Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YOu can go back in time and change one thing. For example save Abe Linchon or JFK or give the french guns that can swivel in WW2. What would it be? This is of course assuming you can except the Reprocussions. So if you stop WW2 baby-boomers and their kids are gone.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'd go back about twelve years to give myself a kick in the ass.

Reactions: Grey

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
so many get-rich schemes to post... let's keep it simple... i'd go back in time to just before the time machine was invented and patent the time machine... or the nuke, the computer, electricity, the wheel, fire, sex... anything

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
I would go back a few hundred years, build a massive storage vault in a mountain, and then buy original manuscripts by masters such as Shakespeare, Beethoven, Bach, and so on; I would also commission artists like Van Gogh, Picasso, Michelangelo, and such forth; and store them in the vault.
Oh, and I'd buy ownership of the DeBeers company, just cause I like sparklies

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
ive seen too many films where people rip the fabric of time itself by their actions...the butterfly effect people!!

saying that id like to go back to the beginning of time to find out the truth

·
Registered
404 Posts
Any time some great historical item dissapeared or got destroyed I would go back and rescue it. I do like the giant mountain vault idea to store it in. No matter what though I would do my absolute best not to screw up the natural development of time.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Are we assuming that we ourselves and our thoughts and memories wouldn't be effected by our actions?

Ie: The machine shields us in a temporal bubble or whatever, so if we go back and say prevent Attila the Hun from getting off the steppes, will we remember that he in fact did in our own 'personal' timeline?

Its one thing to mess around with time travel, and another to be messed around by it.

Incidently on this subject, this is pretty funny.

Incidently if I could avoid any serious reprecussions to myself and selected friends and family, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use a time machine to make money beyond the bare minimum necessary. I'd use it to gain the opportunities that money couldn't buy. Namely:

1. Travel to the future to get personal enhancements like perfect vision, perfect(if still selective) memory recall and the like. Must not forget the ultra serums to prevent any present, extinct and future diseases. An extended lifespan would also be a must to enable us to enjoy some of the pleasures to come. A couple wonder weapons would be useful. If my time machine couldn't simultaneously travel through distances I'd fix that at this point.

2. See all the animals/people/sights that I would want to see. Giant Sloths/Pyramids being built/ect.

3. Hit on and hopefully succeed in seducing the most beautiful women throughout history because I am an unrepentant male.

4. Eat and drink the best food and booze from anywhere or anytime, amass the greatest wine cellar ever.

5. Bring a Digital camera and gobs of memory to the lost Library of Alexandria.

6. Get a 'pet' triceratops. Because I want one. Hunt dinosaurs of other types and sundry dangerous beasts because again, why not.

7. Set up a secret society around 2000 years ago who I can give info to every time I drop in and who will research things for me. I will of course be the hidden master revealed by code words and the like.

8. Learn to fence/write/wrestle/fight/dance/ski/play music from the great masters of the past.

9. Go become a demigod in some privitive culture for ****s and giggles.

10. Engineer an 'arch enemy' and have entertaining adventures battling them throughout time and space. Don't make them too competant though.

11. Get some more philandering in.

12. Leave packages for my friends to be delivered at specific times and dates from hundreds of years ago if I could manage it. Just to see the looks on their faces.

13. Jump in every 10-20 years to engineer the 'perfect' breed of dog. Why? Because I like dogs. I like cats too, but purebreed cats are too high strung.

14. Solve my curiousity about various theological questions.

15. Build a friggen castle about a thousand years ago and pop in every couple hundred years or so to add to it. When I finally 'inherit' it now, it will have a long an glorious history with a series of paintings that look suspiciously like me.

16. Get a suntan, eat lots of garlic flavoured foods and drink lots of wine so I won't get staked as a 'vampire' due to 15.

17. As stated earlier by a wise man, travel about 15 years into the past and give myself a good talking to and a kick or three in the ass.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'd go back in time 9 hours or so and stop this thread. Ha.

Or go back 200 years and put $200 in the bank. Mmm cumulative interest.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The only history I would change would be to give myself more wealth, like, say, I do something so that when I get back to my regular scheduled time, I have more money. Then, it wouldn't be altering the past because it's something that was never changed due to the time machine. IE nothing changes until I get back, so I'm not really changing the past...

Never mind, if I had a time machine I'd just smash it because of all the complications it would cause.

·
God's nutcase
1,906 Posts
I'd go back in time and actually make it possible to go back in time; things like this cause far too many complications; watch any Back to the Future film (particularly part 2) to see what messes this can cause. Schemes like this assume a kind of omniscience that just plain doesn't happen.

If you must press me, I'd go back and stop Original Sin from happening.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
i wouldn't have to go back in time to do what i wanted to do; because i'd already be feeling the effects of being filthy rich from using the time machine at a later date, which would dissuade me from even bothering with the time machine... i'd invent a suicide booth instead and distribute those amongst the population, sort of like telephone booths...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Certemplar said:
i wouldn't have to go back in time to do what i wanted to do; because i'd already be feeling the effects of being filthy rich from using the time machine at a later date, which would dissuade me from even bothering with the time machine
Hah ha that's the thing, once someone's invented a time machine then time is no longer a barrier and there will have ALWAYS been time travelers and the way the world is now is the result of those time travelers. The fact that there aren't time travelers now means that no-one is ever going to invent a time machine in the whole future of humanity. Unless there ARE time travelers and they keep their identities secret...

But that's beside the point. If I could change one thing in the past I wouldn't. I can't see how everything isn't connected to everything else and I'd be too afraid that I'd accidentally end the universe or something. I'd just back slowly away from the time machine and bury it under the sea.

Except that if I did go and change something in the past I'd know it wouldn't have any repercussions because the future would still exist for me to invent the time machine in and go back and -AARGH! :wacko:

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
oh, one thing i would do is go back to the 80s and get a financial interest in GW- would be nice to get some money back off them :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts