Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as the title says rather new to the scene. I've played games before and enjoyed it, mostly I enjoy painting but want to get a decent army for myself. Orks have always been funny and unique to me so decided to start with them.

From what I've gathered their bikes are pretty darn good and so are Koptas. I'd eventually like to get a Stompa but for right now what I'm thinking. Close combat and Krump!
Let me know what you think.

Warboss
+Blitzbike +Klaw

11 Slugga Boyz
+Eavy Armor
+Nob +Klaw
+Trukk +Boarding Plank

11 Slugga Boyz
+Eavy Armor
+Nob +Klaw
+Trukk +Boarding Plank

3 Deffkoptas
+Rokkits +Buzzsaw

4 Warbikerz

32 Total Units
732 Points

·
Registered
423 Posts
Firstly, hello and welcome to a fellow greenskin!

Right, I have to admit I don't usually write smaller lists as most games tend to be about 2000 points and orks are notorious for being difficult to play using small forces.

However that being said let me offer some critique.

As the Trukks are kitted out with planks I'm assuming that this is so the uit can assault? If so drop the sluggas. You want them getting as many attacks as possible in combat.

Deffkoptas are good in larger games unfortunately smaller they are way too much of a point sink. You're looking at nearly the points value of a nobz unit and they are going to do a lot more damage. I'd be tempted to drop them and replace them with nobz. Or a couple more units of boys. Hell you want to be really annoying take a second warboss led bike unit!

Warbikes are solid and a warboss in there gives them a lot of punch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok since you said 750 is kind of hard to make Orks work, how about this 1250 list. I really like Koptas and want to keep some in there. Each boss will run with its appropriate group of units.

Warboss
Blitzbike + Powerklaw

Warboss
Mega Armor + BP

x5 Meganobz
Skortcha x2
Trukk w/ Boarding Plank

x12 Slugga Boyz
Nob w/ Klaw
BP
Trukk w/ Boarding Plank

x12 Slugga Boyz
Nob w/ Klaw
BP
Trukk w/ Boarding Plank

x12 Slugga Boyz
Nob w/ Klaw
BP
Trukk w/ Boarding Plank

x3 Deffkoptas
Rokkits + Buzzsaw

x7 Warbikerz

1242 pts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok since you said 750 is kind of hard to make Orks work, how about this 1250 list. I really like Koptas and want to keep some in there. Each boss will run with its appropriate group of units.

Warboss
Blitzbike + Powerklaw

Warboss
Mega Armor + BP

x5 Meganobz
Skortcha x2
Trukk w/ Boarding Plank

x12 Slugga Boyz
Nob w/ Klaw
BP
Trukk w/ Boarding Plank

x12 Slugga Boyz
Nob w/ Klaw
BP
Trukk w/ Boarding Plank

x12 Slugga Boyz
Nob w/ Klaw
BP
Trukk w/ Boarding Plank

x3 Deffkoptas
Rokkits + Buzzsaw

x7 Warbikerz

1242 pts
In case one of the normal mobs of Boyz gets its' trukk blown to bits, I suggest making one of them 'Ard Boyz; any one mob of Troops can be upgraded this way, but I forget the exact rules, not having my Codex to hand. It does mean a 4+ Armour Save so they will no longer automatically die if wounded by most common sidearms, as I don't recall many armies where most units carry AP4 as standard....

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
In case one of the normal mobs of Boyz gets its' trukk blown to bits, I suggest making one of them 'Ard Boyz; any one mob of Troops can be upgraded this way, but I forget the exact rules, not having my Codex to hand. It does mean a 4+ Armour Save so they will no longer automatically die if wounded by most common sidearms, as I don't recall many armies where most units carry AP4 as standard....
Any and all Mobz of Boyz can be upgraded to 'Ard Boyz now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm, OK; I do have the Codex upstairs in my room, but I don't usually make the effort to learn them so well I can recall rules verbatim; BTW, this is not a criticism of any of you, it's just how I roll when it comes to wargaming...
I don't think Marius was having a dig at you mate, just confirming the option you mentioned. Previous editions of the Ork Codex let you upgrade one unit to a mob of 'Ard Boyz. The latest one lets you upgrade any number.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think Marius was having a dig at you mate, just confirming the option you mentioned. Previous editions of the Ork Codex let you upgrade one unit to a mob of 'Ard Boyz. The latest one lets you upgrade any number.
I kind of knew that, I'm sorry if it came across that I was complaining otherwise. I hoped the "not a criticism" had cleared that up, but possibly not.

