Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all...

I posted a while ago about the return of GorkaMorka, which was apparently met with a whole lot of "meh..." Nonetheless, I felt like posting a little bit about it again.

Basically, this feels like it's the perfect system that I can adjust to work for a quick pick-up game, and all I'd need to buy is one of the new boxes of Ork Boyz. I've been looking over the sprue photos, and I see some great bitz I can use to represent kustomized weapons, a kannon, and more. Besides that, the box holds enough bitz to make 11 boyz; if I make one Boy with a Gyro-balanced Monowheel (read Da Uvver Book), I can push that to an even 12.

Now, here's one of my better ideas. GorkaMorka is based around the individual models, like Necromunda and Mordheim; each one gains his own experience and skills, so each one has his own points value. Because of that, I can generate each Boy to be worth the same points value. For example, one Boy may have 5 pts worth of equipment. Another might have only 2 points worth, so I give him more experience, which translates into skills or characteristic increases. Then, I model each one to reflect the equipment shown on the model, and each Boy also gets a Stat Card which lists off everything he's got. Besides that, I can give each model 2 sets of stats; one for a regular Boy level, and one for a Nob level.

Then, when all this is complete, I can take this dozen Boyz out, and I and my opponent(s) can each take turns choosing Boyz. Remember, each Boy was made with the same points value, so as long as we each have the same number of Boyz, we each have the same Mob Rating. Then, declare one Ork as your Mob's Nob, set up a table, and we're ready to Waaugh!

I think this works especially well with GorkaMorka because of the relatively light option set. I couldn't do this with Mordheim, because the warbands are all so distinctive-looking and different rules-wise. It's possible to do it with Necromunda, but there are still a lot of different oprions. With GorkaMorka, the options are very slim, especially because my version here strips out the vehicles (the movement rules for them are kind of cumbersome, anyway).

So, that's just my initial plan. If and when I get going further on this, I'll be sure to post again. At the very least, I'd love to show you all da Boyz I make!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey and hello. Your plan sounds good for one off games and pick up games. I think you will find the most enjoyment in using the mobs in a series of games so you can watch them grow and gain new and sometimes unique equipment. This is a game that you can play one off matches but I find the "campaign" method much more satisifying. I am glad to see that GM has reared its ugly green head again. Have fun.

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I agree; I probably would really enjoy the campaign, watching my Boyz grow and gain experience and the like. The problem that I have is that most of my friends aren't the modelling type, and to do the campaign the right way, each one of us would have to plan out our Mobs and model each Boy individually. I wouldn't have a problem doing all the modelling myself, but I barely have time to paint the models I have.

This method I described is intended only for pick-up games. It's supposed to be a way that I can just toss the Boyz in a box, bring them anywhere, and then grab a table and an opponent and play. It cuts out the planning stages, effectively "cutting to the chase" and letting friends with only a passing interest try it out.

Of course, lately, I've been focusing on re-painting my Tau army, so this has been sitting on a shelf for a while. I'm sure I'll pick it up again when I grab Assault on Black Reach...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.