Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
(Un)Official LO Map Maker
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a few older witchhunter models off a friend-of-a-friend. As they had been previously painted by an over-excited 10 year old I wasn't all that happy with them.
I used some old paint stripper that I found in the garage, when I first used I wasn't sure how it'd go but I was really surprised. It's called "Polystrippa". I live in Australia which is literally the opposite side of the world from everyone else in America and Europe so I don't know if it will be available in your home country. Fairly certain that dad got it at Bunnings (do you guys even have Bunnings over there? Hardware heaven). If you can get it I definitely recommend it.
I took an older brush(one that I use for basecoating and terrain, not much else) and applied the stripper straight onto the model, a millimetre or two in thickness should do, it's quite viscous. I left the models for 5 minutes(the bottle said 2-15 minutes) and wiped an old cloth across the model. Apart from the recesses, all the paint came off. I used a screwdriver and an unfolded paper clip to try and remove all the remaining paint. There's still some in the gaps, I'm yet to try working with a needle. A second coat would probably help too, but it think it'll be okay without it.
I've seen other strippers being mentioned on this site, they all seemed to involve suspending your models in liquid for a whole day and night, this takes 10 minutes use this okay?
One problem...As these were witchhunter models they were all metal, and I'm not sure how the stripper will work if it's done on plastic. I'm going to experiment on old model of mine and see how it goes tomorrow. I'll comment on this post with results on the second coating, my needlework and how the plastic fared.
Safe Stripping!

Reactions: JoeyTZ

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Nope, Bunnings is an Aussie only company mate. I don't think that in Europe people even understand the concept of Hardware heaven :p just kidding... <.< >.>

Stripping metal models is not that hard in my opinion, because a lot of the strippers will not effect the actual model. Plastic however is quite a bit weaker and will get destroyed when using anything apart from the really weak stuff.

I'm looking foward to you posting the results, could you make a quick tutorial with pictures as well? I've never heard of this pollystripper.

Thanks, HFR.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could...though I've never done it before.

Would I post it in this forum?
any other advice?

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Yeah, just write it up on Microsoft Word a step by step of how to do it, where to buy thing etc and then post it in this forum. If the mod's not happy with where it is they will be more then happy to move it.

After all, thats why we give them carrots.

How did the plastic stripping go?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Metho works just fine on both plastic and metal.

Plastic is just more susceptible to becoming brittle. I generally am a lazy person so I leave plastic models in Simple Green for a while, eg a week because I get distracted easily, and then give it a brush with an old toothbrush rinse, quick metho dunk another scrub and you are gtg.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am not sure if they have this product outside of the United States, but Simple Green really works well on both plastic and metal !!

:soldier:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Most disinfectant cleaning liquids should work well, such as Dettol(the brown stuff) or the supermarkets own brand versions.

Might take a couple of days but it works amazingly and doesn't damage metals or plastics in any way.
(that saying, I have no idea if that is available outside of the UK.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve been painting models for 20 years now (and have a degree in chemistry) and what I found to work the best is engine degreaser and a toothbrush (do NOT use the toothbrush after you are done!!!!). Basically…
1) Soak the model in the degreaser for a day (use gloves if need be)
2) Take the model out and dry off (once again with gloves) using a paper towel that you later throw away.
3) Take to the sink and run cold water on it as you use a firm, brand new toothbrush to take away all of the excess paint
4) Throw away or at least put away the tooth brush so it is not used for someone’s mouth
I have tried many methods over the years and found this to work the best regardless of metal or plastic. The most important thing to remember is the degreaser is toxic (like more paint stripping agents) so beware.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would prefer this method

1. it's not toxic...I had it on my hands and I'm still normal, I swear it was the medical experiments that made me like this!
2. You don't wait a whole day
3. You don't lose a toothbrush (in this economy you can never know)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was wondering, does Simple Green or any of the other methods work on models that have been clear coated with a poly clear coat? I am interested in doing this, but only if it will take off the clear coat as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was wondering, does Simple Green or any of the other methods work on models that have been clear coated with a poly clear coat? I am interested in doing this, but only if it will take off the clear coat as well.
Simple Green is a gift of science. It strips plastic and metal clean with no damage whatsoever, not even to plastic. Soak them for a day or two, a bit longer if needed, but no longer than a week. Brush all the paint off with a toothbrush and its done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So what would be the equivelant of simple green in say the Netherlands. (where I convenieantly happen to live ;-) )

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
uhh... I'm in Australia, chilling with the kangaroos and drop-bears (not to mention one of the most hostile environments known to man! This place is freakin' crazy! Everything is trying to kill you! Even the koalas and possums!), so I have absolutely no idea. Keep asking around, somebody would know.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I live in Holland myself and I havent seen "Flash"or "Simply Green" there.

Tinux: probeer nagellak remover. is niet perfect maar wel erg goed. tandenborstel erin deppen en borstelen. of laten weken voor een middagje. met een doekje/tandenborstel erover gaan om restanten te verwijderen en afhankelijk van 't resultaat nog 'n keer doen.

note: I've posted above piece in Dutch, as it was easier for me to explain it in that language. I hope it isn't a problem. future post's will be in English.

·
Registered
284 Posts
So which simple green do i use. Being in canada, i went on the Canadaian Tire website and typed in simple green, which gave me a pageful of results. Which one should i use? I already tried a different method someone suggested using a car fluid and it didnt work.

·
Registered
246 Posts
In the US, hands down ;"super clean" is the best for cleaning minis. Its an engine degreaser and it is safet for all types(resin, plastic, and metal.) Soak overnight and then rub off with a toothbrush. USE GLOVES!!!! MAKE SURE YOUR IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts