Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
kinkeh secks pl0x?!
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. hi guys :)

After a long time away from Fantasy, I have decided (due to my student loan) that I would venture in and start a new army. And this army is Tomb Kings :D

I managed to buy a new army on the mega cheap because my friend, who used to work at Games Workshop handed in his notice and allowed all Veterans to use his 50%discount!! score huh!?

So here's what i've purchased:

2 Battallion boxes
1 TK horses
1 TK warriors
1 TK chariots
4 Ushabti's
1 Giant
1 Prince
2 Liche Priests and the collectors LP from the website. The casket LP essentially.

Unfortunately they didnt have anything else so, thus far no Catapults or scorps. But hopefully, Christmas permitting, they will be purchased in the future :)

So, as i don't want the use the cruddy projects forum, I'm going to convert and build and paint my army and post the pictures here, If thats ok with our shining community?

I plan on starting a few discussions about tactica and paint schemes in the future but my main question today is this:

Why do people not like/use Giants in their lists?
Personally I love the model, and whilst playing a few games (proxied models) 2 of these bad boys running around together have caused significant pain to all sorts of units.

Together they've mauled a Grave Guard unit led by a vamp, A 40 man Stormvermin unit with Bell and Seer and a Temple Guard Unit led by a Slaan.

All Discussion and opinion is valid, Nobody is wrong here. I'd just like your input :)

Mucho Love.
Your newest Tomb Prince
- :dance:BT

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi Tiberius, welcome to the legions of the TKs. :)

I think this is a good place to put your thread too. There's nothing worse than trawling through the endless pages of 40k stuff to find the almost non existant TK items. If the mods want to then I guess they can always move it over at a later date.

Since you are new to TK I would point you in the direction of the Beginners guide to TK that Phoenix wrote a while back. Lots of good info in that one and highly recommended -although the general concensus about the value of tomb guard has changed somewhat since it was written.

Here's a link for you:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/tomb-kings/122315-beginners-guide-tomb-kings.html

Why do people not like/use Giants in their lists?
There is a great appraisal of the bone giant in the beginners guide that will explain things fully for you. Essentially though, it boils down to this:

They're horribly overcosted (you can have two upgraded SSCs for the price of a single bone giant), their WS is just too low to make the unstoppable assault consistently effective anywhere except in theory, and -worst of all- by taking a BG you use up a rare slot that could (and really should) be filled with either an SSC or casket of souls. The casket is viewed as nigh on mandatory by a lot of people in the current environment because it is essential to achieve parity in magic (at the very least) if you want to do well.

The SSC IS mandatory. We need the SSC. Aside from the fact that it scares opponents to death, the SSC fills a gap in our abilities that cannot really be filled by anything else. If you look at the units that typically cause us the most problems then you will generally find the advice given invariably starts with "Smack it with your SSC...". This is not a coincidence. ;)

Some people let their hearts rule their heads where old boney is concerned because he looks cool and can be good fun. I can't argue with that, but there are definately better ways to spend the points if you are looking to do well. Having said all that, if they are working well for you and you are having fun with them -and it certainly sounds like you are- then good luck to you bud. :)

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
Vallah nailed the most of it :) I would just like to add that the BG is a Large Target, which makes him an easy target...

//Nagash

·
kinkeh secks pl0x?!
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so today,
I've started looking into building (and converting) and for eases sake making this army easier to transport because dear god does it look like i'm going to have a few pains getting it around places.

So this is what i have done to ease transportation:
Every chariot banner is pinned for ease of removal so they don't snap, as well the the crew for the same reason.
All mounted units.. i.e my light horsemen are also pinned for ease of transportation.

What have i been up too?
Today i managed to get loads done as I am home for Christmas :)
I have built my Giant (which took FOREVER - reinforced with pinning)
i also built 20 skeletons with HW and Sheild... These will count as tomb guard when i get around to converting them.
20 Skelly bowmen
3 Chariots
and 10 Light Horsemen.

I have been lurking on the tomb King forum for some time and have found alot of conversions for the casket of souls which, i must admit do look very good :) I am thinking about doing the same since i have the Liche Priest model already (a housemate got me it for christmas) I may start an attempt of that later tomorrow. Depending on family plans.

So my new question for today is:
What do we use to transport our armies? and has anyone done what i have? and freaked out about how fragile the silly plastic skellies are and have pinned everything?
I know a few people who took an extra step and pinned there skeleton warriors... and then use other means of transportation such as self cut foam.

To come are questions on tactics... and basic List writing: I hope that this will help others, other than myself :)
Also a quick thanks to nagash and Vallah who have responded to my initial thread and given me great advice.

I myself, love the model for the giant and I plan to use him in 2000pts always. I also have my first proper game tomorrow using this army, I'll tell you how it went later in the evening when I can't sleep because i'll be wide awake because i am a big child at heart.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Bro Tib! Welcome on board :) Seems that you are well on your way, i look forward to checking out your first lists (am looking now to see if they are there already)

·
Registered
190 Posts
First off, welcome to the community! Glad to see newcomers and even more glad to help.

As for transportation of models I know my friends use old egg cartons to store like metal units or more important units. For me I dont really care about my skeletons ( I have a very dirty looking bone scheme unlike the GW pictures of pure white bones) Through the years arms and such have fallen off since these guys get beat around and I actually like having some skeletons with a missing arm making it a more humorous and skeleton feel IMO.

But back to the point. Egg cartons are pretty good. I also saved my battalion boxes and neatly place my units in kinda like tetris. Even a shoe box works. Lots of options.

Also the Bonegiant is an awesome looking unit, but can be really bad or really good. Just need lucky rolls. I've dropped him from my list since he stopped winning for me a long time ago, but hey it sounds like you are doing really well with him so keep doing what works for you. But I suggest trying out the CoS and SSC and using them together. Definitely drop the BG out when against Dwarfs and Empire. Anything with heavy shooting will blow it apart before it can move.

Good luck with your game and I look forward to seeing some lists.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think almost everything has been covered here. The only point I would add, as I haven't seen it while skim-reading, is that you would be very well advised to use up a special choice with a tomb scorpion. Given the general pants that are Ushabti, you might even go for two scorpions depending on the rest of your army and this would not be a bad thing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
you would be very well advised to use up a special choice with a tomb scorpion.
This is an excellent point. One of the things I often find whilst commenting on list is that people don't fill up their quota of special slots. This is a cardinal error in my book because the real strength of a TK list is generally to be found in the special selections.

Tomb scorpions are -without a doubt- the single best point for point unit we tomb kings have availlable to us. If you ever find you have a special slot free, its invariably a good idea to fill it with a scorp and your army will be the better for it. If this means you have to tinker with the rest of the list then so be it. It's worth the effort IMHO.

·
kinkeh secks pl0x?!
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must say, and i quote "god, i really need to keep on top of these things"
So how was everyones crimbo? mine was really good, seeing family and whatnot.

So, my game went very well, i massacred them, It was a pretty nooby chaos player so, yeah, i'll go into more depth in my next post.

Everyone seems to love the tomb scorpion, however, and i was just wondering: can you set them up normally or do you have to use the tunnelling rule?
Reason i ask is because I dont want to spend the points on something that could end up dead before it's had a chance to kill anything.

Do the dangers outway the benefits from using it as a warmachine killer? Especially since most crews are unbreakable now...

A list will be coming up later on here as well as the same list in the army list section,
Thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Congrats on the massacre bud. :)

Yep, Bluesystem is spot on, you can deploy scorps normally and not use ICFB at all if you want to.

Do the dangers outway the benefits from using it as a warmachine killer? Especially since most crews are unbreakable now...
Genearlly yes, but this is something you'll have to decide for yourself on a case by case basis. Obviously if you are playing against an opponent that isn't using war machines (like VC for example) then there is very little reason to risk the scorps on ICFB and you would be far better off deploying them normally. On the other hand, if you happen to come up against dwarves or another army that has a couple of nasty war machines that will mash your chariots then ICFB is probably a no brainer for obvious reasons.

The unbreakable thing is not really a big issue TBH because even if you can't kill the crew straight away, you can at least tie them up and generally prevent the use of the machine until it is to late for it to impact the game significantly.

You can kinda think of it as tarpitting on a smaller scale if you like (and you can also use scorps and carrion very effectively like this against pretty much any enemy ranged units). :)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Yep, the choice not to use ICFB is part of the appeal. Against an enemy without static targets like artillery....you might not want to burrow the scorps. In fact, since I use two of them, one usually ends up on guard duty, protecting the catapult and casket while the other one deepstrikes. Another good trick, if you're pretty defensive, is to have one deepstrike right about where it'd be looking at the back end of an enemy who charged your line...that tends to make people think twice about wading straight across the board...giving you more time to shoot at them while they work their way around to a charge angle that keeps them out of scorpion countercharge range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts