Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of not being able to tell which model is your unit leader? always pointing to the one that is bald, or has the slightly bigger axe, or has blood on his blade?

A very simple fix for some units is to check out the IK line of models for a character of the same unit. Cygnar has gun mage, stormblades, casters (alts for JR in 1,500pt games?), precursers, and more.

Most factions have a few to choose from and all the sculpts are beautiful.

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Unless Privateer's policy on proxies has changed, the IK line of figures is specifically banned as proxies for Warmachine models in Privateer events.

Personally, I think it's asinine, but they say it's to avoid the confusion that the IK miniatures might cause.

Who knows?

That being said, there are a lot of good IK minis, and I don't think I've met anyone who would object to them as proxies in a friendly game--or even most locally run tournaments.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
What are these miniatures that you are speaking of tarzen? When you say IK, I assume you don't mean Iron Kingdoms do you?

I'm intrigued!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well proxy and conversion are completely different things. Not only that but Warmachines states that all conversions must be from using privateer press miniatures.

What proxy means is when you substitute a alister caine and say he is actually stryker. That is proxying. The other rule for using iron kingdom units is that the weapons on the warmachine miniature must match what the new unit has in order to maintain WYSIWYG.

In fact, at my game store, there is a pretty popular IK switch people do for the protectorate. Some paladin guy. I forge.t

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
Ahhh, thanks camel. I was a bit confused by the whole thing.

Thats an awesome idea, and there are quite a few models in that line up. Just looking through them now, there are some awesome models! Actually, the Tomb Maiden reminds me of Necron Pariahs.

The monster hunters look fantastic as well... Might have to consider some of these...

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Well proxy and conversion are completely different things. Not only that but Warmachines states that all conversions must be from using privateer press miniatures.

What proxy means is when you substitute a alister caine and say he is actually stryker. That is proxying. The other rule for using iron kingdom units is that the weapons on the warmachine miniature must match what the new unit has in order to maintain WYSIWYG.

In fact, at my game store, there is a pretty popular IK switch people do for the protectorate. Some paladin guy. I forge.t
I know what you're saying, and I think that's perfectly reasonable--but it doesn't really change the fact that Privateer disagrees.

They don't want you using their range of Iron Kingdoms miniatures in games of Warmachine, pretty much at all. Simply swapping the Paladin IK character for a Paladin of the Wall doesn't fly in Privateer run tournaments. It's silly, but I do think it's important for people to know their stance on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know what you're saying, and I think that's perfectly reasonable--but it doesn't really change the fact that Privateer disagrees.

They don't want you using their range of Iron Kingdoms miniatures in games of Warmachine, pretty much at all. Simply swapping the Paladin IK character for a Paladin of the Wall doesn't fly in Privateer run tournaments. It's silly, but I do think it's important for people to know their stance on it.
Welll sheeeeeeet. Don't think I can argue with that. If Those are the rules then those are the rules. At my FLGS we have the rules like I stated earlier.

But if you rule out proxies, you have to rule out conversions. Simply for the sake of confusion or modeling for an advantage.

But for the sake of mental excersize, where do you draw the line?

What if I wanted to an iron kingdoms figure as an object that striker is standing on? is that legal?

If I liked a cape from an IK figure can I add it to striker?

Or How about using malgruns body and converting jonne's head on top of that body (an incredibly hard conversion I know but for the sake of argument suspend disbelief). Is that legal?

I can't see where the line is drawn.

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
I honestly have no idea where the line is drawn.

Personally? I have run tournaments and I have never taken an action against a player for any proxy or conversion, whether it was based on an IK figure or not. As far as I care, as long as your opponent doesn't think he's going to be at a disadvantage because he can't remember which model is which, you're good to go.

Similarly, I have never seen it come up at a Privateer run event. I have no idea where they draw the line.

All I'm saying is that this came up on the forums when they first started releasing Iron Kingdoms miniatures, and they stated that they didn't want players using Iron Kingdoms miniatures (or their significant portions--bodies and whatnot) to be used to replace Warmachine figures.

I don't think I would worry about it. I do think you should be aware of it, in case it ever comes up.

I'm sure there are more details than I can remember posted, somewhere, on Privateer's forums, if you're really interested.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As with all tourneys, it's up to the organizer. I wouldn't have any problem with the PG here, but your milage may vary. I do love the IK stuff, just need to get a few painted up soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.