Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recent rumors and pdf of 5th edition have caused quite a stir in the gaming community over the earliness of its appearance and the magnitude of the changes. If the rumors are true, this will change the face of the game as we know it currently, instead of being the minor tweak to the rules we were expecting.

I have seen a great deal of both praise and criticism of the changes to game mechanics, and there its lots of discussion over whether the pdf is official and what it means for our armies. Some have considered quiting the game because of the havoc it wreaks with their current armies' rules or because their dislike of the new rules.

Yes, the rumors and authenticity of the pdf are not confirmed, but assuming they are, ultimately the golden rule is what matters.

My question is this: Will the game still be fun? Assuming the pdf was official and it were to come out tommorow, would you still have fun going out to chuck dice with your friends? Has our most important rule been lost or changed in the new edition?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
My question is this: Will the game still be fun? Assuming the pdf was official and it were to come out tommorow, would you still have fun going out to chuck dice with your friends? Has our most important rule been lost or changed in the new edition?
I say that beyond all the complaining and whining, the golden rule of having fun would still be there. These rumours of the fifth edition rules and the pdf beta have some changes that are unsettling for many, but most of those changes are all things that can be countered and/or worked around.

(Fact remains that all those rumours and the beta floating around have not, and most likely will not, been confirmed as true; its very sill to be making a big deal of unconfirmed rumours about something that is supposed to be a minor tweaking rather than the overhaul that has been seen on the net.)

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
The golden rule is indeed to have fun. As it stands the 5th edition changes could hurt both of the armies I currently play and while I could dish out cash and write new lists, I like they way my army plays now. I could even deal with it if it were just small changes, but because of the lists I have picked, and the style of play I prefer there is just no way to make an army with a comparable feel that I like. That being said, I am not going to stop playing 40k. My friends and I have all had a long chat about what we will do if the new rules come out, and we have all decided to continue to play 4th edition if we find that 5th edition is as bad as we think. Sure we won't be going to any tournaments any time soon with our lists, but if the key is to have fun then we will continue to play our armies as we like them.

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
General rule of thumb: people don't like getting taken out of their comfort zone.

I suspect we will get around 4 months of power gamers moaning about their awesome combo's not working anymore while golders (people who play for fun first and foremost) will get on with things and probably have a hell of a time :party2:

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
You guys know you dont have to convert to 5ht ed right? its mearly suggested viewing matter.if you guys all own your previous rules it should be no problem with resisting 5th ed, hell thats prolly what i'm going to be doing, but I may as well buy a copy of 5th ed just to see what its like.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
General rule of thumb: people don't like getting taken out of their comfort zone.

I suspect we will get around 4 months of power gamers moaning about their awesome combo's not working anymore while golders (people who play for fun first and foremost) will get on with things and probably have a hell of a time :party2:
Put me squarely in the latter category. Mostly, I'm jazzed about the changes I've seen in the leaked rules set. It will seriously change the way I play my army, and while I find that I probably won't be using standby units like I've been used to (which does make me sad), it will give me an excuse and opportunity to expand my tactical and strategic toolbox. Fun!

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
The changes as I see them now lengthen game turns considerably, and render tactics in general less complex, as well as lists.

These things take the competitiveness out of the game, to a degree. Average players will still claim it is just as competitive, just a different KIND of competitive. That doesn't mean they'll really be right.

Unless it plays out differently than it has so far in a LOT of leaked-rules playtesting, the game will actually be less fun. Will it still be somewhat fun? Maybe.

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
the way i see it, its not golden till its published and in stock at local gw stores. I'm totally not worried. however I am quite interested in 5th ed perks. Might be a change in 3 gens of 40k. Hey 4th ed for WHFB didnt turn out that bad did it? naw... =P

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is a lot like when WHF players learnt that the asur (High Elves) were getting ASF (always strike first). Everyone was pissed off (Dark elf player IMO were the only ones with a right to be pissed off, the others are sore losers). It turned out it wasn't even that influential in the outcomes of the games being played with the new Army Books. When you think about it ASF is a scarry thing to have to face, but once you start playing you realise there are bigger, badder, worse things to worry about.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
When you think about it ASF is a scarry thing to have to face, but once you start playing you realise there are bigger, badder, worse things to worry about.
Yeah. So many things out there much scarier than rules changes. Like, like war, poverty, racism, homophobia, ignorance, etc, etc, etc.

Life goes on. Eventually, once everybody gets content with 5th edition, 6th edition will come out and everybody will be up in arms again. It's the great circle of life.

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
oh yeah, we'll be like 80 years old and talking about 3rd ed. Kinda scary that the rate GW is going is that by the time were 80 there will be like 12 editions or more, (just like MTG)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.