Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well i was just wondering, if there could ever be a 2nd emperor or like a reincarnation of the emperor like in warhammer fantasy where valtan is the reincarnation of sigmar? Could it happen? Should the impirium think about searching for him? I think YES it could happen and it would be truly sweet!!!

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Hehe.. It is quite a cool idea.

The fluff for my new inquisitorial army is all about a crazy Thorian/Istvaanian secret society trying to create a second Emperor artificially by breeding and training 'exceptional' humans.

Thorians are probably the closest 'mainstream' faction in the Imperium though, they don't look for a second Emperor, but they look for people who have been blessed in some way by the Emperor, taking on a fraction of his power. Saint Celestine, for example, was considered to be such a person.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In the rulebook for the game, inquistor, there is some fluff about inquisitors finding a body to inset the emporer into

·
269 Posts
Isn't this also expanded upon in the rumors swirling around Cypher. He is supposedly on a quest to take the Lion Sword to Terra. Kill the Emperor so that he is completely free of his bonds and then repossesses Cypher to become the second coming of the Emperor. I have never actually read this anywhere, but it has gotten around a few times. It is also supposed to be attached to the Starchild, but again. I have not concrete fluff to draw upon.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Grand Master Belial is correct that in the old fluff it was prophesised that the Emperor would at some point die and eventually be reborn in a new physical body; this ties into the whole Star Child theory that has later become obsolete with newer versions of the fluff. Currently I don’t think we know what would happen if the Emperor died, except that the Imperium would collapse without the religious devotion to their god and the guiding light of the Astronomican powered by the Emperor; presumably humanity would then be overrun by various hostile alien races and/or Chaos.

As for there coming a second Emperor while the first is still locked into the Golden Throne, I highly doubt that’s possible. The old fluff would have it impossible because the Emperor is an artificially created psyker empowered by the reincarnated souls of a group of shamans, a practise only possible before the warp was filled with daemons, whereas the newer fluff never reveals the origins of the Emperor but makes it clear that he is not an ordinary human being. For human evolution to create anyone as powerful as Him by chance seems quite impossible. Even alpha-plus level psykers are nowhere nearly as strong as He is.

And for someone to try and usurp Him without having His psychic powers, I find that equally impossible; the Imperium would never accept the usurper’s rule and he would quickly be killed by some Imperial faction or other. Horus tried making himself the new Emperor of humanity and failed; since then I doubt anyone could come even close to contest with the Emperor for power. He is more than merely a leader now, after all. He is a god. How can anyone usurp a god?

So no, I don’t think there could ever come a second Emperor, and I think for the first to die and be reborn would also be a pretty bad idea. The Imperium needs Him where He is at the moment, as a religious icon and to focus the power of the Astronomican.

~Grephaun.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
This raises an interesting (although slightly off-topic) point about if the Emperor were to die. I wonder if the Imperium would actually collapse and the Astronomican would actually go out. It is entirely possible that the Emperor, once He dies, will become part of the Warp once again. Seeing as how there are billions and billions of people who worship the Emperor as a god already, I believe that should He die, He will become something along the lines of the Chaos Gods due to the power of thoughts, emotions, and beliefs to influence the Warp. Perhaps they have done so already and there is some kind of "vessel" within the Empyrean waiting to recieve Emperor's soul once he dies. Shaped by the thoughts and emotions of the people who worship Him, he would continue to power the Astronomican and lend power to His devotees much in the same way that the Chaos Gods do to theirs.

This is merely an alternate theory of course. Given the dark nature of the 40K universe, it would not surprise me if the Imperium splintered upon itself and Humanity was wiped off the face of the galaxy once the Emperor passed away.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And if there would be a civil war over who is the emperor, were would the Space marines loalty lie, in the dead guy or the new one, who they would most likly get a blood sample from to see if he is the real guy or not!

·
269 Posts
AgeofGold said:
And if there would be a civil war over who is the emperor, were would the Space marines loalty lie, in the dead guy or the new one, who they would most likly get a blood sample from to see if he is the real guy or not!
Definitely the dead one, as he was known to the Chapters and is in their history.

The new one would have to fight an uphill battle to slowly convince all the Chapter Masters out there. Unless the Primarchs that haven't died make a return to convince the Chapters.

·
Registered
341 Posts
One theory i had was that if say 10,000 alpha-level psykers got together (will never happen) and were reincarnated then you could have someone more powerful than the Emperor. Or perhaps if a new shield for humanity could be created and the Emperor could use the life-force of the psykers to restore his body. Also, in the new fluff people don't know if the Emperor is even alive anymore.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
If you got 10,000 alpha-level psykers in one place, them and just about the entire star systems will inexplicably be swallowed by a previously unnoticed black hole that seemingly appeared out of no-where.

Seriously. They melt worlds. Thousands in the same place will do nothing but make a very, very large crater.

As for theory;

New Emperor = No.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok, imagine the soul as a giant blob of psychic energy in the warp. Now, as the emperor was about to die, his blob began to free itself from his body, right? Now, when they hooked him up to the Golden Throne, the blob was kinda tied down in the body, but partially in the warp... if u get me... When they "feed" the psykers to him at the throne, their little blobs fuse with his. Now after years of constant sacrifice, this compositeblob of psyker-emperor soulstuff is huge, yet still is tapered to the spot. What the imperium don't realise is that killing off the emperor would save them all. The blob, now infinitey bigger than that of the chaos gods yet relatively powerlss due to its restraint, would fly thru the warp and effectively destroy the chaos gods. This would render positive wap energy (like the imperial/eldar psychic powers) the dominant force in the warp, and negative energy (think chaos), basicalyl useless.

Cypher is thus the imperium's greatest enemy, due to his desire to kll that which the imperium belives it relies on i.e. the Emperor, yet also their only hope for ultimately destroying the chaos gods.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think that if the Emperor dies he would be reincarnated, and if he died Humanity wouldnt die, much of it would be corrupted by Chaos, but Chaos never wanted to kill humanity, merely destroy the Imperium, the Chaos Gods want to rule all of humanity, so its not like humanity would just die, it would probably brake into factions, some of which who are still loyal to the Imperium even without the Emperor, some who would search for the Emperors reincarnation, some of which who would serve Chaos, and some of which would take on new ways of life altogether. this is just my opinion though, and if the Emperor died, Chaos would do anything to have his reincarnation fall under their corruption, and there would be a huge Civil War amongst the various Chaos Gods and their servants (not like the normal petty infighting but an all out war) over which God would corrupt and control the Emperor (Tzeentch would probably win)

and come on, you cant kill Chaos, you just cant, now you might defeat the Chaos Gods, but they will rise again, infinite times, i believe this is why the Emperor never tried to kill them before, he realised it was useless effort, sure he could kill them, they might be gone for (if hes lucky) a few thousand years, but the Chaos Gods are concentrated emotion, it would probably hurt the "positive warp energies" more in the end, because after long enough they would grow unused to having Chaos around, so when they returned the Chaos Gods domination of the Galaxy would be all the easier, now the Emperor being the genius he was realised this, and so did all he could to stop Chaos without "killing" it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is a fascinating thread, and i'm sorry if i'm dragging it back up... BUT i think IF the Emperor did finally die... Many loyal marine chapters would still follow the imperium under the lords of terra. OR begin to venerate thier primarchs. Maybe the ones that are not dead would return! To keep the imperium togeather. some may splinter off and just fight for justice/kill aliens like they always did but more for the memory of the emperor and what he stood for... and then maybe a few break away, and find something new (not chaos) to believe in (which is sorta what MY marine chapter is doing).

Maybe i have no clue what i'm talking about...

Mel

·
Registered
311 Posts
This thread coming up now amuses me, I have been working on a theoretical future army list based on exactly this kind of event. When the Army list is ready I will tell you more...

·
975 Posts
Definitely the dead one, as he was known to the Chapters and is in their history.

The new one would have to fight an uphill battle to slowly convince all the Chapter Masters out there. Unless the Primarchs that haven't died make a return to convince the Chapters.

As interesting as this topic is i have to disagree with you. The space marines DO NOT worship the emperor as a god. They are loyal to the greatest most powerful man in the galaxy. Thats why when horus became a second faction other chapters went with because they felt he was truely more powerful than the emperor.

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
As interesting as this topic is i have to disagree with you. The space marines DO NOT worship the emperor as a god. They are loyal to the greatest most powerful man in the galaxy. Thats why when horus became a second faction other chapters went with because they felt he was truely more powerful than the emperor.
My opinion is that the new Emperor, and I agree with Poodle here that it's not going to happen (not because I'm a fluff Puritan but because I don't believe GW moves that way), would have to convince the chapters, just as the old Emperor convinced the Primarchs long ago.

Tekore

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
This is a fascinating thread, and i'm sorry if i'm dragging it back up... BUT i think IF the Emperor did finally die... Many loyal marine chapters would still follow the imperium under the lords of terra.
With the problem being that there wouldn't really be an Imperium any more.

Emperor dies.. Astronomicon goes out.. Space travel becomes virtually impossible.. Worlds are no longer governed, institutions can no longer be maintained. Blip.. Where once you had a sprawling galactic empire, you now have a fragmented collection of individual worlds utterly unable to cooperate or even communicate with one another for more than a few years after the Emperor's death.

Even if the Emperor was reborn (which I personally doubt, I never liked the whole star child thing) he'd have to rebuild the Astronomicon before anyone could really travel interstellar distances safely. I'd have no idea how long that would take, with the resources of one world, but it's safe to say it's probably a long time. By that time, humanity has probably been largely munched by the Tyranids, or Chaos, or the Necrons, none of whom have the same navigational problems.

Two far, far better theories are that the Emperor could possibly be revived - assuming someone could actually work out how the golden throne works.. (The main problem being that noone, save perhaps Rogal Dorn, who is likely dead as a doormat, knows how it works) Or, that a being of equivallent power to the Emperor could somehow be born or created. Who knows though, it could all go horribly wrong.

What the imperium don't realise is that killing off the emperor would save them all. The blob, now infinitey bigger than that of the chaos gods yet relatively powerlss due to its restraint, would fly thru the warp and effectively destroy the chaos gods.
Or, far far far more likely, it would melt back into the seething chaos of the warp, like every other soul when its body dies.

·
Confused Corgi
447 Posts
One theory i had was that if say 10,000 alpha-level psykers got together (will never happen) and were reincarnated then you could have someone more powerful than the Emperor. Or perhaps if a new shield for humanity could be created and the Emperor could use the life-force of the psykers to restore his body. Also, in the new fluff people don't know if the Emperor is even alive anymore.
This was said a while ago, but I would like to make a point-Every day in order to continue living, the Emporer consumes roughly 1000 psykers, these are, of course, alpha-level; there could well be 10,000 alpha-level psykers unaware that they are going to be sacrificed. That, or just hunt down all the psykers in the Imperium for they greater good, sacrifice them, form a human shell of the purest Man (or woman; this is the age equality after all... in our society anyway) say that they Emporer has finally been healed of his wounds inflicted by Horus and is ready to lead the Imperium once more-We'd end up with a god AND a shell through which that god can act.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
This was said a while ago, but I would like to make a point-Every day in order to continue living, the Emporer consumes roughly 1000 psykers, these are, of course, omega-level; but those gathering the psykers could increase their quotas and train those deemed trainable-there could well be 10,000 alpha-level psykers unaware that they are going to be sacrificed.
Read the bit on Alpha Level psykers in the Grey Book.

They're totally uncontrollable, howlingly insane freaks who can melt titans, have abseloutely no self control, and can measure their life expenctancy (before they're finally possessed and turned into a big screaming warp breach to start a daemonic incursion) in hours or days. They aren't just imba-kewl super powered psykers.

Why would anyone want to create even one?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts