Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right chaps?

What are peoples armies looking like now with the release of 8th edition? I've just sat and worked out my 7th ED 1000pt guard list and it came out as 'spot on' 1000pts so no real changes there!

Have you found that lists have changed a lot or have stayed fairly similar? What are you going to be changing?

I had planned a fairly large amount of Grav weapons for my Marine force but that looks like it will be changing in favour of something else now. Maybe swapping out the Grav Centurions of Lascannon Centurions and, hell, even Heavy Bolters!!! Also, Dreadnoughts with twin linked Heavy Flamers anyone??? Running/advancing dreadnoughts that still spit out 3D6 str5 autohits. Predators doing 2D3 shots and each hit doing 3W per hit is not something to be sniffed at.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Since there's been no replies I'll bite - knocked together this 500pt(ish) air cav list the other day.

Company Commander

Commissar

2 x 10 veterans: 3 Plasma Guns, Heavy Bolter

2 Valkyries: Multi Laser, Hellstrike Missiles, 2 heavy Bolters

Total comes to about 510.

Definitely some changes to the way I normally run things with this, heavy bolters being a big one. I've yet to test it but I've got the sneaking suspicion for BS3 armies like guard volume of high strength shots may trump stuff like lascannons, but we'll see!

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's always been the case ;) Nice little list though.

I'm working out my old Marine army at the moment and the points have just gone crazy. I've tried to do my old 3k army and It's looking about 4500pts!!! Centurions, Terminators and Land Raiders just soak up so many points!!! For 3 Land Raiders is't over 1000pts :/

One thing I am liking though is Tartaros Terminators. I see no reason not to take these over normal shoot terminators. The whole Save mod thing means that terminators are always going to be packing a decent save, especially with the cover bonus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haven't had a lot of time to go through the points values yet, but until now I generally ran footsloggers with my chaos. With the changes I think I might actually try running vehicles regularly, put that land raider and rhino to use.

With necrons I was kind of blown away by how many points the monolith was. That being said, it definitely looks to be worth it. I'm glad it's finally reached a point where it can act as the titanic death machine it's mean to be.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Land Raiders are TOUGH. In fact, vehicles in general are tough as nails. That 2+ Sv on Land Raiders really helps and 16 wounds makes them REALLY Durable. My Raider had 4 lascannons pointed at him for 4 turns running until he finally went down.

Speaking of him, Flamers on vehicles are now very good at deterring assaulter's. Everyone gets to do Overwatch now so a LR Redeemer really puts the 'sh1ts' up people with 2D6 auto hits and 12str6 shots (hitting on 6's). Even Dreadnoughts with Heavy flamers can be nasty. Hell, Leman Russ with 3 Heavy Flamers aren't going to be a fun prospect to assault now. Not being reduced to AV10 in combat makes vehicles less likely to go down in assault as well.

You are right though. EVERYTHING is more points. A Land Raider is 356 points. A blummin Predator (autocannon and 2 las) is 201pts. A Razorback with twin Assault cannons is 100pts. However they are a LOT more durable and killy now. T8, 3+ Sv and chucking out 12 str6 shots makes Razors very nasty little tanks. Also, Storm Bolters are basically a MUST. 2pts for Rapid fire 2 is awesome. 4 shots within 12"? Yes please!

The feeling of 8th is that the designers have actually sat down and said "what SHOULD this do?" and then made rules so that it actually DOES what it's meant to do. Marines are TOUGH. They gets a save (Ok, it's only a 6+) vs even a Lascannon/Plasma. In cover they get even tougher. Tanks are tough as nails, dreadnoughts are more durable than they ever were and can cause some serious mayhem in combat (more than they used to). Terminators are also really tough against small arms fire thanks to their 2 wounds but still suffer against heavy weaponry (thanks to HVY Weapons increased damage/wounds.

Basically, I REALLY like the feel of these rules. That's something I haven't said in a long, long time.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Finally put my list into points. Turns out my foot-slogging battle company list has gone from 1850 to around 1500 points. Seems infantry has gotten relatively cheap, and my "inefficient choices" in power swords and plasma pistols have also gone down dramatically in price.

At least the allies matrix has gone away, so now I can fill in those loose points with other armies fairly freely.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's almost as if they want you to go back to footslogging armies ;) Aye, the price drop in Power weapons is really cool. Makes you want to get stuck in! and give your sergeants a bit of love. Plasma pistols............ why wouldn't you give all your sergeants and commanders these?

What does your list look like now?

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
I end up running the same list as always because I try to only play with painted models. My last (and only) game I ran:

Captain w/ Relic Blade, P.Pistol
Librarian

Tactical Squad w/ H.Bolter, Plasmagun, Combi-plastic
Tactical Squad w/ Lascannon, Flamer

Assault Marines w/ P.Pistolsx2, Powerfist

Devistators w/ Plasmacannonx2, Missile Launcherx2
Decistators w/ Plasmacannonx2, Missile Launcher

Tac Terminators w/ Assault Cannon
Dreadnought w/ TL Lascannon

I'll probably fill in the gaps with the above while I work on my Necrons or 'Nids. Little things need to be done, like I need a sergeant for my termie squad and half my assault marines still need to be converted to jet packs. I'll probably also need to finish up the third Tac squad so that I have a legal battalion for the 3 CPs.

After that, it's just a matter of adding Necrons to reach whatever point/power level my buddy wants to play at.

·
867 Posts
I have been rocking with Sisters of Battle! So far I am 6-1. I am running Sisters only, with Penitent Engines from Adeptus Ministorum. Otherwise only the Sisters. The best units are Celestine, the Immolator with Flamers, Penitent Engines, and Seraphim with Inferno Pistols. Heck even my Repentia did well in the game I used them, they helped take down a Knight Warden.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm really looking at Predators now. They just dropped 12 points so Having a Predator with 4 Lascannons and a Hunterkiller missile comes in under 200pts. That's an awful lot of firepower for those points. BEing able to move and shoot (yeah, ok, only hitting on 4's) is a good boost as well. I'm going to try out a pair of these in my next game as I was struggling to deal with my mates Chaos Knight last game. 8 Lascannon shots should be able to make it pause.

I'm still loving Razorbacks. They're tough, cheap and versatile. Twin Assault Cannons or Twin Lascannons make these little tanks very nasty and they're (almost) as tough as a full blown battle tank now.

Centurions got hit again. They went up even MORE points so 3 of them, even just with Heavy Bolters and Hurricane Bolters come in at over 300pts. 100pts each!!! That's a Razorback with a twin assault cannon!!!!*mutters*.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The humble predator is THE tank this edition. For it's points it's an absolute monster. The 4 lascannon version comes in cheaper than a squad of devastators armed with lascannons and rockets. It's harder to hurt, has more wounds and an equivalent save. They are now really a must buy for long range heavy weapons.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very much so. I had two sitting in a case gathering dust. These two old faithful beasties are going to finally get painted. Sitting them next to a Lieutenant to re-roll 1's to wound is also awesome.

With the 'Wisdom of the ancients" Stratagem you can use 'shooty' dreads to give re-rolls in the back field as well, letting your captains romp around the battlefield doing what they do best.

·
867 Posts
I have four Predators. When I field my Space Marines I'm planning to run them Twin Lascannon turret w/ Heavy Bolter sponsons for versatility.

·
867 Posts
Centurions got hit again. They went up even MORE points so 3 of them, even just with Heavy Bolters and Hurricane Bolters come in at over 300pts. 100pts each!!! That's a Razorback with a twin assault cannon!!!!*mutters*.

I'm glad Centurion Devastators got their points slashed in the last CA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts