Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ahhhhh....
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've suffered 6 shameful defeats (all 6 games ended on the top of 3rd turn) in a row against my friend's High Elf army, and I swear vengeance on his stinky elves!

He mainly takes a unit of archer, 2 bolt throwers, a mage, a noble, and then a gigantic unit of either Pheonix Guards or Dragon Princes w/ the banner that's immune to fear/terror. My army usually gets shot to pieces before they even see combat :0 Even if they do make it into combat crippled, his big block of hammer unit will just obliterate them.

I've made a couple lists and I would like some of you to evaluate before they take another shot at it. 7th defeat will not be a pretty one :p Especially if it ended on the 3rd turn as well.

List #1
Prince w/ Great Weapon, Collar
Liche Priest w/ nothing
Heirophant w/ Hieratic Jar

19 Skeleton Warriors w/ Shield, Light Armour, Standard, Champion
15 Skeleton Warriors w/ Shield (Priest Bunker .. VC play-style)

2 Tomb Scorpions
3 Swarms

The aim of this list is to slowly march up against my friend's shooting power while, "hopefully", regenerate enough so that they can see combat at full strengh.

List #2
Prince w/ Great Weapon, Collar
Liche Priest w/ nothing
Heirophant w/ Hieratic Jar

19 Skeleton Warriors w/ Shield
10 Skeleton Warriors w/ Shield (Priest Bunker)

2 Tomb Scorpions
1 Bone Giant

Same as the previous list, slow advance but instead of having Swarms for support.. there is a Bone Giant.

List #3
Prince w/ Great Weapon, Light Armour, Collar, Vambraces of the Sun
Liche Priest w/ Mounted, Heiratic Jar
Heirophant w/ Cloak of the Dunes

5 Skeleton Light Horseman
2 Swarms

1 Tomb Scorpion
5 Ushabti (It's really here to deny his victory if he doesnt kill them)

I thought about my friend's list, he puts nearly half of his army into one unit so I thought why not put up a point denial list up against his. 5 Ushabti joined by Prince and the Heirophant will make this unit over half of my army. Heirophant has the Cloak of Dunes which will let him escape harm in time. This list will have to depend on the terrain so I will have to place all the hills in the centre to deny my friend having LoS to the entire battlefield.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Ok, 1st off, lets look at what you are having to do. Your problem lies in the fact that you are aiming to advance at the HE army, and in turn you get shot to bits. Once there, you stand no chance in combat. Its not surprising youre getting defeated really.

Now, thinking logically, try standing back and using the range to your advantage. The HE will have to come to you. Got an SSC?? Get it on the field. As the HE advance, one nice shot on his huge fighting unit should see them severely weakened. And if they dont advance, well, just let him sit there and shoot it out. The SSC will win i think, with its special rules and your ability to heal whatever takes wounds from the HE ranged attack.

Now, the clever part. Whether the HE advance or not, you have a nice way of removing his ranged offense. Get yourself a Scorp and a Swarm, and use ICFB. Negating the ranged units (Bolters, and bowmen with a good rear charge from the Scorp)

Now, thats your Rare, 1 special and 1 Core selected. Id advise you to also take a unit of 3 Chariots, to hit the (weakened) HE combat unit once they get close to you. The 3rd Special is up to you, decide between a second Scorp to help with ICFB, or 3 Carrion which will be aiming for a 1st turn charge on the Bolters, with the assistance of magic. If you want this to happen, throw a few spells onto the SSC 1st and then use the Hieros spell and Hieratic Jar to make sure it gets through. Hopefully your opponant will have concentrated their dispelling attempts on the SSC.

Finally youll need a second Core choice. Go with bow skellies, a nice big unit for the Prince to join once you are ready for him to (see later). Id recomment 19 skellies atleast, 24 if you can. Add music and banner.

Now, onto Characters.

Youll need a Prince. Go with the Collar and a GW. Initially ahve him with the SSC crew so he can use his spell on the SSC, maximising the offennsiveness of your magic. When the enemy gets closer, move him into the Bow unit (who will then reform from shooting to fighting formation) to fight.

Hiero, go with the Cloak and HJar. Keep him hidden, flexible, and safe.

Finaly a second Priest. Dont think youll have points left to equip him well so keep him naked and nearby the SSC early on, also ready to support magical charges of Carrion and Chariots if needs be later on.

Do not let either Priest get into combat.

Hopefull, all that together should see you right :) Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We agree 100% with Deceiver. Put some ranged units on the board and especially grab a SSC. With the LP casting smiting you will be able to injure a large part of his army before he can reach you.

Lannymay

·
Ahhhhh....
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, 1st off, lets look at what you are having to do. Your problem lies in the fact that you are aiming to advance at the HE army, and in turn you get shot to bits. Once there, you stand no chance in combat. Its not surprising youre getting defeated really.

Now, thinking logically, try standing back and using the range to your advantage. The HE will have to come to you. Got an SSC?? Get it on the field. As the HE advance, one nice shot on his huge fighting unit should see them severely weakened. And if they dont advance, well, just let him sit there and shoot it out. The SSC will win i think, with its special rules and your ability to heal whatever takes wounds from the HE ranged attack.
My original list involves in using 2 Scorpions, 2 units of 10 archers, a unit of 3 ushabti, and a SSC. The SSC only has 1 turn of chance to shoot if I dont get to go first, his Dragon Princes will march down 16" on the first turn that puts me in charge range on the second turn. I know what you are probably thinking, two well placed SSC shot will see off those knights but then again.. you cant always rely on your dice luck and so far none of my dice luck goes my way -- either misfire or scatter 8"-10" off. Even 20 archers shooting at the knights with 2+ save wouldnt do much at all. The Ushabti would just get stabbed to death by the lance charges. Scorpions dont really matter at this point anymore, because my battleline will be breached on the second turn which the Scorpions probably would not even turn up (on 4+) .. which is exactly what happened for 3 games in a row.

I need something that's solid, something that can stand up to the hammering units of Elves. Something that doesnt wipe the entire front rank plus a couple more everytime they strikes (with ASF), and force your unit into crumble every turn. :0 .. and all that has to fit into 600pts, because the Prince + 2 Priests already takes up 330pts not including any magic items.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
I need something that's solid, something that can stand up to the hammering units of Elves. Something that doesnt wipe the entire front rank plus a couple more everytime they strikes (with ASF), and force your unit into crumble every turn.
So basically... you dont want TK... :p :(

Just try my advice and list structure, if you can get 1st turn then you should be ok. Just keep at it. Dont worry too much, TK are 'weaker' for beginners at low points, once you get to 2K you should wipe the floor with the HE lol, having a better army and more experiance.

Whenever we face Cav, we can suffer against their speed. Try and use terrain and tactical deployment to your advantage. Look into Refused Flank, and also dont deploy as far forward as possible. I always try to place my SSC 6" into my edge, and then memorise the distances to key targets.

·
Ahhhhh....
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow.. the #2 list worked out better than I thought it would. I totally massacred my friend's High Elves today, using the VC's strategy of moving the bunker up behind the main unit while still staying in range to provide magic support. ;o

The highlight has to be when his Dragon Princes destroyed my Tomb Prince and his skeleton unit in his combat phase, then gets charged by my bone giant who's hiding behind a hill nearby... this guy made my friend roll 11 5+ armour save on his Dragon Princes :0 .....

·
Registered
190 Posts
well thats good news, it took me several games before i could win at all. Plus the BG is awesome. But if u want any new ideas id suggest using carrion to kill the siege if u dislike using scorps/swarms. Also, im glad that u proved that a BG is good, when i last played HE i got dominated by the dragonprinces, perhaps i can use a BG to help a unit out in combat with those guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts