Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realised that if you take all terminators for your elites and and commands squads and all land raiders for your heavy support, you should be able to put 8 landraiders in a single FOC. Obviously not sensible but am I missing something here because this doesn't seem like it should be legal.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm hoping but can you tell me where to find the rule that says this please? I can't find anything saying they take up a heavy support slot if taken as a transport option.

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
quite simple. They are not in the transport section. They are in the heavy support section meaning they take a heavy support choice. If they were also in the transport option then you could take them as transports. However they must take up a heavy support.

get it?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I understand, my problem is I can't actually find a rule that states that. Which could leave it open to exploitation by cheesemeisters.

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
No Monkey, you are correct. You can take Landraiders as transports for your elite options, and also as heavy support. It is potentially useful when going up to Imperial Armour level games where Land Raider squadrons are possible, maybe even deadly.

Note that only normal Land Raiders can be taken as Transports, and Crusaders can only be heavy support. You can of course take normal Land Raiders as Heavies too.

·
867 Posts
Any vehicle taken as a Transport does not count against your Heavy Support limit.

A Space Marine Army with:

2 Terminator Command Squads w/ Land Raider Transports

3 Terminator Elite Squads w/ Land Raider Transports

3 Land Raiders taken as Heavy Support

= 8 Land Raiders.

Reference P.62 of the WH40K rules which differentiates between Dedicated Transports and Vehicles which Occupy an Organisation chart Slot.

This first came up with my Sisters of Battle Army. Immolators are Heavy Support Choices, but they may also be taken as Transports by Dominion Squads and Celestian Squads of a certain size.
Therefore the maximum number of Immolators in a Sisters army is 11 if 8 are taken as Transports. (2 HQ, 3 Elite, 3 Fast Attack and 3 Heavy Support).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, seems I was right originally. That would cost an awful lot though. And not be all that effective unless your opponent had very little anti-armour.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ebon is right. On p. 30 and 31 of the C:SM is states this is so under the Transport heading in the descriptions for Terminator Command Squad, Terminator Squad and Terminator Assault Squad. If you play BT you can take LRCs as transports for just about every unit. This is insanely expensive in both points and $$$ of course!

·
1,140 Posts
In Imperial Armour level games where their is loads of points involved, its actually important to have lots of transports and high level firepower. Games that big have big tables and lots of turns to fight, so moving becomes a big issue. Imagine the first turn barrage of just 5 Landraiders firing Twin Linked Lascannons without moving. Then they proceed to move Terminators or Veterans up 12 inches a turn, or 18 inches on a road. Add in the 2000 points of regular power armoured guys you may have and who might be getting hot dropped into the battle from a Thunderhawk. For the Emperor *****. :cool:

Sure you can get Twin Linked Lascannons on Dreadnoughts instead, but they only have armour 12, and don't transport troops. Devestators? Not Twin Linked or mobile, and can get nuked by a stray battle cannon shot if they aren't in a bunker. In Imperial Armour, Marines don't have Titans or giant deamons, so they do it the old fashioned way. Loads of giant tanks and power armoured maniacs led by Chaplains.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Lord Malachi said:
Ebon is right. On p. 30 and 31 of the C:SM is states this is so under the Transport heading in the descriptions for Terminator Command Squad, Terminator Squad and Terminator Assault Squad. If you play BT you can take LRCs as transports for just about every unit. This is insanely expensive in both points and $$$ of course!
Yeah you are right. It is something like 6 for troops, 2 for HQ's with termies, 3 for Elite Termies and 3 heavy support.
I mulled over a list with 3 troop LRC and three Vindicator's....my own little armored company all for around 1850.....just don't want to spend the money on a novelty list.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So how would it work for a deathwing army then. I don't have codex DA but I'm assuming that the DW termies can still have transports. Any DA players out there who can enlighten us as to how obscenenly many Landraiders you can have?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Keep in mind also that by taking 8 landraiders you spend your 2000 points before you include the squad. And you know what that means don't you?? Yep, aother force chart and more land raiders!!!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so 17 then? 2 HQ + 3 elite + 6 troops + 3 FA + 3 + HS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
can anyone here tell me who would want to field 8 LRs??? even in a very heavy game, LRCs are better... as they can move 6" and still fire everything (multi-melta is the only offensive weapon). Land Raiders are so bulky, all it takes is some good terrain placement to trap that army. also, that's 16 TL lascannon shots, and 24 TL heavy bolter shots. not very effective at all. Now get an army of 8 LRCs, Squads, on a massive table, in a huge game, with purity seals, and that would be one scary force.

·
1,140 Posts
Actually Seele, in Imperial Armour level games I would be taking a regular Land Raider or two with my LR Crusaders. Range is a big factor when the table is twice as big. And when in the hell is 16 TL lascannon and 24 TL Heavy bolter shots not very effective?! 16 lascannons will make any Titan feel the pain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts