Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...This site will not tolerate them, not least myself. In the past few days of being a moderator this has hit home more than my usual pedantic attitude to spelling, due to a duty of going through all the active topics of the past day or so for any offenders.

There are a lot of things that can be cleared up with a few simple rules of both grammar and spelling:

Your: Possession. Eg, your house, your car keys, your life.

You're : (Contraction) You are. You're cool, you're going to die at 25 from cigarrettes, you're about to get whacked with Inkie's Moderator Clue-by-four.

There: Placement, Eg, I was there, they are over there, you're about to get your head kicked in over there.

They're: (Contraction) They are. Eg, They're about to kick your head in over there, they're over there waiting for you.

Their: Possession form. Eg, that model is theirs (pointing to member who the model belongs to.)

There are probably a few more ones, but these are the main ones that bust my pickle. Oh, I almost forgot.

People who love using the caps lock key or leet language or indeed, a mixture of the two in hybrid strains, you will not be tolerated on this site.

There is a very small but noticeable difference between this AND THIS. This will not get you flamed BUT THIS WILL, etc,ETC.

The small difference is 7/16ths of an inch.

Take note, folks.

(Note: Meant as a vaguely informative and informal guide to most words that folks regularly mix up and around in almost daily postage. No insults levelled at anyone are intended as anything more than a light hearted joke. Indeed, if you get the puns I have included then by all means send me a PM with a list.)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. I have had to edit several posts recently because they're (they are) so illegible I can't (can not) read them, nor should anyone else have to. Proper use of homonyms is important, and Inkie's guide may help some of you, but it's not as bad as the cursed "l33t." Also: any word that the board bleeps out is bleeped out for a reason. Don't try to circumvent it by inserting periods into your words or using "$" when you mean "S" etc.

·
Registered
857 Posts
'Round here, we call that "Cruisin' for a bruisin'." Or maybe just "Looking to get beaten half to death is a dark alley with baseball bats by angry Equizatore and me." I hope you're (you are) joking about the "spelling and grammar whores," because if you're (you are) not, I'm (I am) going to do something unpleasant to your account.

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maddox is one of the funniest people I have read on the net in ages, I find his work so fantastic simply because his worldview is approximate to my own.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by The_Inquisitor@Nov 13 2003, 14:26
Maddox is one of the funniest people I have read on the net in ages, I find his work so fantastic simply because his worldview is approximate to my own.
i agree with you :)
ok so simple mistakes are acceptable but not one like this?
teh spaec marinse are teh best amry ni teh wolrd!!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Maddox... hmmm, I'd like him more if he wasn't so bitterly cynical... I mean, I'm a cynic, but not like that. But his sense of humor does approximate mine...
Back on topic: let's agree that the people who do post "l33t" are not the kind of people who pay attention to intelligent threads like this one, and resolve to be harsher about it in the future. Then we can go get beer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Firstly.
l0l, u guyz r s0 l337 #4#4#4

Ahem.

Secondly.

I too, also hate the living hell out of people who can't spell, type, or read (Defines most of the population of the Internet unfortunately). I can only type as well as I can, because I've had 3 years practice, but it still hacks me off to read the crap that some people post. I speak English, and I have trouble reading some of it, so god knows what people of other nationalities make of it..

I have no problem with |337 however, if it's spelt properly, and only as a joke, like mine there up above. I hate people who use |337 to post normal crap.

That is all.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Inkie, I would've posted this in the general announcement forum personally... but seeing there's something resembling a discussion developing I'll just leave it in this forum.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ok, well I agree that I too hate whole-heartedly people who cannot spell correctly (forgive me if I spell something wrong in the post). But not letting people use "1337" or @$$, well, that's almost on the verge of censorship to the highest degree.

Ok, first of all, some people might not have had the same level of schooling we have had, or might not even be old enough to go through the same amount of schooling, or might even be mentally incapable of writing correctly (or typing correctly for the cynical *****s). Sure, go ahead and get angry at them for not using punctuation, but *****, that's thier Prerogative. God forbid someone be dumber than you.

I think it is somewhat ignorant to be running a site off of things that "annoy" you. God, it annoys me too, but human nature annoys the hell out of me as well, can I fix that? No, only genocide would.

I appreciate that you made this thread to "educate" the less educated, but some people want to type what they want to type.

Sorry if this was a cynical post but ignorance is one of the things I despise the most.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are you inferring that good old southern boys, like myself, should have to be educated in the literary arts? Sir, I am proud to have no formal education and, although the mastery of my cognitive faculties my not be as developed as other persons, I revel in the slow gate or stately march of my degenerated cortex.

Cletus Caruthers

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by Xaero@Nov 20 2003, 03:14
Ok, well I agree that I too hate whole-heartedly people who cannot spell correctly (forgive me if I spell something wrong in the post). But not letting people use "1337" or @$$, well, that's almost on the verge of censorship to the highest degree.

Ok, first of all, some people might not have had the same level of schooling we have had, or might not even be old enough to go through the same amount of schooling, or might even be mentally incapable of writing correctly (or typing correctly for the cynical *****s). Sure, go ahead and get angry at them for not using punctuation, but *****, that's thier Prerogative. God forbid someone be dumber than you.

I think it is somewhat ignorant to be running a site off of things that "annoy" you. God, it annoys me too, but human nature annoys the hell out of me as well, can I fix that? No, only genocide would.

I appreciate that you made this thread to "educate" the less educated, but some people want to type what they want to type.

Sorry if this was a cynical post but ignorance is one of the things I despise the most.
Not really. I mean no one wants to have to read l33t speak. Its not as if we aren't letting people speak their minds, but come on, if one IS going to speak their mind (Whether it be 40k related or not.) Then at least do it right.

I agree with you on the spelling and the fact some people may not have had the teaching or are still young players, but as I said, no one wants to have have to trawl though pointless amounts of l33t talk.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
First of all I'd like to ask what the heck |337 means! I have no freakin' idea! All these wierd internet phrases are lost on me (of course I know a few like IMO, LOL, LMAO, WYSIWYG etc) but they are mostly abbreviations anyway so they don't really count...

I don't think there should be rules about spelling as some people may have problems spelling in English either because of age, nationality or some disability.

HOWEVER, I must say that strange, unnessisary things like j00, |337 (whatever the hell it means) and others like them should be banned since they are plain annoying and leaves people like me with nothing but a 'say what?' :huh: .

Posts should be understandable and to the point. No more than that. As long as people understand what the post is about that ought to be enough.

Thank you very much! :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
maybe finally, some people will pay more attention to how they type on these forums. sometimes im staring at a post for five minutes before I grasp just a basic concept of what they are trying to say.

Who wants to start a collection fund to send people to english classes? :D

ps: i try to correct myself when I see I have made a stupid spelling mistake, so if you have noticed my mistakes in the past, please, dont hate me for it :)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Xaero: if someone doesn't have perfect spelling, I can live with that. I can't live with people who don't even try to make sentences, or who use 1337 which is just irritating in the extreme, even worse than typing in all caps.

Bobahat: 1337 means leet, or elite, it's when you substitute letters for numbers.

·
Registered
664 Posts
True, and I know this, but having The_inquisitor teach us a spelling class? Come on, that's just downright insulting, maybe not to me, but to most of the people here. I know 1337 talk is annoying, but come on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.