It's just, I honestly have serious RL stuff I need to remember more than WHFB or WH40K; I wish I didn't, but I'm sure you guys know about RL cutting into hobby time...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mate, I'm married with 3 kids. I know all about RL cutting into hobby time.

There's also a really handy app (if you haven't got it already) - Battlescribe. The Old Version still works (although isn't supported) - lets you make army lists on the go.

Other than that, I rely on a mix of digital copies and a bloody long time involved in the hobby

·
Registered
42 Posts
That 1250 list looks a lot more solid.

And yes I did get slugga and shoota mixed up, mainly because I just refer to my boyz as boyz :p
Well sluggaz and shootaz are, as you may know, the Ork versions of bolters and bolt pistols; if you are willing to lose an attack every round of close combat(I think), feel free to go for shootaz. The only problem is that with the BS or Orks, you will be hitting most things only on 5+.....

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Hmm, OK; I do have the Codex upstairs in my room, but I don't usually make the effort to learn them so well I can recall rules verbatim; BTW, this is not a criticism of any of you, it's just how I roll when it comes to wargaming...
Didn't take it as a criticism, and mine wasn't a dig at you. My last big project was an Ork warband and I have a good memory for rules and remembering lists I have come up with, and the last list had 6 mobs of 'Ard Boyz in Trukks.

And never discount the power of Ork shooting: in small amounts you almost never hit anything, but look at a full mob of Shoota Boyz or Lootas opening up; that's an insane number of shots, and even just 1/3rd hitting means a lot of damage. It's why my Battlewagons have a Kannon and 4 Rokkits, it's a cheap build and you can usually rely on at least two hitting something. And if that Battlewagon is loaded up with Tankbustas, whoo Nelly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Didn't take it as a criticism, and mine wasn't a dig at you. My last big project was an Ork warband and I have a good memory for rules and remembering lists I have come up with, and the last list had 6 mobs of 'Ard Boyz in Trukks.

And never discount the power of Ork shooting: in small amounts you almost never hit anything, but look at a full mob of Shoota Boyz or Lootas opening up; that's an insane number of shots, and even just 1/3rd hitting means a lot of damage. It's why my Battlewagons have a Kannon and 4 Rokkits, it's a cheap build and you can usually rely on at least two hitting something. And if that Battlewagon is loaded up with Tankbustas, whoo Nelly.
I take it the point of the Tankbustas is to "WAAAGH!" over the sides at anything the weapons can't handle....? Also, is it better to have the BW open-topped, or fully armoured?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I take it the point of the Tankbustas is to "WAAAGH!" over the sides at anything the weapons can't handle....? Also, is it better to have the BW open-topped, or fully armoured?
Nope. Keep the Wagon open-topped and have all 15 Tankbustas wielding Rokkits. That's 20 Rokkit shots and up to 3 Bomb Squigs at whatever you shoot. That's an average of 7 Rokkits hitting a target, so that should be enough to wreck anything that isn't AV14 or kill at least 5 or 6 Marines. Keep it shooty, keep it moving.

Same tactics can be used for Flash Gitz but it's more expensive and more of an anti-infantry wagon than anti-tank. In that case replace Rokkits with Big Shootas and the Kannon with a Lobba.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
If you have them Waaagh out the side, then there's a couples problems: one, they have to be in the right place at the right time for you to call a Waaagh, and then you're calling the Waaagh just for one unit, or you're attempting to have everything in place at the same time across your army for a Waaagh. Which is difficult as Orks are a clunky army.

Second, Tankbustas assaulting what the Wagon shoots makes the Tankbustas a one trick pony. Once they're out of the Wagon they become far less maneuverable (so you have a smaller threat range) and are more vulnerable to counterfire. Instead, keep them in the Wagon and they can shoot every turn; you're not spending time loading them back up fpr another go two turns after they charge out.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.