Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do i have to have one to field an assasin in the imperial guard army?
Also A suggestion if i were to have one equipment ect.
Also Do they take up a HQ choice?
And finally is it wise to have bodyguards with heavy bolters with them.

I'm trying to make a 'cookie cutter' Imperial guard army Ive never collected them before but i think i may have a deadly combo here:)
i do get carried away some times:ballon:
-rise

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Do i have to have one to field an assasin in the imperial guard army?

Also Do they take up a HQ choice?
Yes, you do need to take an inquisitor in order to take an assassin in an Imperial Guard army. And an inquisitor lord (an HQ choice in a witch hunter/daemon hunter codex) takes up an HQ slot, an inquisitor (an elites choice in the above two codecie) takes up an elite slot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Addendum to above post, if you want to have an assassin, you MUST take an Inquisitor Lord. You are only allowed to take one allied Elite unit. If you take the regular Inquisitor, you can't take an assassin anymore. So you have to take the Inquisitor Lord as an HQ, then an assassin as an Elite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another option, maybe, would be to take 1 elite inquisitor who is technically a Witchhunter, and 1 assassin from the demonhunter codex. It's a smarmy approach, but I think it would technically work!!

·
975 Posts
an army of vindicare assassins. Lol that would be funny. And to answere your question about multiple allies. The answere is no. This has been debated in both deamon hunter forums for as long as i can remember. The only way to get an assassin in your list (this does not apply to apocalypse obviously) is to take an hq inquisitor. And since you can only have 2 hq without starting a new foc your combining three armies as allies isnt legal.

Sorry to burst your bubble, i myself have spent a lot of time trying to get around those rules but it just doesnt work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
And now to the question of how do you get the cheapest Inquisitor + retinue
My current list is looking like this
Vindicare assassin 110
Leman russ Vanquisher w/ las cannon and a pair of heavy bolters, extra armour 205
Leman russ Vanquisher w/ las cannon and a pair of heavy bolters, extra armour 205

Then after a cheap Inquisitor lord w/ retinue the rest are spent of filling out the troops

I think this force will be awsome for 1000 point games as you have 3 units firing anti tank weaponary (Vanquisher shells and the turbo penetrator bullet if need be) And the cadian troopers to use there lasguns and other weaponary to advance/hold there ground using there torches on rapid flash. And the assassin plays the role of sitting in a tree and mainly targeting Leadership based leaders eg.imperial guard and especially the hive tyrant as they will all fall back because of synapse. Once the armoured threats are out the way the tanks switch to battle cannon ammunition and blast them away.

Also the vindicare will take out those champions or hidden powerfist guys. Most people leave the vindicare icolated which is wrong as he will not make his points back he needs to be on his own however he will be supported by battlecannon shots.0:
-rise

·
2,399 Posts
Another option, maybe, would be to take 1 elite inquisitor who is technically a Witchhunter, and 1 assassin from the demonhunter codex. It's a smarmy approach, but I think it would technically work!!
Nope - One Allied elite slot, not one slot per ally - I think it's in the general FAQ somewher (I was doing that for a while)

And now to the question of how do you get the cheapest Inquisitor + retinue

A DH Inquisitor with emperors tarot and boltgun is 36 points (elite slot)
With the huge variety and variation the real question is what do you want to do?

The flaws: T3 and STR3 - They die from instakill alot (including perils of the warp), and have trouble wounding in melee. I fix this by:
Hammerhand (STR6 @ init? oh, ok then.) - cheap psychic power, 2x ccw's even when equipped with a 2x handed weapon.
Lightning claws - Trouble wounding with 33%? re-roll all misses - voila! (although more expensive, and no ranged attack without scourging - another psychic power.)

I have heard of people buying 3x familiars and casting holocaust (psy power) on turn one, killing the familiars and then running around as a Independant character.
On another note your 2x BS4 Heavy bolter servitors are the same amount of HB hits as a fire support squad,
Artificer armour is good - and can go in rhinos (must...give...extra...armour... and...smoke launchers...) p.p.s. it's cheaper than T/Armour, and less restricted.

Oh, and don't forget everyone, if your henchman dies the stat increase stays on DH inquisitors! (Read Henchman+1 to BS/WS/Init etc etc.)

I seriously suggest looking at mixed Armour Value units rules first - and how they're allocated. most ar 6+ saves, warriors are 4+, and acolytes are whatever you want.

I may well post how to do Acrylic gem-like etched Lightning Claws with pics sometime if i can be bothered. (It takes about 4 hours per man)

·
Registered
281 Posts
True, but the rules are loosened up in CP arnt they? other wise IG armys wouldnt be able to compete, its impossible i think to get a viable legitimate guard army into 400pts...

·
Registered
226 Posts
For 400 points I can have 55 infantry with 4 Plasma guns or Melta guns in line squads. This meets the one HQ and two troops requirements.

:drinking:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Fair enough, I couldnt be bothered to to work it out... But still is a vin assassin viable in CP rules? Might be fairly cool to see how he'd stack up against a small army, seeing as imperial assassins are supposed one man armies...

·
2,399 Posts
True, but the rules are loosened up in CP arnt they? other wise IG armys wouldnt be able to compete, its impossible i think to get a viable legitimate guard army into 400pts...
Nonsense. Grenadiers Doctrine=
2x 5 man grenadier squads, 1x junior officer = 140points.
Now crowbar in a 347point super heavy and take the mickey in a 500 point tournament.
(for the remaining points get.... ummm a plasma gun and a power sword on the officer?)

A basic inquisitor costs 36 points (Elite inquisitor, emperors tarot and boltgun).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.