-Leman russ battle tank
-Lascannon
-Heavy bolter sponsors

= 750 pts

·
Registered
478 Posts
HQ
Good, nice to see somebody using snipers... autocannon is good but i might reconsider the snipers if i were you they are better used in large numbers (like 10 ratlings) 4 Grenade launchers or meltaguns would be slightly better i think

Troops
Plasma pistols are risky because if they misfire then they will take down the leadership of your squad. Wouldn't bother, and would swap the missile launcher for an autocannon

Fast attack
seems to be alright what role do you want them to play? If they are light tank hunters lascannons are fine.

Heavy support
Lascannon and heavy bolters don't work together heavy bolters are anti infantry and lascannon is better for anti-light armour. Consider hull-mounted heavy bolters

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
First, remove all the individual point costs for upgrades. It goes against Games Workshop's IP and the forum rules. Point totals for units is fine.

Secondly, the list:

HQ: Fine, no problems. I also like to see Snipers now and again.

Troops: Remove the Plasma Pistols. One misfire and your Ld goes down, which isn't worth it. I would personally get rid of the Missile Launcher and keep both squads mobile. Demolitions is too expensive in a 750pt list, take it off.

Fast: Instead of two Sentinels with Lascannons for 140pts, you could have one Vendetta with 3 (Twin-Linked!) Lascannons for 130pts. It also doubles as a transport for quick contesting of objectives. Vendetta is the much better choice. Armoured Sentinels suck. Either go Scout Sentinels w/ Autocannon or get rid of them.

Heavy: Get rid of Sponsons and get a Hull Heavy Flamer instead of Lascannon. Then upgrade the tank to a Demolisher.

Assuming you did the above, you'll now have 80 points to spend. Another Veteran Squad (more objective holders doesn't hurt), Chimera for the CCS or Marbo are good choices. I would be tempted to give the CCS 4 x Plasmaguns and a Chimera and give both Veteran Squads 3 x Meltagun instead. CCS' make much better Plasmagunners because they can twin-link against Monstruous Creatures.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
HQ
-CCS
-Autocannon
-2x sniper rifle
-camo cloaks

I think that sniper rifles, especially in small numbers, offer dicey performance at best. Grenade launchers might offer more utility and flexibility. Ratlings might be a better way to go if you want snipers. Shaving point of the upgrades in this list might afford you a unit of them or perhaps a chimera for your command squad.

Troops
-Veteran squad 1
-plasma pistol
-3x plasma guns
-missile launcher

Plasma is safer when employed in a CCS with a medipack. Grenade launchers would save some points here and give you the choice between crack (for light vehicles MEQ) and frag grenades (for light infantry targets). You might also consider an autocannon here instead of the missile launcher. It's cheaper, and gets 2 shots and a 12" longer range. The extra point of str wont matter, as str 8 will never kill AV 14, and 7 is just as good vs everything else.

-Veteran squad 2
-plasma pistol
-3x melta guns
-demolitions
-Chimera

Solid choice, the core troop of many mech armies. Meltas shine against heavy vehicles and MC. Demolitions is expensive at this point level and as mentioned before, losing your sergeant to a plasma misfire can have bad consequences. The points spent on those upgrades might be better spent elsewhere.

Fast attack
-2x Armoured sentinels with lascannons

A decent low end fast attack choice, although autocannons may be just as good as the lascannons at this point level. I would not expect too many high AV targets at 750 points, and autocannons give you a second shot, which is nice at BS3.

Heavy support
-Leman russ battle tank
-Lascannon
-Heavy bolter sponsors

Always a nice anchor for any force, Russes are very solid. Lascannon is not a bad choice here as it's an "extra weapon". Sponsons are ok if you intend to use the tanks as a gun emplacement, but losing the sponsons will allow you to move and fire both remaining weapons. Shaving 15 points from your list somehwere would allow you to field the shorter range, and greatly feared Demolisher. Str 10 Ap 2 ordinance is truly frightening at 750. The additional pointsfrom all of the upgrade reductions might go towards that ratling sniper unit with 10 models (Or 2 units of 5).

= 750 pts
I wish you luck. Let us know how you do with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.