Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I was getting ready for work this morning I had an interesting thought;
most of the traitor primarchs are now daemons right? Any daemon can be controlled by someone who knows it's True Name...so doesn't it stand to reason that since We(I mean His Most Holy Inquisition) know the names of the daemon primarchs, with the exception of Fulgrim(because he let him self get possessed) that whenever one pops up to cause trouble, we just use his true name to banish them, or turn them on the hordes of Chaos.
Now I know someone is going to say "but the Primarchs aren't really daemons" and to this I say HERESY! I would point you to the First war for Armageddon where GKs banished Angron back to the warp for 100 years.
Where I'm going with this is using the above theory, could we not summon the daemon primarchs somewhere, then banish them right back to the warp for 100 years? That way we wouldn't have to worry about them rampaging around on a whim and the process would just need repeated every 100 years.

Of course if the Primarchs of the II and XI legions ever show up that would be another matter.....

Thoughts?

·
2,076 Posts
Most Daemon Primarchs have not left the Eye since they became Daemons, and one assumes there true Daemon Name is not the same as the name they had as mortals.

Summoning Daemons is the work of heretics, the fact that you suggest this means you must be heretical yourself..
I recommend you turn yourself in and pray to the Emperor for forgiveness

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit radical perhaps, but Herectical, never. The Ends justify the means, and the Ordo Malleus has done far worse to achieve lesser goals.

Suggesting that the traitor primarchs would nit have the same name sounds like Alpha Legion trickery to me. Or someone with intimate knowledge of Deamons within the Eye, in fealty to the God-Emperor, our undying lord, and by the grace of the Golden Throne, in the name of the Ordo Malleus and the Inquisition, I call thee diabolis, and in the testimony of thy crimes, I submit this carta. May imperial justice account in all balance. The Emperor protects.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
A true name is not the same as a given name, it's a word which is inscribed on a daemon's very being.. Names which the Daemon primarchs recieved while mortal like 'Fulgrim' are probably about as meaningful as the other given names daemons go by, like 'Doombreed'. True names, and I'm partly going by fantasy but it makes sense, are long and extremely difficult to pronounce correctly (and they have to be pronounced absolutely correctly to have any power). Human beings give each other names all the time, they're fairly trivial and meaningless. I'd imagine once a person becomes a daemon prince, they understand more completely the nature of their soul, and know its true name instinctively.

Also, you can't just 'summon' a daemon in its true form irrespective of other factors.. the more powerful a daemon is the harder it is to summon. Greater daemons take days of origastic celebration and ritual and the saccrifice of a living body to serve as a host. The daemon primarchs are arguably even more difficult.. Angron could manifest on Armageddon because the line between the material world and the warp was decayed and hordes of daemons were already pouring through, not to mention most of the population was being massacred, tearing open the hole even more. Recreating such an event in a controlled way would be impossible.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
I'm not even sure daemon princes have True Names. They're a weird amagamation of mortal and warp-stuff; it's not unreasonable to suggest that they don't operate by all the same rules.

Mantis said:
True names, and I'm partly going by fantasy but it makes sense, are long and extremely difficult to pronounce correctly (and they have to be pronounced absolutely correctly to have any power).
The GK novel by Ben Counter has its protagonist banish a Tzeentchian greater daemon by reciting its true name, which had been mistaken as the mad rantings of a psychic inquisitor driven mad by studying said daemon. The Name occupied several pages. It takes him...quite a while.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Not to mention that to summon a daemon, they must be in the warp first. Most of the daemon-primarchs are on worlds in the Eye, so it wouldn't be possible for some to be summoned. Otherwise I'm sure the Inquisition would have tried to summon Lorgar from Sicarus or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A true name is not the same as a given name, it's a word which is inscribed on a daemon's very being.. Names which the Daemon primarchs recieved while mortal like 'Fulgrim' are probably about as meaningful as the other given names daemons go by, like 'Doombreed'. True names, and I'm partly going by fantasy but it makes sense, are long and extremely difficult to pronounce correctly (and they have to be pronounced absolutely correctly to have any power). Human beings give each other names all the time, they're fairly trivial and meaningless. I'd imagine once a person becomes a daemon prince, they understand more completely the nature of their soul, and know its true name instinctively.

That is a good point, though if they did indeed have true names, you would think that eventually said name could be figured out, and one figured out it can be put in the book of true names that the GK and Inquisition have.
The whole idea is a theory which if it were possable would still require countless years and sacrifices to carry out.
Really the other magical clone babys that are still good need to stop BSing around and come back

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
As mentioned.. the Daemon primarchs don't tend to leave the daemon worlds they rule in the Eye of Terror. This means Imperial servants don't really come into contact with them. As far as I can see it takes extensive study of a particular daemon to learn its true name, and the only recorded time anyone saw one of the daemon primarchs was when Angron and his bodyguard fought a strike force of grey knights, very few of whom survived and those who did were in no condition to even take notes, let alone undertake some kind of long term study project.

Heck, even the Emperor's Children don't know where Fulgrim is.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Could be even more complex as we now so little about what primarchs are. We know a fair bit about daemons but primarchs are about as understood as the Emperor. All that comes from modern fluff is the hint that primarchs don't have organs and are less flesh and blood and more pure energy given form. The only only thing solid(ish) is that the Emperor did a deal with Chaos to create them, betrayed the deal and Chaos got pissed and scattered then across the galaxy. Although that does come from a vision Horus had created by Chaos to make him fall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts