Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my lGS is holding an escalation style campaign beginning mid november, starting at 600pts and making its way to 2400, maybe 3k points... Most of you will remember my 2500pt list, well this campaign is just the motivation I was looking for to get me going... At the present time I am just looking for a little 600pt list to get me going.. here are my thoughts at the moment:

HERO

-Savage Orc Big Boss
--Great Weapon
--Armour of Silvered Steel
--Luck Stone

Im looking at this as my general over a shaman for two reasons, first being the higher base leadership than the Shaman, secondly I feel that running a level 1 at 600pts would be pointless and very unlikely to actually get anything off.

CORE

-17x Savage Orc Big Uns
--Standard w/Razor Banner
--AHW's

My smash face hammer unit, bit of a shame not to have the shrunken head but i will live. Considering a champ to protect the Big Boss from unwanted challenges, but he is alot of points???

-30 Goblins
--Shields
--Standard

Ye'Ol Anvil, hoping that 30 should be enough 600pts?

-5x Goblin Wolf Riders
--Shields
--Spears
--Musician

War Machine hunters/Get in the way Unit, considering maybe 10??

Basically that is the Core of my list. I am looking at maybe taking a chariot/pump wagon or two to fill up the remainding points - all suggestions welcome, but the main thing hampering me at the moment is $. I have begun painting the Savages and will hopefully have some pics to go sooner rather than later... May even make this my Army List/Building Diary.

Again, all comments/criticism welcome and appreciated, thak you.

-Poke-

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like the unit of savages I would in crease the number of the unit to 30+ on a bigger list . And the gobbos I personally would go with nt goblins however this depends on the fluff if you like plains gobos thats fine but ive always loved them cave dwellers wolf rider's are okay I have some too and the big boss is pretty sweet to I agree with not chosing a shaman of only lvl 1 is generally pretty useless.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so the list I have settled on is this:

HERO

-Savage Orc Big Boss
--Great Weapon
--Armour of Silvered Steel
--Luck Stone

CORE

-17x Savage Orc Big'Uns
--Standard
--Additional Hand Weapons

-25x Goblins
--Standard
--Shields

-8x Goblin Wolf Riders
--Standard
--Spears & Shields

RARE

-Snotling Pump Wagon
--Spikey Rolla
--Out Rigga

=599.5pts

I had a little game against a fellow campaignian on Saturday, he had chosen Dark Elves and was relatively new to fantasy. His list consisted of a combat general, 15x Spears, 10x Crossbows, 10x Swords & a Bolt Thrower... Not the most effective list, but one he decided to start with to incorporate all of his core units. The Mission was "The Watch Tower" - Now i remind you that we are both very new to fantasy and its rule set so keep an open mind when it comes to noobish mistakes :p

Dark Elves won the roll off and decide to take the tower with his spears (in hind sight, after reading the "Building" assualt rules we both agreed he should have set his swords inside). I deploy my Savages directley in line with the Tower and alongside a small ruin, his bolt thrower is placed to the right of his deployment zone alongside a small forest, my goblins go the opposite side of the small ruin, lining up with the right side of the tower, His x-bows go opposite my goblins (he had no idea of the strength of my savages and opted to try his swords & general against them in combat), my pump wagon goes a little to the right of my goblins, his swords are placed next to the bolt thrower hoping to catch the savages and help out his spears (it was at this point that he realised if his swords moved they would block his Bolt Thrower, doh!), and my wolves went to my far left flank hoping to run around the small forests and tie up his bolt thrower.

VANGUARD - Wolves move 12" forward to put pressure on the bolt thrower.

O&G T1 - Animosity is passed HUZZAH! (I will take any victory no matter how small :p), Savages March up within a few inches of the tower, goblins move forward about 6.5" just to keep his x-bows at long range if they decide to move forward. Pump wagon rolls 9" on its three D6 and heads straight forward, Wolves March 18" and reform to face the bolt thrower, about 5" away and behind soft cover (a small wood).

DE T1 - Swords March forward blocking his bolt thrower from seeing my savages, his x-bows move forward (I credit this to inexperience on my opponents part.. HUZZAH! another minor victory to me! :D). Spears muster up their courage (hatred?) for the impending assualt on their tower. Shooting - His bolt thrower faces the wolves and lets rip with 6 shots, hitting 4 and wounding 4, I fail my 4 six ups, it is at this point that the wolf riders renew their fear of the pointy ears and flee directly away from the bolt thrower and off the edge of the known world (it is also at this point I realise my opponent takes any and all minor victories that come his way, as he starts to do a little "I shot it and it died jig!" - game on!). His x-bows fire single shots at my goblins, hitting 2 and wounding 1, the arrow hits the goblins smart phone (strategically placed in his shirt pocket) and bounces right off, passing on his 6+ (HUZZAH! for smart phones!).

O&G T2 - Animosity is failed by the goblins, they will do nothing this turn as they decide who will run to the shop to get steve a new smart phone... Pump wagon (that was completely ignored by my opponent last turn) decides to line up the x-bows and pump harder... 18" is rolled, which is more than enough to make the elves go splat! Savages declare a charge against the Tower and make it. Combat - Pump wagon rolls 8 for its impact hits, killing 7 x-bows, no return wounds, snots kill another with their incredible combat skills, the elves turn tail and run, only to be run down by the boogervan (could not find whether the "random movement" allowed for it to pursue, my opponent was happy to roll off for it and i won the roll). Savages wanted to send 10 of their kin into the tower, but the Big Boss busted a few skulls and placed himself in charge of the raiding party. 5 of the spears decided to poke their tips at the Boss only to find no holes in his armour for them to penetrate (mind the puns), whilst the other five stabbed their pointy shafts at the Savages killing none and taking 13 casualties in return (it is at this point that my opponent realises how nasty savages are in combat, yet stubbornly confirms that his remaining 2 spears will hold the tower until the game ends), the elves hold due to being steadfast, though my opponent believes it is due to his stubborn resilience.

DE T2 - Swords declare a charge on the savages outside the tower (werent 100% sure on how this resolves, but just treated it as a regular multi-combat and models in the raiding party werent considered to be part of the savage unit for ranks/who could hit back against the spears - need clarrification here!!). Shooting - Bolt thrower turns to face the boogervan, shoots 6 shots, deciding that with the way things are going he would likely miss his single shot. 5 Hits, 1 wound... Combat - His general decides to issue a challenge, which my Big Boss gracefully accepts, he gets 3 hits, 0 wounds, I begin to feel for my opponent when my Big Boss inflicts 3 wounds and he fails to save a single one on 4+ with a luckstone, his general becomes a pile of elf soup as the combat continues... After his swords and reamaing spears kill 3 Savages my raiding party make short work of his reamining 2 spears (my opponent still believes they will hold...), remaining savages smack and kill 4 or 5 swords, the swords run however the savages having wiped the unit from the tower decide to garrison rather than pursue (this was also unclear, as the "Assualting a building" rules say that if the assualting force wipes/makes flee the unit garrisoning then they can choose to garrison, whereas frenzy means i must pursue, but with the assualting force in the tower my opponent decided that i should get to choose??).

O&G T3 - Animosity is Passed by all (HUZZAH! steve got his new phone),Pump Wagon turns to face the Bolt Thrower, being only 8" away i decide to not risk the 4th dice and roll only 3... 7" is the result (stupid me!), Savages stay put to hold the game objective, Goblins move around the tower to face off against the fleeing swords should they decide to regroup next turn.

DE T3 - Swords regroup, Shooting - Bolt thrower turns to the hooning snotlings, fires a single bolt and ends their joy ride removing its remaining 2 wounds.

O&G T4 - Animosity is failed once again by the Goblins (Barry got Steve an I-Phone, when he specifically said he wanted the new Samsung Galaxy). Savages pass their frenzy charge test and hold.

DE T4 - Swords charge the goblins and just make it, Bolt thrower lets loose a few bolts into the tower killing 2 Orcs. Gobbos pass their fear test, swords hit 4 and wound 4 killing 1 due to some good rolling on my part, Gobbos kill a single elf, i win by 1 due to rank bonus... his swords flee, Steve is pissed and runs them down all by himself!

A dice is rolled revealing a 6 + game turn = 10, game is complete. O&G hold the tower and win!

In all it was a one sided affair, my opponent knew not to expect to much of his core choices and (after alot of debate) has decided to remove some core and add a hard hitting unit to his list. I had some decent dice rolling but in all was not forced to make many crucial saves. If he had played defensively and decided to stay back and wittle my savages down I think he could have done better. After the battle we discussed everything that we could have done better and things that each of us would have done if in the other players shoes, it was a good eye opener and a good learning experience for us both.

Interested to hear what you all think, and whether we did things correctly?

-Poke-

·
Registered
616 Posts
there's only one thing standing out to me: After the combat with the building is done, if the unit inside does NOT break all of the attacking units back up and they are no longer considered to be in contact. Congrats on the win!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that makes things alot easier to manage next time cheers, I knew there must have been something that we had done wrong because nothing seemed to cover those situations :p

-Poke-

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Great report Death Poke.

DE T2 - Swords declare a charge on the savages outside the tower (werent 100% sure on how this resolves, but just treated it as a regular multi-combat and models in the raiding party werent considered to be part of the savage unit for ranks/who could hit back against the spears - need clarrification here!!). Shooting - Bolt thrower turns to face the boogervan, shoots 6 shots, deciding that with the way things are going he would likely miss his single shot. 5 Hits, 1 wound... Combat - His general decides to issue a challenge, which my Big Boss gracefully accepts, he gets 3 hits, 0 wounds, I begin to feel for my opponent when my Big Boss inflicts 3 wounds and he fails to save a single one on 4+ with a luckstone, his general becomes a pile of elf soup as the combat continues... After his swords and reamaing spears kill 3 Savages my raiding party make short work of his reamining 2 spears (my opponent still believes they will hold...), remaining savages smack and kill 4 or 5 swords, the swords run however the savages having wiped the unit from the tower decide to garrison rather than pursue (this was also unclear, as the "Assualting a building" rules say that if the assualting force wipes/makes flee the unit garrisoning then they can choose to garrison, whereas frenzy means i must pursue, but with the assualting force in the tower my opponent decided that i should get to choose??).
If you haven't found the rules for this yet, this is the ruling on assaulting a building.

If you assault a building but do not wipe out/ break the defenders you are 'pushed back' 1" from the building. This effectively ends the combat. The Swords charging you in his following turn would have been a separate combat as you are no longer in combat with the spears(defenders) meaning you would have run after them and left his 2 spearmen in the tower poking 2 fingers up at you ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts