Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was just going over a nightly scan of the rulebook last night and I came across one of the many typo's in this book. On page 117 were its showing of the WH and DH the line at the bottom reads, "Ordos Malleus and Ordo Herecticus will often join forces to DEFEND the ENEMIES of mankind.

I think the insane amount of spelling mistakes in they're codex's and such are from poor in house revisions. Now I admit I probably spelt several things wrong just now, but I don't give away the Imperium's greatest secrets in the process.:)

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
Hello, I was just going over a nightly scan of the rulebook last night and I came across one of the many typo's in this book. On page 117 were its showing of the WH and DH the line at the bottom reads, "Ordos Malleus and Ordo Herecticus will often join forces to DEFEND the ENEMIES of mankind.

I think the insane amount of spelling mistakes in they're codex's and such are from poor in house revisions. Now I admit I probably spelt several things wrong just now, but I don't give away the Imperium's greatest secrets in the process.:)
I am not majoring in english, but what is wrong with defend and enemies?

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
ah, but we all know that what they really do is to destroy mankind;)

"In the name of the =I= I will burn this whole town!" Seriously, they add more problems than they solve.

Guess I didn't read your post well enough, I'll be off to the cornor of shame...

·
Registered
668 Posts
ah, but we all know that what they really do is to destroy mankind;)

"In the name of the =I= I will burn this whole town!" Seriously, they add more problems than they solve.
Or burn the entire planet down for that matter.

I suppose that the Inquisition is similar to various shadowy government agencies in that if everything goes well, you shouldn't hear about anything they do. However, if it goes poorly, then it is huge news. Of course as 40K gamers, we have the advantage of seeing how far it may go to ensure that nobody in the Imperium really knows what goes on with the Inquistion. Though it would be funny to win a game with some DH and declare that unless they wanted to be mind scrubbed and assigned to be a toilet servitor, nobody who watched the game would ever be allowed to speak of it.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Actually, there's an entire radical faction (Istvaanians) who see it as their role to strengthen the enemies of mankind..

Their view is that constant threats strengthen the Imperium by forcing people to adapt, getting rid of corruption and weakness and bringing mankind together against its common enemies. They go out of their way to create and nurture threats in the form of heresies, alien invasions etc (right down to helping, equipping and training them,) then make sure they're discovered by the Imperial authorities.. If the humans survive the resulting conflict, they'll be better equipped to deal with future ones.

Kind of the ultimate Darwinism.. As you can imagine, they're not a popular faction in the Inquisition as a whole.

My first 'Inquisitor' character was a closet Istvaanian.. He'd arrange hideous disasters, then round up the survivors who showed the most promise. His ultimate goal was to breed/clone them into an Afriel-esque army of "superhumans." :p

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've always seen the Imperium... well atleast the original Imperium not the child friendly one to be a reflection on human history. Just like any empire they spread too fast and don't take time to absorb themselves into the areas they take over hence rebellions (in 40k chaos a clever metaphor) and the amount of enemies as apossed to allies they make is far larger so then the 'beseiged on all sides by enemies of mankind' thing comes into play.

It's kind of sicking how GW has completely taken away the evil and darkness in the imperium and made them 'the good guys' They like too really play up the space marines being the heoric protectors of mankind pushing back the evil enemies against all odds.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well, the SM's are. They don't tend to get their hands REALLY dirty often. Logan Grimnar has had Words with the inquisition about their massacring of the population in the first Armageddon war.

3rd Ed WAS decidedly darker though. I powered through it in a few days when I was much younger. Felt somewhat despondent and depressed for a week afterwards. But they've definitely never been portrayed as the good guys.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
I don't know.. I don't think much has changed. If anything, the Imperium has got darker and less sci-fi-esque.. But there was never a time when the Imperials weren't 'the heroes.' I mean, they're standing against the extinction of humanity, sacrificing their lives on the vain hope that in some distant future other members of their species might survive and prosper.

The Imperium itself is monstrous from a liberal 21st century perspective.. If anything, it's got more so. But the people who choose to protect it and make great sacrifices to do so are still decent enough as hero types simply because the survival of humanity is something we, in our Xenocentric way, are inclined to consider quite important.

But look at other races.. The Tau were very much intended to offer a moral alternative to the Imperium, they even made 'Fire Warrior', with a Tau protagonist. The result failed utterly because who the hell wants to lionize a bunch of blue-skinned aliens who look down on the human race with scorn and pity. You could argue that the Eldar were the same, and have even enjoyed some success as heroes (I'd imagine because they look fairly human,) but the same logic applies..

The universe has always been relentlessly morally grey, with the possible exception of Chaos, the C'tan and the Dark Eldar (and even there, there's method to the madness.) It's our own Xenocentrism which makes the Imperium the heroes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts