit can be deployed within 16" of the enemy. Infiltrators may be deployed after all other units, anywhere on the table, at least 16" away from the enemy. If both players have infiltrators, roll who gets to deploy first.

Roll who gets first turn. The highest score may elect to go 1st or 2nd.

Mission Objective

Both players must occupy as many table quarters as possible by the end of the game. The player with the most table quarters wins. To claim a table quarter, use the rules as in the Cleanse Mission.

Game Length

Game lasts for a random number of turns.

Line of Retreat

Troops fall back towards the nearest board edge in their deployment zone.

HOLD THAT OBJECTIVE

Scenario Special Rules

Deep Strike

Set-Up

Divide the table into two halves. Have an impartial person place a small object (barrel, crate, etc.) along the middle line of the table, between the two deployment zones. This object should be placed in the most open area, and not in terrain if possible. The object is the "objective". The object is considered impassible terrain and cannot be moved.

Both players roll a die with the highest choosing his deployment zone. The opponent gets the opposite edge. The deployment zone is up to 6" from the table edge.

Both players roll again and the lowest deploys first, with each player alternating units.
Deployment order is: Heavy Support, Troops, Elites, HQ, and finally Fast Attack.

Roll a die to determine who goes first. The player who rolls highest may elect to go first or second.

Mission Objective

Both players must secure the objective. At the end of the game, whichever side has a unit over half strength, or a vehicle with a functioning weapon (including an immobilized vehicle), within 6" of the objective is the victor. If no models are within 6", or both players have units/vehicles within 6"of the objective, it is a draw.

Game Length

The game lasts 6 turns.

Line of Retreat

Units fall back directly toward their deployment zone board edge.

FIRST BLOOD (modified)

Scenario Special Rules

Random game length (modified), Victory Points. For the first turn only, night fighting rules are used.

Set-Up

Divide the table into quarters. Both players roll a die, the highest roll may pick which table corner, or long table edge to deploy in. The opponent gets the opposite table corner, or edge as a deployment zone. The corner deployment zones are up to 12" in from each edge and up to half the length, and width, of the board. The long table deployment zone is the entire length of the table, up to 12" in from the edge.

The player who rolled lowest, deploys a unit and each player alternates unit deployment. Order of unit deployment is Heavy Support, Troops, Élites, HQ and finally, Fast attack. No unit can be deployed within 16" of the enemy.

Roll who gets first turn. The highest score may elect to go 1st or 2nd.

Mission Objective

Victory points are used for this scenario. In addition, each player gains an extra 100 victory points for claiming each table quarter by the end of the game (up to a maximum of 400 points). Use the Cleanse victory conditions for determining how a unit may claim a table quarter.

Game Length

Game lasts for a random number of turns, adding +1 to the die roll. In effect the game cannot end before turn 5.

Line of Retreat

Troops fall back towards the nearest board edge in their deployment zone.

Editted to correct scenario table (Odd_bloke)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a small league we did way back at my old hang out in Texas. We had a ton of fun and found out how much 550 point games are. Try em out at your local game club/store!

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I might try it, but I'll modify them so that we can use at least 1500 points. We prefer to play larger games, like 2,000-3,500.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Over the years I have run into several new 40K groups. I have always found this mentality of having huge games, or fielding at least 1500 point armies. When I bring up trying to play a smaller 550 game, most people do not want to do so, yet they have never played one (funny how most folks collect a ton of models so they can reach that 1,000 point mark before even playing).

I cannot stress how much fun it is playing a smaller force. And especially for new players, this is definitely the way to get into playing 40K. It is am immense challenge to build up such a small force that can take many types of armies. One major hump to get over is the idea of fodder troops, or the troops that are just there to die. In a 550 game you cannot have this mentality. Every unit choice is needed, and casualties can hurt.

You also find that tooled up characters will not win the game. Troops and vehicles become important, simply because they can help you achieve victory conditions (for Cleanse, characters cannot claim table quarters). I have learned to fear a hidden skimmer, simply because of it's rapid movement and how it can quickly claim, or dispute, a table quarter on the last turn.

Someone posted on another board what scenarios to get folks into playing 40K. I really feel a 550 point game is a great way to learn about the game. You really get a feel for the rules and most importantly how each race differs on the battlefield. You also get a feel for the weaknesses of your army and what you need to buy in order to compensate for them. And for 40K veterans, I think you will find the change of pace with a smaller game to be refreshing. You can literally get a game over in an hour. And I am not kidding when I say you can easily fit 3-4 games in an afternoon. Next time you run into the local gaming club, have your buddies throw together a 550 point force and skirmish them on the tabletop. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how fun the games are.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Even though certain units may be chosen as troop equivalents, they are still considered a special troop selection for the purposes of army composition. You may field this army using the selections as troops (i.e. Fast attack in a cult of speed ork army), but they will be subject to a penalty as described in the league standing point section.

I don't like this ruling much. These are the official rules. Those Fast Attack are Troops, not just Troops being Fast Attack. You shouldn't penalise people for following the rules and fitting in with the background of the army. That is unfair. If people didn't want to take Fast Attack as Troops they would take vanilla Orks (never thought I'd hear myself say that).

IV. Declare if a unit is rapid firing before checking the distance.
What happens if they are out of range?

Primary Mission Table

1 Cleanse (WH40K)
2 Night Fight (WH40K)
3 Patrol (WH40K)
4 Recon (WH40K)
5 Hold that objective (League Scenario)
6 First Blood modified (WD scenario)

DAWN ASSAULT
Where is this scenario used?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What happens if they are out of range?
The unit misses it's opportunity to fire. We are complete bastards when we play. Feel free to drop what you can. I posted this in hope that folks would use/modify/change the 'rules' until they ended up with something they like.

·
Registered
260 Posts
the 1st rule of fight club is is you do no talk about fight club the 2nd rule of fight club is is you do no talk about fight club the third rule no shirts no shoes the 4th rule 1 fight at a time fellas the 5th and final rule if its your 1st night you have to fight

sounds fun i might try this with some ppl

·
Registered
717 Posts
The rapid fire rule is completely unneeded, its one thing to be out of range of a weapons max range, its another to be within range but miss firing due to the fact that you cant shoot as many rounds as you wanted. Even the rogue trader judges allow you to see if you are in rapid fire range after you have determined if they are within normal firing range. Thats like saying "well i am not going to fire because i cant spray bullets at my enemy with a gun that is used for aimed shots and for rapid fire, yet they my enemy is within perfect sniping range." The rest of the ideas rock though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.