Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well recently me and my friend had a mini battle. Here was my list.

Daemon Prince
Wings

7 Plague Marines
2 meltas
Champ w/ PF
Rhino

7 Plague Marines
2 plasma
Champ w/ PF

2 Obliterators

Well, i moved my rhino troops to hit his left flank and kill his fish, FW and kroot. Footsloggers went after a stationary FW squad, drones and XV8s
His turn he got my daemon prince down 3 wounds and rhino immobilized.
Onward, ended up my troops were annoying (to quote "33 SHOTS AND NO WOUNDS!??!?!?! WTF") but couldnt even compete.
His XV8's and gun drones used a JSJ (jump shoot jump) strat and screwed me up.
He also used "Fish of Fury" (Devilfish with troops, troops are on the side of fish and shoot under, and my troops can't charge him.)

Any suggestions? Help?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I feel your pain, mechanized and jump suit tau can be brutal. You have so few troops at this points level that jet packing tau is really irritating (not that it ever isn't!)

Of course, the best way to stop fish of fury is to get rid of the devilfish, but sometimes that's not an option. Often taking a FoF isn't the end of the world. I find that in a turn they will kill a couple normal marines on average. You'd probably lose maybe 1 plague marine. The firewarriors will try to all exit from the far side of the transport. They have to all be within 2" of the door, meaning they are completely bunched up. Instead of assaulting, i use the opportunity to land a nice blast template (I play emperor's children so blastmaster in my case, but I can see a plasma cannon from an obliterator working just as well) on the clump (you can get maybe 5 if you're lucky), and you have a good chance of sending his fw squad falling back from that one shot alone. Not such a bad deal considering the cost of the fish of fury.

As for the list, if you're feeling particularly cheesy and unfluffy, a lash of submission can really mess up their plans. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Against Tau, the Champs with PF are not really needed, and you have a lot of points tied up in those models.

How about:

6 PM 2 PG
6 PM 2 PG
Demon Prince w/ Wings
Demon Prince w/ Wings
1 Obliterator
1 Obliterator

The Demon Princes will survive to hunt down the XV8's or kill off anything they can catch, and the PM will take care of Firewarriors. When he FoF's you, you are only going to lose 1 PM on average, and your bolter, PG, return fire will kill off 3, forcing a leadership test, overall you come out ahead.

Oblits are just icing on the cake, they will help out in little ways throughout the game.

PM high toughness and FnP make then very survivable against small arms fire. I would rather the PMs get shot at rather than the DPs, whose wings will take the battle to their lines, as the PMs march forward and help out in turn 3 on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Attempt 2

Following a bit of what i've learned, here was my next attempt.

9 PM's PGx2
8 PM's PGx2
Daemon Prince Wings and Warptime
1 Oblit
1 Oblit

This attempt went MUCH better. I crushed a good deal of his force, the Daemon Prince absolutely ravaged his guys (jumpsuits, fire warriors, gun drones and kroot oh my!) and the plagues did their part (killed whatever the prince didnt). However, once Mr. Prince died to 12 kroot and a Battlesuit Commander (not without killing 8 kroot and 3 wounds to the suit!) the game went down hill. He used his fish and killed one of my plague squads, and i killed his fish (with...krak grenades). However, my other squad just barely took down the entire kroot squad (moral victory) before getting owned by footsloggers.

It's pretty fun to plasma cannon bunched Tau. =D

I think i might follow kb10r's strat and field 2 princes (i'll say my greater is a prince ;))
Anymore suggestions are welcome =D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.