Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

As I said in my 'introduce yourself' post over in the other section of the forums, I've decided to get back into the hobby after a long time away.

I basically played 1st edition (rogue trader) back when I was at school (though not all that much), but have been more interested in role-playing games since then (but I still pick up the paintbrush from time to time).

However I've now got that WH40K itch :)

So, as I said, I'm coming back to the game and will be starting with an imperial guard force (more meat for the grinder :) ). However, with all the new edition rumours going around and such, I'm thinking of just grabbing a used copy of the codex and painting up a basic/generic army while I wait and see what's going to happen (note that I don't own the current rulebook yet - as I'm a little wary about buying something that might soon be obsolete).

As such I'm starting with basic infantry models (I doubt much will ever change there - and in the worse case scenario I can just swap out special/heavy weapons troops if needed, to optimise the units later). I'll also be trying to build an army in cost effective manner (£'s not necessarily pts) at first - like getting the most of the heavy weapon sprues for example.

I also thought it would be a nice idea to create a blog where I could post my progress & thoughts as I reintroduce myself to the hobby and build my first army... and if anyone is vaguely interested in that, here's the link.

101st Regiment
(oldest posts are at the bottom)

Finally I'm not going to pretend that I know much about the game or setting, though I guess I might have a better idea of what to expect (in a broad sense) than a complete newcomer - but I'll probably have lots of questions as I go along, and will be glad of any advice. For example my first concern is... would it be wise to wait and see what might happen with the vehicle rules before I start thinking about what tanks/armour/weapon combo's I should include in my army?

Anyway... thanks for reading. Hope I didn't bore you too much :)

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
Welcome back to the game, and welcome to LO. I would say to start with some regular guard infantry and a russ and go from there. The rumored 5th edition changes could impact IG greatly, so I recommend waiting a tad. The new IG book might take a year to come out though, and I am personally very impatient, so I can understand if you want to start now. Stick to the basics and you can't go wrong.

One added benefit of starting them is that when the new codex comes out you can turn your nose up at people who flock to the new codex and say "I played them before they were cool," or something along those lines. In all seriousness they might be getting new models around the release of their new codex, so it is up to you on if you have the patience to wait it out. If money isn't a big problem I would say to start now and have some fun.

·
Registered
579 Posts
.... (note that I don't own the current rulebook yet - as I'm a little wary about buying something that might soon be obsolete)..
Well so much of this is "rumour" - however

1. We "might" indeed probably "will" get new models with a new Codex/Rules because selling new things to new gamers and making old gamers buy new things is how they make their money.

2. OTOH toolings and equipment for making models is expensive - so those won't go - and they can't afford to make changes that are too radical or everyone just gives up.

So I suspect the "Cadian" plastics both Troops and Heavy Weapons will still figure, so will Leman Russ Kits, Chimeras, Basilisks, Sentinels - probably the Catachans as well.

What will probably happen is a shift on how these units "play" rather than the unit itself, likewise most of the weaponry is fairly well established generally if they want to introduce a new weapon it comes as part of a "new" race e.g. Tau & Necrons.

If you just keep what you make fairly "generic" I doubt it will go wrong!

·
Registered
610 Posts
To echo others IG is one of those armies where you are guaranteed your ground pounders and tanks will always be playable, like you know that whatever the rule changes your SM models are still playable.

On the models I would imagine GW might make a couple more regiments available in metal but I think plastic Cadians and Catachans may well be the meat and two veg for IG, perhaps a few variations.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
they need to hurry up and figure out a working system so instead of this shorter and shorter lifespans of current editions, they get to just tweaking and balancing minor things.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...so I recommend waiting a tad. The new IG book might take a year to come out though, and I am personally very impatient, so I can understand if you want to start now.
Yeah, I'm starting now as I actually have the time to do some painting, as I got made redundant a while back - so I find myself with time on my hands :)

...because selling new things to new gamers and making old gamers buy new things is how they make their money.
I'm not in anyway against a new edition or GW making more money (they are a business after all :) ), it's just that seeing as I'm just getting into the game I don't really want to be wasting £42 on a rulebook and codex that might soon be superseded by all accounts (it's just my own ill fortune to come back to the game at such a time I guess).

As such I've just bought a cheap (used) IG codex off eBay to get me started - so I can at least start building a legal army and have an idea of the points values of things.

If you just keep what you make fairly "generic" I doubt it will go wrong!
To echo others IG is one of those armies where you are guaranteed your ground pounders and tanks will always be playable...
That's what I'm hoping for. I've already got myself a bunch of plastic cadians and begun painting a few of them (I've posted a quick pic of the sergeants on the blog).

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
Main cannon and hull mounted weapons can be interchangeable. Side sponsons, however, probably would have to be permanent the way they are assembled. With a bit of work you might be able to pull it off.

·
First Tiger
149 Posts
Welcome to the guard. To build a guard army cheaply and effectively only buy what you can paint in a week or so. This limit your spending, keeps you motivated and forces you to take extra time to consider your purchases.

As for what to buy, you are wise to get infantry first - cannon fodder never goes out of style. However, your play style is more important than what may happen in the next rule book so don't go overboard on the troops. Guard excel at ranged combat but ranged combat doesn't always require hoards of troops. I play Last Chancers with a lot of vehicles and an Inquisitor Lord - weird but fun - I never have more than 40 troops in an 1850 point game. A grenadier army can have fewer models. What kind of army will you play? You will save yourself frustration and cash if you have an idea of what you are aiming for before you start buying models.

Take a look at the army lists forum, a lot of these guys are really brilliant. Read some battle reports and tactica articles as well. This should give you a better idea of what you want and keep you from spending cash on things you don't need.

One last note, get sentinels. They're badass.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
...only buy what you can paint in a week or so.
...play style is more important than what may happen in the next rule book...
I've only purchased enough (new) miniatures to build a small platoon (command squad & 2 infantry squads - all 3 with a heavy & special weapon if need be) as I figure that will probably see a lot of use. I've also got a bunch of old miniatures lying around (and I mean really old) that I can put together to create another 17 guardsmen - which I might be able to use as conscripts or something (I'll know more when my codex arrives - next week hopefully).

With regard to play style ...that's something I'll have to work out over time (i.e. I have no idea :) ), but I can say that I'll be just as interested in the 'look' of the army as it's combat effectiveness (i.e. I'm not interested in ratlings, ogryns, or horse-mounted rough-riders, no matter how good/bad they are - simply because I want to build a modern/future looking human army).

In an ideal situation I'd also like to have enough models to enable me to constantly swap out squads/tanks/weapons for other squads/tanks/weapons - just so that I'm not tied to one play style, as the idea of playing the same (or at least the same 'core') list doesn't appeal that much to me. Though that may change when/if I eventually start playing of course :)

I'd also just like to say thanks for all the input guys :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.