Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HQ
x1 Kayvaan Shrike (I dont even know his points)
x1 Command Squad 191pts
• 1 lightning claw + Storm Bolter + Melta bomb
• 1 lightning claw + Storm Bolter + Melta bomb
• 1 Company Champion, Power Axe + Combat Shield
• 1 Meltagun +Melta bomb

Elite 345pts

x1 Sternguard Veteran Squad 195pts
• Two Combi-melta
• Sergeant powerfist boltgun
• Drop Pod Vanilla
x1 Dreadnought 150pts
• Multi-melta
• Close combat +heavy flamer
• Drop Pod Vanilla
Fast Attack 260pts
x1 Assault Squad 120pts
• Sergeant Power Sword
• Sergeant Melta Bomb
x2 Land Speeder Squadron 70pts each
• Multi-melta
• Heavy Flamer

Troops 650pts

x2 Scout Squad 105pts each
• Sniper Rifles
• Camo Cloaks
• Sergeant Teleport Homer
x1 Tactical Marine Squad 220pts
• One Meltagun
• One Multi-melta
• Sergeant Plasma gun
• Rhino Vanilla
x1 Tactical Marine Squad 220pts
• One Meltagun
• One Multi-melta
• Sergeant Plasma gun
• Drop Pod Vanilla

Heavy Support 95pts

x1 Predator 95pts
• Heavy Bolter Sponsons
• Storm Bolter

So this is a very rough draft and feel free to be brutally honest, and this is for fun games

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
HQ: Shrike is good, but don't you have your codex? We can't give you his points cost on the forums, but he's a good addition to a Raven Guard army.

That command squad, though, might be a little expensive. What's your plan with them? How are they getting into combat? I'd ditch the melta bombs and storm bolters, personally, and opt for dual lightning claws if I was keeping them. Personally, I'd just use the points elsewhere.

Elites: The Sternguard are good, but are you only running five of them? I feel like you could probably get better results out of a larger squad; I tend to field squads of eight or ten. You could possibly use the points from the Command Squad to buy a few more veterans here.

Dreadnought looks great.

Fast Attack: I think you may find a power fist would be a better tool than a power weapon / melta bomb combination, especially if you're running these guys with Shrike. Be careful with such a small squad, though, as they are operating without much support in this situation and may be overwhelmed. I'd consider a second five man squad to help them out, or bump them up to ten strong.

I'm not a huge fan of Land Speeders usually, but they do have their uses; however, your Land Speeders are confused. When you take a Land Speeder, you need to decide whether it will be anti-infantry or anti-vehicle, in my book. Specialize it. You can't use a multi-melta and a heavy flamer together to great effect, which means you're wasting points. If you keep them in the list, I'd run two separate Land Speeders with multi-meltas (one per FA slot, if you don't get another assault squad).

Troops: Scouts are good, but why the teleport homers? I don't think they do anything for your drop pods, and even if they did, it's not really worth it since the drop pods are relatively safe from dying due to scatter anyway. Swap the teleport homers out for missile launchers, which saves you five points per squad.

On the Rhino-bound tactical squad, I'd swap that plasma out for something. I'm assuming it's a combi-plasma, right? Since you can't give him a full plasma gun. Consider giving him a power weapon/fist instead for some extra CC kick, and maybe consider swapping the multi-melta for a missile launcher. That way, you can combat squad them and leave the missile launcher back for some long range fire support, as the multi-melta can't move and fire in the Rhino (being a heavy weapon).

Same goes with the plasma on your drop pod Sergeant; give him a close combat weapon of some kind.

Heavy Support: Normally I wouldn't suggest a solo Predator, but with two drop pods, a Rhino, and a Dreadnought on the ground first turn (most likely) you should be okay here. I'd take off the storm bolter, though, if you need points to spend elsewhere; it's not really a necessary upgrade and only puts more points onto an armoured target the enemy WILL be trying to take down.

Good luck!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the codexes but I cant find the actual point cost for some reason but thats not an issue because I just threw him in there at the last minute, I was thinking more on the librarian side of things after I wrote this list up and when I was writing this up I had already been up for a long time lol so thanks for bringing that to my attention. Originally I planned for shrike to infiltrate close to the enemy important or most strat able units and smash them or to enemy heavy/dreadnought units

As for the elites I thought the 5 man sternguard was fun and simple although I could see why more is obviously better and when I free up the command squad this is where I would look at the points going

The land speeders go with the scouts (thats why they have homers) so I can move scouts into a cap point or near something giving me trouble, a squad or armored unit and them being able to zoom in shoot up some stuff, on that note I forgot do add that one scout had a missile launcher =P

As for the CC weapons on the sergeants I never liked them because I figured if my tactical squad was in CC I needed to get them out of there or reinforce them with some actual CC squad so I am wondering whats your idea in having the sergeant have a CC weapon?

and I LOVED the input, its really making me break apart this list thanks a ton

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
You can find Shrike's point cost in the HQ section in the army list part of the book; you won't find it in his description, but once you get to the actual army list it'll be listed there. The thing about the command squad is that, without a method of transportation (Rhino, jump packs which they can't take, or bikes) they are simply too slow to effectively get into close combat. Fleet helps them out as well as Shrike's infiltrate ability, but beyond that they're just normal, slow-moving infantry.

Five man squads of Sternguard aren't bard, per se, but they are a very shooty unit; you want them to be wiping out a unit per turn, or most of one at least, and a five strong squad won't do it even with their special ammunition. An eight or ten man unit should be able to achieve that, especially while within rapid fire range.

I'm still not sure what the teleport homers are doing there; how do the Land Speeders make use of them?

My reasoning behind CCWs on tactical squads is simple; tactical squads are decent at everything and excel at nothing. They will be in close proximity to the enemy, of that I can assure you, and having that extra kick in CC will really help them to survive should they get locked. Nothing like a power weapon or power fist to smack something around should they be foolish enough to charge your Marines! Plus, it's always nice to have a fallback option should you encounter a monstrous creature or a Dreadnought, and that's where the power fist comes in. You'll also find a power weapon could be useful against armies such as Tau or other shooty armies with decent armour saves; though you'll likely win most assaults, being able to ignore their armour is great!

Just giving you some food for thought; the list isn't bad as it stands.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was my understanding that land speeders deep strike and teleport homers help them deep strike?
And yeah the CC weapon makes sense now that you put it that way lol and the only reason I gave the sergeant that combi plas was I didnt like anything else but the CC weapon makes sense

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
It was my understanding that land speeders deep strike and teleport homers help them deep strike?
And yeah the CC weapon makes sense now that you put it that way lol and the only reason I gave the sergeant that combi plas was I didnt like anything else but the CC weapon makes sense
Deep striking your Land Speeders is a definite bad idea in my book. First, you're relying on reserves rolls, so you never really know how long it will take them to show up; that's hard to rely upon! After that, once you deep strike them, you've got to wait yet another turn before you can use them to shoot, because they count as moving over combat speed (last I checked), which means they can't shoot any weapons. Don't quote me on that, but that's how it used to play out anyways.

General consensus with Land Speeders seems to be that they need to remain reasonably cheap, specialized, and on the table. I'd rather rely on 24" movement if I'm not going to shoot, rather than losing 1-3 turns of sitting in reserves.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even with the + rolls from the scouts? I thought that would help out alot but I see where you are going with this. I think I am gonna sit down and remake this from the bottom up =D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1600pts ish

HQ
x1 Space Marine Librarian
• Episitolary
• Combi-Flamer

Elite
x1 Sternguard Veteran Squad
• Three Combi-melta
• Sergeant powerfist boltgun
• Drop Pod Vanilla
x1 Dreadnought
• Multi-melta
• Close combat + heavy flamer
• Drop Pod Vanilla

Fast Attack
x1 Assault Squad
• Sergeant Power Sword
• Sergeant Melta Bomb
x1 Assault Squad
• Sergeant Power Sword
• Sergeant Melta Bomb
x2 Land Speeder x1 Squadron
• Multi-melta
• Heavy Bolter

Troops
x2 Scout Squad
• Four Sniper Rifles
• One missle launcher
• Camo Cloaks
x1 Tactical Marine Squad
• One Meltagun
• One Flamer
• Sergeant Power Weapon + Bolt Pistol
• Rhino Vanilla
x1 Tactical Marine Squad
• One Plasma Gun
• One Multi-melta
• Sergeant Power Weapon + Bolt Pistol
• Drop Pod Vanilla

Heavy Support
x1 Predator
• Heavy Bolter Sponsons

this feels better to me, I kep the multimelta in the second TMS because I like the heavy ap 1 for tanks, changed the sarges and in the first TMS made them more assaulty, I am thinking a great back up for either of the assault squads, those I did keep the same because I like the ignoring for armor and the meltas just in case they decide to jump onto a tank =P

Increase in the sternguards to 8 like you suggested, hoping to throw them either near an assault squad for back up or close into some armor giving me trouble or some shooty squads lol

Now with the HQ I am not sure what powers to give, I know I want to give him MOA but I am not sure if I want him assaulting things, and since he has epis. I am thinking of the gate to whereverthehelliwanttogo ability if he is going to be assaulting, but for now I think the HQ is pretty much in the air

Let me know what you think of this =)

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
HQ: I like Librarians, but one of the best things you can do with him is keep him cheap. Think long and hard if you think the Epistolary upgrade is worth it; it can be sometimes, and other times it's wasted, so I'd recommend giving him some playtests both ways and see if you miss having two powers. I personally like to run him with Sternguard, tossing him into their drop pod with the Avenger power (a nice template for when you land on an unsuspecting squad) and then Gate of Infinity, which you can use to get them out of there (admittedly with some risk). I do like the Librarian as your HQ, however; he's a very nice support model, can be reasonably cheap, and isn't something people typically run anymore. However, I'd drop the combi-flamer on him; if you take Avenger or the other shooty psychic power, you won't need it.

Elites: Perfect.

Fast Attack: How many men are in each Assault Squad? Five? If so, use them together as counter assault units; smaller squads tend to struggle in combat, especially since Assault Squads aren't necessarily the strongest combatants in the world. I like the power weapons on them instead of power fists, at least when there are fewer of them in the squad. Make sure to use their speed (Run them if you have to, just keep in mind you can't assault if you do due to not having Fleet anymore) and table cover to keep them out of LOS of your opponent's bigger guns, and pop them out when you need them.

I still don't like the Land Speeders with that weapon setup; I'd shave some points by dropping the heavy bolters on both, so you are dedicating them to anti-tank/MC duty. I'm not sure how I feel about having squadrons, but I have limited experience with that, so you'll have to tell me how they do for you.

Troops: Scouts are perfect, my favourite setup.

The first Tactical Squad is illegal, though I think it's just a typo; did you mean to put multi-melta instead of meltagun? You can't have two special weapons in a squad, only one special and one heavy in a ten man squad. I'd suggest swapping the plasma gun in your drop pod squad with a meltagun; they have the ability to drop literally right next to an enemy tank, should you need it, and that is an invaluable asset. Dropping down and melting a tank is fantastic fun, and at the worst you can drop them in a location where that meltagun will make them think twice about moving over there (not to mention the multi-melta).

Heavy Support: I still like this Predator, even though he would do very well to have a partner. You still have the Dreadnought, Rhino, and three drop pods, so you have a reasonable amount of vehicles on the table.

How were you thinking about spending your final 400ish points?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
yeah for the tactical It was a mistype but with the land speeders you said flamer was no good so I switched to bolter/melta, I want them to surprise tanks and whatnot and thats what the melta is for and bolter is for anything that tries to get in the way, how would you build them if you were going to use them.
As for the assault troops I was thinking 2 5 man squads hooping around near each other or them tying up units and the tacticals shooting them up, I could go maybe 2 7 man but it still feels weird to me, what about the flamer should I think about a flamer in the assault squads?

I was thinking since there is so many other vehicles on the bord I really didnt need anymore, I will say even though they are not heavy vechiles they still do a good job of pushing around units that arnt tanks and I know a drop pod can be a pain then just manuver the pred around to flanking and remove them, even use the rhino to distract and zoom around lol. But if I use another heavy I was thinking of a vindicator or another pred with the same build

-edit-
As for the 400 points I thought maybe another heavy or a vanguard vet for the librarian then add a jump pack to him, this sounds like fun with his support powers but I am afraid to do so because vanguard vets are costly

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
The Land Speeders, in my opinion, should be very specialized; dedicate them either to anti-infantry or anti-tank. I'd keep them cheap with the multi-meltas, and ONLY the multi-meltas, or consider giving them some Typhoon missile launchers. You have enough infantry chewing firepower in the form of Sternguard, your regular troops, etc. I don't think you need the heavy bolters or the heavy flamers.

I don't like uneven squad sizes either; for me, Assault Squads are five man or ten man units, so keep the two five man squads you have. I'd definitely buy a flamer for each, though; they can help thin the enemy's numbers before charging into assault, giving you a better chance of coming out intact.

About the vehicles, I agree that you have a solid amount of vehicle/infantry presence on the table. If you did buy another vehicle, I would agree with another Predator or a Vindicator. If you get a Predator, though, consider some lascannons in the build (autocannon turret + lascannon sponsons would be ideal, in my opinion) in the case that you run into a Necron player sporting a Monolith or two. Meltaguns aren't very effective against those things, so having something stronger, like a Vindicator's demolisher cannon or the Predator's lascannons, could be invaluable. But that's only if you include another vehicle.

I wouldn't recommend the Vanguard Veterans, personally. They're a neat idea, but way too expensive to be made effective (i.e., with jump packs). Plus, if your plan is to attach the Librarian to them, they lose Heroic Intervention, which is one of their more fun rules and one of the only reasons to take them (for the fun factor!). If you do field the Vanguard Veterans, though, I'd still recommend jump packs on them, but don't upgrade every veteran; I'd say maybe upgrade one per three with a special CCW, such as lightning claws or a relic blade. Vanguard Veterans are definitely a good unit for the fun factor, but if you're shooting for pure competition, I wouldn't recommend them. You can find other fluffy things to spend the points on, probably.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah those VV are a hard unit to even think about, expensive and wild lol.

Maybe using a termi assault squad with librarian or even a shooty termi squad, but I know that once termis are in the mix they tend to become a target.

For the assault squads what about making one 10 man assault squad and throw the librarian into there and give him a jump back, any ideas there or experience

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
The ten man Assault Squad isn't a bad idea, but if you want to throw a character in there, you're far better off with a Chaplain or Captain. The Librarian is very much a support character, as you know; I feel like he'd be better suited running with your Sternguard than anywhere else, and supporting them to the best of his abilities. That's where I tend to field mine. I don't think you'll be making a bad choice, per se, if you run him with your Assault Squad(s), but he's definitely not the ideal choice in a combat character.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that actually give me an idea, what if instead of the 8 man stern, what about 2 6 man squads, 3 combi melta in each with the powerfisted person and throw the librarian in one and have the other without the lib so they are less targed and I can still keep a good squad if the lib dies?

also, I was checking the rules for the tactical squads and it says per 10 I can take a plas gun at + whatever points and per 10 I can take a multi melta + whatever points so I think I can make that plas melta squad, also combat squads dont take any special weapons correct?

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can give a Tactical Squad a single special weapon, but you get no free weapons and cannot take heavy weapons; I might be mistaken, though, as I don't have a codex anymore, but I thought that was how the squads were laid out. You might want to double check that; I'd definitely field all Tactical Squads at ten men, however. I'm not a fan of plasma guns, myself, so I tend to stick with the freebie flamers or some meltaguns on the cheap.

About the Sternguard, were you planning on putting both squads of 6 into drop pods? I like having more than one squad, but you also have to take into account how many drop pods you have; currently you're at three, which means only one gets left in reserve. If you get another one, you'll be waiting for two squads in to arrive from reserves, which may not be the most ideal situation for you. It's not a horrid thing, but yet another thing to consider before going forward with it.

I'd probably field two combi-meltas per squad instead of three, if you went ahead with that, however. That's just personal preference!

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
If you run a Razorback, you want to field a ten man unit (in my opinion), so that you can combat squad. The squad that goes into the Razorback itself should have the Sergeant (with a power weapon/fist) and the special weapon (I prefer a meltagun or flamer), while the combat squad that remains behind should field the heavy weapon. This will give you a mobile objective-capturing squad as well as a small fire support squad, both of which are pretty useful. Plus, the Razorback itself gives you a kind of "in between" tank, between a Rhino and a Predator, and puts another piece of armour on the table.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will try both the options and see which one I like better, as for the combat squads I didnt know you can seperate 5 marines from the tactical squad, I thought you could build a 5 man tactical squad but you wouldnt get any special weapons so I am a little confused by what you said

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
I will try both the options and see which one I like better, as for the combat squads I didnt know you can seperate 5 marines from the tactical squad, I thought you could build a 5 man tactical squad but you wouldnt get any special weapons so I am a little confused by what you said
Read through the codex and find the "combat squads" rule. Ten man units (of anything, really) from the codex, before the game has started, may split into two five man units and operate independently of one another for the course of the game. Just find the page detailing the army special rules and it should be there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts