Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note: Read the whole thread if you're gonna read it at all. I made a lot of mistakes, and you can watch my nub army evolve as it approaches its final state.

I'm intrigued by this game and have been for some time, but never had the funding or time. Now I have both, so it's time to get started! My friends and I chose 800 as the point limit for our first armies, so I had to work within that constraint. I don't really like shooty tactics; they bore me. I do like Chaos. Khorne therefore appeals to me, so I wanted to make a themed army even though there's no useful bonus for the theme. World Eaters seems to me to be the obvious choice.

HQ - Terminator Lord (140)
2x Lightning Claws
MoK

TROOP - 7 Berzerkers + Rhino (222)
Personal Icon
Skull Champ + Power Weapon + Melta Bombs

TROOP - 7 Berzerkers + Rhino (222)
Personal Icon

ELITE - Dreadnought (105)
2x CCW
Heavy Flamer

ELITE - Dreadnought (105)
2x CCW
Heavy Flamer

TOTAL: 794

Tactics: I'm hoping my Dreadnoughts will draw a lot of fire away from the Rhinos, because if they do make it to the enemy's line, they're going to rip stuff up in spectacular fashion. When (if) the Rhinos reach their destinations, I disembark my Zerkers, using the transports as cover from any irritating heavy support. At some point, I Deep Strike my lord to whichever IoK is tactically advantageous. Then I charge, throw dice, and spill blood for the Blood God.

Problems: Skimmers? Shooty armies? Not enough troops? Swap lord for tank-busting DP+MoK+Wings? Apparently I'm going to be facing off against Space Marines (Dark Angels for one) and "Undivided" (oops, I mean Chaos Glory) Chaos lists.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
you need some anti-tank power, maybe swap the lord for DP or give champions p-fists
Echoed. Otherwise, it's a good list. Try switching the dreads to one its tank-busting configurations, or drop them and take predators with las-sponsons.

I'm assuming the lord will buddy up in one of the rhinos.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Fire Frenzy on shooty dreads scares me! I'd be more likely to take a Predator if I wanted ranged tank-busting, which I could do leaving the default turret and taking the lascannon sponsons as suggested. However, since the limit is 800, it's hard to find points.

HQ - Daemon Prince (140)
MoK
Wings

TROOP - 7 Berzerkers + Rhino (227)
Personal Icon
Skull Champ + Power Fist

TROOP - 7 Berzerkers + Rhino (227)
Personal Icon
Skull Champ + Power Fist

HEAVY SUPPORT - Predator (130)
Autocannon
Lascannon sponsons

HEAVY SUPPORT - Predator (75)
Autocannon
Twin-Linked Bolter

TOTAL: 799

I'm still fielding the same quantity of vehicles, but one Predator is clearly a better target than the other, and losing the sponsons will blow. However, it's very likely to draw fire from the Rhinos now, and I can drop a Prince on their faces once my Zerkers reach their destination.

If the second Predator is too weak, I can simply drop it and spend the points on other things--and this would also knock the actual $$$ cost of the models down a bit.

HQ - Daemon Prince (140)
MoK
Wings

TROOP - 8 Berzerkers + Rhino (248) (FLUFFY!)
Personal Icon
Skull Champ + Power Fist

TROOP - 8 Berzerkers + Rhino (248)
Personal Icon
Skull Champ + Power Fist

HEAVY SUPPORT - Predator (160)
Autocannon
Havoc Launcher
Lascannon sponsons
Extra Armor

TOTAL: 796

In any case, thanks for the suggestions so far! It's giving me many things to think about. Perhaps too many. There are so many different ways to build an army...

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Your fist list in your latest post looks much more suited for the table than your second. Don't worry about the tank busting predator having a higher priority sticker stuck to it; it's supposed to. Predators are resilient, especially in low point games, when your opponents shouldn't have too many tank killing units. Your prince will also draw fire. In fact, most opponents fear our princes like the plague, so you may actually see your predators remaining in battle for longer than you might expect. The dakka predator also helps greatly against swarms, which is sometimes a weak point for Berzerkers, though not so much in 4th edition.

Side: Why did you switch to power fists in your Berzerker squads? The power weapons are generally better, as they have good synergy with furious charge. By dropping back down to basic power weapons, you can then afford to upgrade your dakka with a havoc launcher- a very suitable weapon in 4th edition.

Side: The dakka is also rather effective at taking down light armor, as well as pounding predators from the side. Sheer number of shots. Speaking of the dakka, it's not equipped with 'twin-linked' heavy bolters, but just regular ole heavy bolters ;).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the Twin-Linked Bolter was intended as a pintle-mounted option, but if I have the points for a Havoc Launcher, I'd rather take that instead. I like the Power Weapon idea, and if my Predators are gonna stick around for a while, I don't need the Fists to penetrate tanks. In that case, I can start with the DP on the table as a fire soak, drop the PIcons from the Zerkers, and provide a better upgrade on the dakka Pred to make it a better target. Let me try yet another version!

HQ - Daemon Prince (140)
MoK
Wings

TROOP - 7 Berzerkers + Rhino (212)

Skull Champ + Power Weapon

HEAVY SUPPORT - Predator (145)
Autocannon
Havoc Launcher
Lascannon sponsons

HEAVY SUPPORT - Predator (85)
Autocannon
Havoc Launcher

I figured the Melta Bombs on one squad couldn't hurt in case I need to take down a walker stuck in CC. Hmm. This is the most expensive configuration (four vehicles, wow), but I can swing it.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
The new list looks good. Couple of things:

Your dakka predator should be 115, not 85 points.

The havoc launcher on the tank busting predator has bad synergy, as the pred will undoubtedly target tanks 99% of the time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's 115 if I also add the HB sponsons, right? I hadn't done that, but clearly the sponsons are significantly more powerful against any sort of infantry units. Since I appear to have to pick one, goodbye launcher.

I had forgotten that the tank has to fire all its weapons at its target and can't split between targets. I'm glad you're here to catch my mistakes! I'd look quite the fool trying to field an illegal army or do something illegal, but my friends sure wouldn't notice, so it'd happen at some place where it'd be truly embarrassing. Like at a game shop or something like that. I also notice I screwed up the costs of my Zerker squads--clearly, one should cost more than the other. I'll get this right eventually.

HQ - Daemon Prince (140)
MoK
Wings

TROOP - 7 Berzerkers + Rhino (217)

Skull Champ + Power Weapon

HEAVY SUPPORT - Predator (130)
Autocannon
Lascannon sponsons

HEAVY SUPPORT - Predator (100)
Autocannon
Heavy Bolter sponsons

Now that you've ironed out most of my careless errata, I had 5 points free and kept the bombs on one squad. The list is looking better, and I'm getting a better grasp on what's worth getting and what isn't.

Just edited your points, as the Berzerker squad costs were backwards :) ~Rabbit

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Looks very, very good. And yes, I completely missed that you didn't have heavy bolter sponsons on the predator. :rofl

EDIT: Just a thought. You could drop the Khorne mark on your prince and then upgrade one of your rhinos with a combi-melta. It would give you that hidden tank busting ability that most opponents simply overlook. Just a thought, like I said. Your current build looks good as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless I've made yet another mistake, I believe my revised values of 217/212 are correct, not 222/217. Where's that extra 5 points per squad coming from in your calculation?

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Unless I've made yet another mistake, I believe my revised values of 217/212 are correct, not 222/217. Where's that extra 5 points per squad coming from in your calculation?
Actually, didn't even do the math, when I first read over the point costs. Originally, you had 222 on the squad without the melta bombs and 217 on the squad with melta bombs. I've gone ahead and re-tallied them both.

Oh, and thanks for the rep. Much appreciated ;Y

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't even really know what rep means, but I liked the suggestions and if you're willing to spend several posts helping out random newbie strangers, that's a lot better than almost any forum troll I've ever encountered. And I've trolled a lot of forums in my time.

The only thing I'd decline is dropping the MoK on the DP. I definitely want that particular fluffiness over any tactical benefit from a "hidden" tank-buster, and believe me, once the point limit increases to 1k, the first thing I'm doing is increasing the Zerker squads' size to 8. For the rest of the points, well, that's for another thread and another time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.