Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gents/ladies I seem to have a 700 point tournament coming up later this month. I am having trouble writing a list out for it.

Now normally i would be all about this, but it is at such an awkward point level. I am confused as to use one hero or two. According to the guy running the tourny there is no comp score so i can be as nasty as i want (please read: HAIL OF DOOM!). HODA is too strong of an item to leave out.

I know for a fact i will be up against:
Tomb Kings
Vampire Counts
Demons of Chaos
Dwarves

So hook me up with some 700 point help!

Right now i am debating somthing along the lines of this:

Hero
Noble
-Great Eagle
-spear
-Light Armor
-Shield
-Hail of Doom
-Helm of the Hunt

Core
Dryads x8
Glade Guard x10

special
War Dancers x7
War Dancers x7

Rare
Great Eagle

Total: 699
PD: 2
DD: 2

Now here is the problem i have no magic defense besides active D!
The War Dancer MR1 helps a little and the HODA will hopefully be able to crush a unit with an enemy mage. Any ideas?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Your general, on a great eagle, may not be the best place to put him. He will be picked of by any shooting, giving your opponant a huge advantage with all those points +100 for killing your general. It would probably be better to put him in a unit.

That one great eagle won't do much but I suppose for march blocking it could be usful but will yet again be high on the "shoot next" list.

Alround though not a bad list, very manouverable which rules house at below 1000 points ant can pack a punch in combat. I wouldn't worry about magic defense as you won't face much at this points level.

Good luck:beer:

·
Registered
505 Posts
HoDA is always a strong choice! One thing that stands out is you have very few fast/hard hitting options.

Maybe spec your general for close combat and put him on foot in the war dancers and swap the second unit for a standard alter?

I think you need some hard hitting flankers.

Alternatively, you can take a 115 point combat wraith, and then swap one of the wardancer units for a standard alter instead. After that you can turn the eagle into Wild Riders or Warhawks with the left-over points.

·
4,361 Posts
I think I would put the general on foot as well. Going in a wardancer unit will give him ItP, which will be important against all the fear causers you list. And get a champ in that unit as well. With the few extra points, an additional wardancer in each unit would be good.

Good luck,
SirKently

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i got some great feedback.
and now i have some more thinking to do.

couple of questions:

1) 1 or 2 heroes? 700pnts is right at that awkward level where 1 hero might seem like not enough and 2 heroes might be pushing it.

2) How to equip the Noble if he is hiding with the war dancers?

3) Rare Choice: Eagle, Way Watchers, or save the points for special choices possibly Wild Riders?

·
Registered
505 Posts
1) I know I mentioned maybe getting an alter kin. Honestly, I only recommended that to get you a flanker. IMO, he's our most efficient option at that. Probably stick with the one.

2) The Blades of Loec are always a strong choice. He can add a significant number of wounds on the charge. The moon stone is also very popular, but I think will be very limited without lots of singing to set things up. I've also found that the Amber Pendant can be a nasty surprise. The last option is the netlings, however, I think on a t3 hero they are overrated. The amount of re-rolls to hit combined with wound amplifiers, combined with sheer number of attacks make the chances of just getting two hits in too high for a reliable challenge chumber. On a t3 hero, those will very quickly will translate into two wounds. I never run that on anything weaker than a branch wraith.

That said, it's low leadership, and does not have the same combat power, but a radient/netling caddy wraith is a strong choice, IMHO.

3) Great Eagle I'd say. Way Watchers are cost-prohibitive.

If you want speedy combative options (like Wild Riders), a standard alter can be used instead. He gets 5s6attacks, as compared to 5s5 + 5s3 attacks. Higher strength, less volume. However, 360LOS, the HoDA, and a smaller base minimizing their ability to shoot him, and strike back.

Disadvantages are that he does not break ranks and does not have staying power in combat.

Of course, both of these are cost prohibitive. You could consider them when you upgrade to 1K.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ya i think i am going to go with the single hero, after toying with points and units and i just cant seem to justify taking two heroes.

I really am just trying to multiple things here, and your responses are definitely getting me thinking of different lists.

Hero
Noble: 152
-Wild Rider Kindred
-Hail of Doom
-Elven Steed

Core
Glade Guard x10: 120
Dryads x8: 96

Special
War dancer x7 + BladeSinger: 140
Wild Riders x5 + full Command + War banner: 191

total: 699
PD: 2
DD: 2
Model count: 31

Now this list is a bit different. I usually really like my symmetry and this list does not have it :( and i very rarely run a wild rider noble, but i think its something different and could be fun to play. It gives me a moderately powerful and very quick unit with a +2 combat resolution to boot. Also he can deliver my Hail of Doom arrow. I know he doesn't have 360 degree vision, but it shouldn't matter to much.

Ok, now lets tear apart this one.
(thanks a lot thou :D )

----
edit: forgot about adding an elven steed so i made 7 war dancers with a champ instead of 8 with music

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sorry. :p

I know sometimes my advice about lists is "here! Here's a totally different idea!!!!" I get excited sometimes. :p
My own army lists have about 5 variants per list which I have to test.

I do think that the Wild Riders are going to be a really strong choice, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Only thing is I see very little point in taking a blade singer in the unit of wardancers if there is no character going in the unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts