Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this chaplain and he looks really cool i think. Also i was convinced a while back my force commander ought to look old and honored, well this chaplain fits the bill.

Point wise the diffeence between a DA master and an interigator chaplain is about 10 once you take into account the free weapon and rosarius (i.e. iron halo) so basically the chaplain is a bargain. the stats are all the same too.

Fluff wise, how would a commander-chaplain work? Its for my tenthcompany, scouts if that makes a difference. i mean in all reality the only difference is who i 'say' the leader is, vs. who get the point costs of the real leader.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Are you saying a Chaplain commanding a force with a DA Master in it? If that DA Master is the captain of the 10th company and there are no other captains in the army and no chapter master, then I would say the captain would hands down be the commander. Each company has its own chaplain but the captain is in command of the company, so I think that explains that. If you are talking instead of a captain, well, I always saw each company's chaplain as being sort of the Captain's right hand man (in addition to other duties) and (in my opinion) would most likely be the 2nd highest ranking person in the company, so perhaps the captain would be busy commanding another force (or a number of forces from the company) and have put the chaplain in charge of your force.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
If this is purely a fluff-question then it would work perfectly.

According to the Insignium Astartes the Tenth Company consists of an undefined number of scout squads supported by bikes, a Captain, a Chaplain and an Apothecary.

This means that apart from these guys you are allowed no other characters (no Librarians, Techmarines or Standard Bearers).

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Oh... And as for how to field him I would suggest you mount him on a bike so he doesn't get left behind when the rest of your army takes off..

Remember that a Chaplain is best in the thick of the battle.

·
Registered
581 Posts
This means that apart from these guys you are allowed no other characters (no Librarians, Techmarines or Standard Bearers).
Actually only no standard bearer, since the 10th company (for obvious reasons) does not have its own standard. The Librarians and Techmarines don't come from the companies anyways, they come from the Chapter's Librarium (I think that's what it's called...can't get to my book right now) and Armory, respectively. None of the companies have their own, it isn't just the 10th.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Sure why not, Generals shouldent be left an office desk when they grow old, they should be out in the field with their warriors.

Heck why not, you allready said it... it's a fluff question what can stop you?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Heck why not, you allready said it... it's a fluff question what can stop you?
I think he is asking more about the fluff of whether such an arrangement would work and if so how?

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Actually only no standard bearer, since the 10th company (for obvious reasons) does not have its own standard. The Librarians and Techmarines don't come from the companies anyways, they come from the Chapter's Librarium (I think that's what it's called...can't get to my book right now) and Armory, respectively. None of the companies have their own, it isn't just the 10th.
Yes you are right but even though Librarians and Techmarines come from different places they are still assigned to certain companies. All companies have a Librarian and a Techmarine assigned to them except for the Tenth.

There are ten Librarians and ten Techmarines in a Chapter. One for each company and one stationed in the Chapter HQ. The ones in the HQ are the Chief Librarian and the Master of the Forge respectively.

·
Registered
581 Posts
BobaHat said:
There are ten Librarians and ten Techmarines in a Chapter. One for each company and one stationed in the Chapter HQ. The ones in the HQ are the Chief Librarian and the Master of the Forge respectively.
Did not know that. Thanks for the info! By the way, where did you get that info from? Not the SM Codex, right? (Making sure I didn't miss something in it:))

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
I got some of it from the Insignium Astartes... I dunno... I've just been a fluff-geek for so long I just kinda know these things...

·
Registered
581 Posts
LOL...yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat (I probably spend more time on fluff than on playing the game itself...), and I knew about the Chief Librarian and Master of The Forge, but not that each company had its own Librarian and Techmarine. I'll have to check out that Insignium Astartes thing...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

See now you've gone and done it, I spent actual real time disecting the codicies for any and every scrap of fluff regarding the tenth company, my company which is why i'm pissed about minor inconsistancies that can't be smoothed out.

As far as I am concerned fluff associated with rules and guidlines, as well as that listed in the same books as the rules have primary precidence. That said...

Space marine codex, page 46 i think. The Ultramarines Chapter Roster: 28 techmarines are listed in the armoury, the numbers for librarians range between 4 and 12 depending, each company is assigned its own apothecary, chaplain, and standard bearer (baring the tenth for the standard bearer) and no references of techmarines or librarians are made in ANY of the company rosters.

As far as i can tell, as far as officers go, the only difference between companies 1-9, and 10 are the lack of a standard bearer.

that techmarine i spent so much effort on was for my tenth company so I'll be damned if he is not fluff-certafied :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Actually i am surprised their aren't extra chaplains too, you'd think they would keep a few extra for when they die and need to be replaced right away.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Space marine codex, page 46 i think. The Ultramarines Chapter Roster: 28 techmarines are listed in the armoury, the numbers for librarians range between 4 and 12 depending, each company is assigned its own apothecary, chaplain, and standard bearer (baring the tenth for the standard bearer) and no references of techmarines or librarians are made in ANY of the company rosters...Actually i am surprised their aren't extra chaplains too, you'd think they would keep a few extra for when they die and need to be replaced right away.
Yeah, that makes more sense. Besides, in your case, with your armor in your army, having a techmarine onboard makes a lot of sense.

As for spare chaplains, I'm sure the captain could step in, how hard can it be? "Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition!" See, easy. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also the Chapter HQ is only an administrative entity whose primary officers are combatants, they have no troops, only command vehicles and non marine aides. they only serve an organizational purpose, unless your a wolf player in which case i think Logan has his own combat force.

Edit:
Why would they need techmarines since techmarines have an administrative home independent of the HQ?

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Well, fluff changes throughout the years... I can't remember exactly where I read the stuff about the ten techies in a chapter but I did read it somewhere a few years back...

Actually, I have to say that what you are saying about several dozen techies really makes more sense to me... Never the less, they don't officially support the scout company but that doesn't mean you can't use him in it.

IMO I see no reson why the Chief Libarian and the Master of the Forge wouldn't join the Tenth Company for specific missions...

If you decide to add a librarian to your army I think he would have to be the Chief Librarian.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah, remember Space Marines are smart (unlike some people *cough* IG *cough*) and will mix up their organization to whatever fits the situation. They're all very adaptable and trained in just about every role.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, fluff changes throughout the years... I can't remember exactly where I read the stuff about the ten techies in a chapter but I did read it somewhere a few years back...

Actually, I have to say that what you are saying about several dozen techies really makes more sense to me... Never the less, they don't officially support the scout company but that doesn't mean you can't use him in it.

IMO I see no reson why the Chief Libarian and the Master of the Forge wouldn't join the Tenth Company for specific missions...

If you decide to add a librarian to your army I think he would have to be the Chief Librarian.
I had always figured, considering the optional status of command squads, that techmarines and apothecaries were stationed in limbo and employed solely at the captain's desision.

In retrospect it makes sense that EVERY company has an apothecary to recover geneseeds from any fallen personel. And it aditionally could make sense that every company, baring the tenth, has [at least] one techmarine since every company has its own transpots, bikes, dreadnought, etc. since the scout company is not assigned any vehicles as a default. And it does make sense that a techmarine might accompany a significant portion of the armouries tanks when deployed to a company. And we have already established that tanks (administrativly, via the armoury) are independent of the companies they serve.

However, seeing as how i choose to employ one, i figured their combat purpose was always dictated by the captain's whims.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Actually the tenth company does have vehicles, this is from the first Index Astartes (under Chapter Organisation)

Scouts

Tenth Company

Captain
Chaplain
Apothecary

Squads

Scouts

Support

Bikes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.