--Plasma Gun
--Rhino
--Power Fist

-Tac Squad
--Missile Launcher
--Melta Gun
--Rhino
--Power Fist

Any way to improve this? I feel as if three rhino tac squads seems pretty... boring, but is there really much room for anything else at 750? Maybe two minimal bike squads with grav guns instead of the third tac squad?

List 2:

-Captain
--Bike
--Power Weapon
--Storm Shield

-Bike Squad (5 man)
--Grav Gun
--Grav Gun
--Power Fist

-Bike Squad (5 man)
--Grav Gun
--Grav Gun
--Power Fist

-Bike Squad (5 man)
--Grav Gun
--Grav Gun
--Power Fist

-Land Speeder
--Heavy Bolter
--Heavy Bolter

-Land Speeder
--Multi-Melta
--Heavy Bolter

Seems a bit more fun to play with and against, but far too fragile as it only has half the models. Can a bike based list be effective at such a small points level? Are the Land Speeders really the best choice, or would more bikes be better?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
The first will serve you better in the long run-- it doesn't lock you into a bike theme-- and it looks like the more fun one to me. You can play around with combat squadding whereas the second list is completely linear.

Powerfists aren't the everything-tool they used to be. Nothing wrong with them but you might vary the selections a bit.

but is there really much room for anything else at 750?
Not really. You might replace the third Rhino with a Predator/Vindicator, Dreadnought, Tactical Terminator Squad or Assault Squad but doing so isn't essential.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Personally I'd only run two troops at 750 points, especially if you're running full 10 man squads that you can combat squad. That way it frees up some points that you can put into "something fun" (elites, fast attack, or heavy of your choice).

I also suggest mixing up the powerfists a little. Having one isn't bad, especially if it goes with a complementary loadout like a meltagun, but I think other loadouts are better for what Tacticals usually face off against. I generally suggest a combi-weapon, but even power swords or power mauls aren't bad if you play your tacticals very aggressively.

List 2 looks brutal under an Astral Claws list.
This is rather OT, but I have to say, that after the release of Space Wolves and their Grey Hunters with their +2 point Close Combat Weapons, which coincides with Chaos Space Marines and their +2 point Close Combat Weapons, I've become suspect of some of the balance in Forgeworld Chapter Tactics. Not that Astral Claws particularly bothers me (Stubborn, Skilled Rider, and Scout on skimmers seems fine on first glance), just that I'm a little leery of them now, as Forgeworld "balance" does not coincide with GW "balance". Though, both are screwy in their own way.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Personally I'd only run two troops at 750 points, especially if you're running full 10 man squads that you can combat squad. That way it frees up some points that you can put into "something fun" (elites, fast attack, or heavy of your choice).

I also suggest mixing up the powerfists a little. Having one isn't bad, especially if it goes with a complementary loadout like a meltagun, but I think other loadouts are better for what Tacticals usually face off against. I generally suggest a combi-weapon, but even power swords or power mauls aren't bad if you play your tacticals very aggressively.

This is rather OT, but I have to say, that after the release of Space Wolves and their Grey Hunters with their +2 point Close Combat Weapons, which coincides with Chaos Space Marines and their +2 point Close Combat Weapons, I've become suspect of some of the balance in Forgeworld Chapter Tactics. Not that Astral Claws particularly bothers me (Stubborn, Skilled Rider, and Scout on skimmers seems fine on first glance), just that I'm a little leery of them now, as Forgeworld "balance" does not coincide with GW "balance". Though, both are screwy in their own way.
I actually think the Forge World rules for Chapter Tactics ARE balanced along with the characters (except Sevrin and the Raptors Chapter Master, who are exceptionally great though under less savory Chapter Tactics). When you mention the 2 point CCW's, I should remind you that Carcharodon Tacticals only have Fear, so you're choosing between:
1. 15 points for a Tactical with the goods and Fear
2. 16 points for a Tactical with the goods and Counter Attack/Acute Senses (not sure if they still have the latter in the new Codex).
Keep in mind that Grey Hunters can use two Special Weapons as well and THEN get a Combi-Weapon. Those ten points in the long run are REALLY good, so the balance is already there because of it.
Merely, because of the list and it being the most competitive for a tournament, I suggested the best Chapter Ta tic to make the most use of it. It's kinda the beauty of Chapter Tactics: if you have a specific way of wanting to do an army, you can make it better.

To be fair, I still think two points for a CCW is pretty overcosted, but that's just how I roll.

For the first list, I'd probably do Raptors, Red Scorpions, Ultramarines, or Imperial Fists and Mantis Warriors. There is LOTS you can do with the lists. I almost get excited thinking about it.

·
I'm a trap!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
List 2 looks brutal under an Astral Claws list.
Painted as Astral Claws, I generally exclusively run under those chapter tactics no matter what because of it.

The first will serve you better in the long run-- it doesn't lock you into a bike theme-- and it looks like the more fun one to me. You can play around with combat squadding whereas the second list is completely linear.
I have all the models of the first, and most of the models of the second, so there's no "locking" into themes- 30 tacticals seems pretty droll and I feel as if there must be some way of making it a little less boring whilst still maintaining a lot of bodies.

Powerfists aren't the everything-tool they used to be. Nothing wrong with them but you might vary the selections a bit.
Point taken. Most of the models I have were constructed/painted back in 4th edition, so the gear they have is largely dependent on what was good then, and nobody ever took anything other than power fists on sarges. Suggestions? I still need to build/paint the last bike sarge, and have a few power sword sarges lying about.

You might replace the third Rhino with a Predator/Vindicator, Dreadnought, Tactical Terminator Squad or Assault Squad but doing so isn't essential.
I have the models to do any of these. I could likely fit two preds in, but I worry that this might be too cheesy? Alternatively I could combine both and take a few bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts