Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So time has come for me to start a new thread of a new modelling thingie...or two actually. I feel a bit like if I'm just riding the wave of the titans being created but this has as much to with the inspiration I got from them as it has to some other important things.
*Karmoon
*Titan Knights/Biped Defiler builds
*My own work0:
*The Brass Scorpion of Khorne
*Appocalypse

So, though they are not so common here on LO I've seen a lot of Defilers converted to Knight Titans from the unmentionable place WIP. It's a mighty nice place, but totally unlinkable from here, I don't know why.
Some of them I have liked but most of them have been nothing more than Defilers with less legs than usual. I've however always been struck by the potential of such a conversion.

So, with help from Karmoon I've come to be able to try my wings on this idea, it's a little similar (or will be) to my earlier Chaos Conversions.
I initially thought about making it into a loyalist Knight but as soon as I touched the sculpting tools and stated roaming my bitsbox, I knew I was smoked. Chaos owns me...

These models will be able to use as Titans of some sort (Knight-ly in size and armament) in Appocalypse games, with their rules -void shields and such...did I mention structure points:)
but I would also like to be able to field them in a regular game of 40K as Defilers, so they are not super huge or anything.

Finally the BrassScorpion. The inspiration I drew from this is far more obstinate then the earlier sources. Buy two expensive kits to build one expensive model... not really my cup of tea I must say. So I thought I'd go the other way around. Build two models from one kit.

I used parts mainly from the Defiler, but then some from all over the place and due to my son (2 year old) playing with the digicam, hiding it like if it was a pirate-treasure under stuff in the playroom I have not been able to document the early states of conversion. But It's quite easy just cutting and glueing.

Apart from the sparebits and the Defiler there is quite some plasticard being used too. A lovely material to work with, get a knife and a pair of siccors and just go crazy.

Finally I have to mention the bluetac. If it only was aliving being I think I would marry it. Such a great lifecompanion. Forget the dog, bluetac is man's new best friend.
You'll see quite a lot of blue tac here, though it's nowhere close to what it used to be.

Rambling? Me? Pics? OK.
I'll start with the head. I think it's just the top and botom of the defiler upperbody with some plasticard on the sides.

The front filter s from some German WWII tank thing I bought secondhand at the carbootsale. It was quite expensive...30p or something and has supplied a lot of interesting parts this far. The Chaos-star is from the Defiler kit, just cut it down, filed it flat on one side and attached it.

Then I go to the arms, none of them finished both very WIP. The right arm will be armed with the Battlecannon and It'll also have the optional Reaper Autocannon. I've used the basic setup on my earlier Defilers and it's been a great little complement to the big one. Though the new rules with the chance of getting a bucketload of CC-attacks makes the choice a bit harder. So I'll keep it open.

See, bluetac all over the place:) The two Autocannons are from the Cadian boxed set of Heavies, the pipe is from a russ and the exhaust at the end is the backpiece of a really old plastic SM-terminator.

I'll be adding details and Chaosy things in a while, but first I'm waiting for the Sentinel leg to soak breakfluid enough so it can be stripped from the inchthick layer of paint someone just had to give it. (Folks, never ever use a roller to paint minis, sure it's fast but you are bound to lose some details on the way)

The other arm (the left one) is to be kept a CC-dedicated limb. So I basically just going to give it one mother of a claw, build from...the Defiler's claws.
The arm is made up from a couple of lascannons, the CC-arm of the Defiler, some wire and a little greenstuff and random pieces of plastic. There is also some Defiler armour on it.

It will get a thumb and I will fill the freaky holes in the defilerclaws with plasticard. You can see some of the Defiler CCW tubing used as ...well CCW tubing.

Then we'll take the legs. For them I've cleverly used... the arms of the Defiler. It took some filing and positioning to get them into a beliviable pose but to me the pose is very important, so it was well spent time. I also used some plasticard to make the lower legs a bit wider. They'll get armourplates covering them in a later state and some more pistons and hightechyness in the back.

Aren't they beautiful;)
Here's a pic of them both...

The upper body is made from the Defiler torso and the...the..hmm...thing that keeps the defiler's legs in place. Spine-like gizmo you know. To this I've added a Dreadnaught missile launcher, half a teleporterhomer, a rhinodoor split in half and some plasticard.
The greenstuff you can see used to hold the Defiler exhaust pipes but they fell of shortly before I found the camera. They'll be back next time I post pics though.
The front is made from two LemanRuss HB-turrets and the top is plasticard and the soon to be greenstuffed other half of the Chaos-star I used in his face.
BACK

FRONT

RIGHT

LEFT

So, that's about it...nah;)
I've used the trusty old bluetac to put him together too, just so I can work on the pose. It might be a bit difficult to see at the moment, but once the armour plates and tubing has been added (and of course the right upperarm) ..and feet and...more... you'll all see how it is supposed to look.
I want him to have that "come here and I'll rip you apart or stand there and I'll shoot ou to pieces, course I'm a machine possessed by a daemon with a lot of attitude"-look that the Chaos Warhound has.
Oh, and I almost forgot -he's got a loincloth too. It's just straight from the OgreBullies box.

That's all for now folks.
Please critisize me in the creative way.
:drinking:

·
Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!!
913 Posts
Wow!! I really like it!

Are you going to make any more width on the shoulders? Something for the arms to 'plug into' perhaps? Just thinking of the Titans and the way the arms/shoulders/torso are made.

The legs look fantastic. I hope the feet are equally as wonderful, they will be very important to the look of the project when completed.

The pose look great.

Looking forward to more photos!!

·
Bork! Bork! Bork!
416 Posts
I really like the chaos star on the sides of the head but my only shigrin (Is that a word? Am i using it right?) is the gun arm, it doesn't really look right, maybe its the angle its at or positioning, Ill see what other say.

Good work.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comment:)

Oh, yes he'll of course be getting a couple of big shoulderplates.
I think I might even add a few spikes, the rusty yet organic looking ones that can be found on the FW model. Not sure just yet though if they'll be of the flat version found on the bigger titans or if I'll go for the rounded ones that can be found on the Knight Titans, they look like huge SpaceMarine shoulderpads if you know what I mean.
I'll try them both I guess...

I'll be making the feet from Plasticard and they'll be inspired by the FW-model but the back-toe/heel-thing will be a curved blade like the ones on the claw.

@Pancakes: it could be the lack of upperarm and the extensive use of bluetac;) It'll look better once finished I assure you, but thanks for the warning, it's mighty easy to get blind for what's to close..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks great so far, let's hope it gets even better!

Oh, and nice use of the "snusdosa" as a support for the pieces...

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers:)
Those Snusdosor really rocks for oh so many reasons. They are great to keep bits in one little box for each proect and then to make things even beter, you can use them as palettes too. The little lid is just great when thinning your paints. Oh, I love them:)

By the way, I dropped the Titan and hs left arm (only bluetacked no damage) went backwards. It's a bit strange I never tried this pose on him before but it looks quite good actually. More of a lumbering look than the "Come get some"-attitude he has in the pics.

Now I'm uncertain... still there's a lot of work to be done before the final posing.

I also realised I didn't talk about the other Defiler at all in my first post.
It'll be a huge Nurgloid sluglike thing with guns, eyes and bones coming out from all over the place. This one I'm working on in the pics will become either an Iron Warriors or a Tzeentch one. I have yet to make up my mind.

·
Registered
368 Posts
A Tale of Two Defilers (M.42) is one of Dickens’ two historical novels, the other being Bolter Rudge, the two Defilers in question are Parisala and Landon at the time of the Chaos Revolution. Perhaps unsurprisingly Dickens seems to disdain the Imperium. The heroic Chaos Space Marine, Charles Darnay, renounces his status in opposition to his uncle, the Chaos Lord de St Evremonde, and the evils of oppression he represents. Meanwhile, Dr Manette the apothecary has become aware of the Marquis’ ill-practice through a young peasant and his sister who have been hideously treated. After Darnay leaves Terra, he falls in love with Manette’s daughter, Lucie, and they are married. The story continues after Darnay’s happiness with Lucie as he returns to Terra during the Heresey to save a servant. Darnay is arrested and condemned to death. The final section of the novel is concerned with the question of whether he will survive or be punished for his noble act of rescue, and whether or not the Space Marine Carton who resembles Darnay will be able to save his life. It is a story of great sacrifices being made for the sake of principle. The novel is notable for its vivid representation of Terra during this troubled time and was modelled on Carlyle’s The French Revolution. Although contemporary critics saw it as humourless, it has become popular since then due to film and dramatic adaptations.

(I couldn't resist - the models look nice)

·
Registered
130 Posts
8Xi dont care what you say, im going to steal your idea one day.

that thing is the koolest most awsomest little titan thingy ive ever seen :)

cant wait to see more;Y

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Yeah its nice, the defiler is such a beautiful model ( i think) why would you do this to it :(
But what you have done is very well presented :)

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts

What's this drawing to the right? :p

This looks to be one of your bigger projects. You've certainly got down the stance and posture of this mammoth beast. It's very well designed, and I'm excited to see where you're going. Some really good ideas going into this model. Great work as always.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all:)
@sister bluebird, thanks for the short story, I might print it and keep it inside the defiler as a charm:)

@stugg, you can't steal it - as soon as it hits the board it's common property. Due to the lack of intellectual property demands from my behalf it's already your idea too;)

@omgitsduane, I do it because I can, he he he, and there's really quite nothing like defiling a defiler, right? It has this poetic justice to it I always fancied.

@rabbit, the drawing is for my thesis, it's an attempt to use the essence of Cat Steven's "Where do the children play?" in spatial planning. This is a pic of a kid in far to big boots, playing he's a farmer. Quite the opposite yet somehow reminding of the Defiler pretending to be a Titan... O'll try to make the latter fill his boots though.

I'll be adding some details to it tonight, rivets and some more greenstuff. I'll try to get some pics up too, the new stance is growing on me ad I might need to ask your advice guys ad guy-ettes.

Cheers all
:drinking:

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Rabbit made me do it!!!

So here I was, quite decided upon building one Defiler dedicated to Nurgle and one Titan Knight of the Iron Warriors, when in all of a sudden I stroll pass the Picture of the day thread while filing on some random piece of plasticard.
A Nurgle theme...

My hands began to work before I realised what was happening my Knight dedicated himself to Nurgle. He is a mighty charming God after all, right?

So, here's today's progress and though the pipes on his back doesn't have to say he's Nurgloid they give me a hint of where he's going.

Those are the exhaust pipes, of some bonelike material I guess...
The Defiler Exhausts looked mighty small when I reattached them earlier today, as if they spent the night shrinking away in the bitsbox.
I'm really happy with the result though as it gives him way more height and adds that living-metal-feeling I am such a sucker for.
From the side he looks like this: (Crappy pic alert!!!)

And here's a sizecomparision, he is quite a large fellow I must say. Even larger once his feet are in place.

Talking about feet, I've been considering giving him hooves, cloven metallic-organic-ish hooves, what do you think about that?

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Hooves would be very nice and nurgly, that is for sure.

Looking great by the way bud.

I have no constructive comments to make at the moment. You are simply too talented.

-t.

edit:
Also, what the hell? An evil, nurgly Emperor's Champion? Why haven't I seen him before...?

·
Registered
130 Posts
hmm stealing an idea sounds more rebelious :)

but seriously this thing is awsome and i think the hoof idea would work great. infact you gave me another idea for if i make a chaos army, give them all hoves ;Y

keep it up, cant wait to see more8X

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The idea is mine and only mine! You'll never be allowed to do anything even similar!

(hope it feels better;) )

@-t It's actually an attempt to build a loyalist...but as everyone can see by this project any attempt to resist the foul Gods from my side are as puny as they are futile...

I thought a while he'd be the Big Man in a squad of Templars I'm working on from time to time, but I most probably will never get around to finish him. The face was fun to paint though...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts