Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a long time friend who plays Space Wolves. Hes been playing them for about almost a year now. Hes been showing some improvement but not much. He rarely, and I mean, RARELY wins a game. He tried lots of different lists, including Drop Pods. But none seams to work, its like he has bad luck with them.

But he doesn't want to quit Space Wolves, and he is very determined to find their strong suits and strategies.

So what I am asking of my fellow members of LO, is to please show me to show him some ideas/sites/good lists, so he can find the road. Because as of now, he is lost in the forest (getting drunk, like space wolves like to do).

Links that show some good lists or strategies that are on this site are also what we are looking for.

Thank you, and please help.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Hello, I have a long time friend who plays Space Wolves. Hes been playing them for about almost a year now. Hes been showing some improvement but not much. He rarely, and I mean, RARELY wins a game. He tried lots of different lists, including Drop Pods. But none seams to work, its like he has bad luck with them.

But he doesn't want to quit Space Wolves, and he is very determined to find their strong suits and strategies.

So what I am asking of my fellow members of LO, is to please show me to show him some ideas/sites/good lists, so he can find the road. Because as of now, he is lost in the forest (getting drunk, like space wolves like to do).

Links that show some good lists or strategies that are on this site are also what we are looking for.

Thank you, and please help.

Heya! 'Rare wins' is a problem with wolves that i've seen a lot, and it generally revolves around taking lots and lots of hth footslogging dudes, and relying solely on long fangs for your fire support. If this aint the case here, don't bother to read on! :)

My way of fixing this is to take some really fast moving units, such as blood claws (they're the lower BS guys yeah?) on bikes. Much more effective than with jumppacks - you can shoot with great accuracy at 24" twinlinked, you can move much faster, and you still get a great number of attacks on the charge. Plus you have a higher toughness! And all for the same cost, if I remember correctly.

Attack bikes and landspeeders with multimeltas are great too, as they provide highly mobile move'n'shoot anti-tank weapons, and also are good at grabbing objectives.

I'd also remove any long fangs from your list, in my experiance they just do not cut it. Too expensive, a small squad, and too easily ignored by your opponent. Half the time I never bother even targetting them with my IG, they are such a non-threat, and if I do bother to ever target them, it doesn't take much to damage them greatly.

So yeah, with the bike squad you have a quick hth squad, and the landspeeders/attack bikes provide a great backup. Just dont charge them forwards in the open, a fast moving unit means you can really make use of that cover scattered accross the field!

You can then start to take the footsloggers in your list with a little more safety, as they have a much stronger chance of making it accross the board with all those other higher priority targets you are now providing. The most effective wolves lists I have seen have been mechanised, with bike/landspeeder support.

Its also good to take scouts sometimes - the more tactical options available, the better! Give them a meltagun and meltabombs (if you can, can't remember the space wolves codex properly), and expect them to die well if you bring them on from the opponents table edge.

More than all this ramble, however, it might help if you could post a list of the units your friend actually owns, and the way he tends to field them/utilise them. This would allow us to provide some more accurate help, if we can! :)

P.S Feel free to ignore any/all advice I have just provided, for any reason you feel fit! Me being a little stupid from time to time is a good one, if you can't choose. :)

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
I have found that landspeeders are a must in wolf armies. I prefer to take a Landspeeder with a meltagun and one with an assualt cannon and heavy bolter (In differant squads). The one with a melta goes tank hunting while the assualt cannon/bolter mix takes out other infantry so I can move my Blood Claws/ Grey Hunters up

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

He usually fields like 2 squads of gray hunters, and around 2 full squads of blood claws. He takes a squad of bikes with a rune priest I think, and he takes a Leaman Russ. He sometimes takes long fangs but not often. He tried using speed but didn't have much success.

I think the big reason why he isn't doing so well is because tactics.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
I think the big reason why he isn't doing so well is because tactics.
A very common problem - even the most godly powerful list crumbles pretty quickly if you just slog it across a field towards a heavy gunline, or leave it as fodder for a combat rush.

The whole idea behind the points values and such is that both sides are roughly "equal". So while some armies may naturally be slightly more powerful than others, poor tactics can almost always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. it would really help if we could get a full battle report, or at least a detailed description of how he runs his forces, that would probably go a long way towards constructive ideas in terms of tactics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.