Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just recently purchased a skaven army and I have my first game tomorrow. I'm not sure about a couple things so any advice would be really helpful

1. Is it generally better to horde or go rank and file with Skaven? I'm not sure just based on how their rules are.

2. Whats the best distance to place the first warp lightening shot? I'm thinking 6 inches but I'm not sure.

3. Generally what should I be aiming for with the Screaming bell in terms of result? I was thinking through 3d6 dice at it.

4. Are clanrats or stormvermin better to push the Screaming Bell?

·
Registered
70 Posts
1. Horde up a big unit of clanrats ! Makes them rather scary when they wont run away and put out masses of attacks.

2. Can't help there not used one before but be a skaven player and place where you "think" it might do some damage :D

3. Anything that does something :D This is the main reason i love skaven its so diabolically random.

4. Refer to first point. Those clanrats really become disgusting when pushing a Screaming Bell ! Get them in combat possibly with a chieftan to raise LD a little bit more.

Keep Standard Bearer close to the big blob you want to stay in place (Screaming Bell) and try using Storm Vermin to support. I used Stormvermin and Rat Ogres as supporting units for a 60 strong Bell pushing unit. Worked to a certain degree.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't play skaven myself; but I face against them quite often; as my brother is playing them. They are a PITA to play against and arguably one of the best armies in the current environment.

1) Clanrats don't bring the attack power to run horde. If you field 40 or less; run them in 5-wide formation. Sometimes you want them wider though to push a bell or just have larger regiments than 40; in that case, feel free to horde them up. Most often, I see a horde of 60-80 slaves though. Lead them with a warlock engineer (just a 15-point model carrying the doomfire rocket, which you want anyhow) and keep them close to your general and BSB and you'll have a 60-wound fortress that is going nowhere for less than 200 points.

2) For my empire guns (which do more or less the same) I use 6"; unless I'm firing at really large models (terrorgheist) or formations, in which case I choose 4".

3) Cannot help you with this one. have never faced it.

4) I'd choose the stormvermin. Their higher WS and STR (Halberds) make for a regiment with a lot more staying power. I don't fear large regiments of clanrats (other than them trapping my elite regiments); but a horde of stormvermin is powerful enough to kill even my prize regiment of grave guard or my empire IC knights.

Hope this helped,

Vince

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
1. Just like what Bacon_Sarnie said big hordes of Clanrats are quite hard to break but personally I use Skavenslaves in blocks of 100 they become ld10 because of their ranks, they get Steadfast (another version of Stubborn), they are cheaper and if they get into close combat any of your shooting units (including Warp Lightning Cannons) can shoot into combat :)

2. I usually go from 4 to 6 inches away.

3. I haven't used one yet but I want to and it's so Skaven to have something do random stuff lol (as already mentioned before)

4. I would go with Stormvermin as well having better WS and STR

·
Registered
120 Posts
1. Just like what Bacon_Sarnie said big hordes of Clanrats are quite hard to break but personally I use Skavenslaves in blocks of 100 they become ld10 because of their ranks, they get Steadfast (another version of Stubborn), they are cheaper and if they get into close combat any of your shooting units (including Warp Lightning Cannons) can shoot into combat :)
Only if they are within 12"of the army general AND have a rank bonus of 3 or more. The skaven leadership's bonus due to ranks maxes out at 3 points; so the skavenslaves (Ld 3?) will go to 6 with a maximum rank bonus. That is why you want the 15-point character to lead them; as a warlock engineer has leadership 5; so max 8 with full rank bonus.

Or course, when within 12" of a ld 7 general (Grey seer, warlord) you'll have the precious leadership 10. Without characters to lead them; slave blocks become quite a reliability.

·
Registered
616 Posts
uhh... Vincecount... where does it say that? If you don't get any rank bonus then you don't get the bonus to your LD (say, if you're outnumbered) but there's no max on the bonus it provides... Also- Slaves are Ld2. But that doesn't matter as long as there is an engineer in there or within range of the general...

·
Registered
120 Posts
skaven armybook: all skaven units add their rank bonus to their leadership. According to the Warhammer rulebook, the max rank bonus aunit can have is 3.

The faq on the gw website illustrates this with a few examples.

Vince

·
Registered
616 Posts
thanks! BTW It's in the errata that they make the change... In case you're challenged on that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Really need to get back to using my skaven at some point. Was trying to work out whether taking a grey seer with bell or warlord and tonnes of extra bodies when i realised if i dont take the bell it doesnt feel like a true skaven army. Dear Horned One i forgot how much points can be sunk into one unit though ! Grey Seer on bell with 60 Clanrats tooled up really does get scary expensive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It depends. ~500 points for a single unit including a level 4 may be expensive for skaven-generals; chaos generals will not agree. And 60 wounds is a lot to kill!

·
Registered
70 Posts
You, sir, make a very good point. Maybe chuck an assassin in there to really ramp up the kill factor. What would you support this block of vermin with ?

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
What is good gear for an assassin ?

Can Skaven still shoot into a horde Skavenslaves if there is an engineer in that mass?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi there, just recently purchased a skaven army and I have my first game tomorrow. I'm not sure about a couple things so any advice would be really helpful

1. Is it generally better to horde or go rank and file with Skaven? I'm not sure just based on how their rules are.

2. Whats the best distance to place the first warp lightening shot? I'm thinking 6 inches but I'm not sure.

3. Generally what should I be aiming for with the Screaming bell in terms of result? I was thinking through 3d6 dice at it.

4. Are clanrats or stormvermin better to push the Screaming Bell?

-

A1. Stormvermin 30models (6 wide), clanrats 40 - 50 models (6 wide), ratslaves 100model "tarpits from hell" (10 wide).

A2. It's a cannon, and the shot "bounces", so keep it at max range.

A3. The Bell is just too random for me ... Being hit by your opponent's cannon ball, could end the game for you.

A4. Clanrats at 50 models strong. Stormvermin are bunkers, for your characters.

:beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts