Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was my first 40k tournament ever. There were like 20 tables and 40 players and it was in the middle of the world's biggest mall and it was cool answering questions from people coming up to the edge of the pit and wondering WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS DOING

IS THAT A GAME

I DON'T GET IT

Anyway we raised 1700 dollars for cancer research and I was totally shocked to place 2nd overall.

I also won Best Presentation (there were three awards, Best Presentation, Best General and Best Sportsmanship) for my Tyranids.

Here I am a strategizin:

(The Tourney was actually much more crowded than this but everyone is behind the camera. Also the terrain wasn't the greatest compared to what I've seen at US tourneys but there were only like four GW employees putting it on and it was the first one ever.)

MY FINE FINE BOYS VOTED PURTIEST BY OTHER PLAYERS

My Lazy Dice Wench:

(Identity concealed to protect the guilty)

Some of the other armies:

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
"Impressive... most impressive."

Well look at that, this man placed second in a 40 person tournament... AND HE USED A CLOSE COMBAT CARNIFEX. Maybe they are good, and everyone else bandwagons the hate train? Congrats to you my friend, and keep Givin' em the business and representing the 'Nids (with CC Fex's)!!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Well congrats on getting second as that is about as well as I have done (unforunate for me...but alas don't go to the tournament scene enough). Though I am curious as to what you used in your list and what the points where as well. Also be nice to know what some of your competion is as well.

Always liked learning more on such things espically since you took some unconsidered optimized units like a CC fex and hormagaunts.

·
It's a Trap!
1,750 Posts
I would like to see a battle report as well. Looks like you all had a great time, although I don't think I'd ever play warhammer in the middle of a mall, but I'm sure it was good advertising and sounds like you made some money for charity, so it's all good :p

You also have some very snazzy looking nids there. I really like your paint job and they look great. Do you have any close up pics of them? They look good.

Anyway, lets have a round of applause for knightenfex for reppin' those nids!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks dudes.

To answer your questions:

1. I'll try to post some closer pics of my boys later.

2. I COULD give a battle report or two but I couldn't take any pictures because I was too busy concentrating to take turn-by-turn pictures and you only have 2 hours to play a game.

3. I CAN post my army list:

Hive Fleet Critter
1700 points

HQ
-Winged Hive Tyrant (__)

Flesh Hooks (_)
Acid Maw (__)
Adrenaline Glands - +1 WS (_)
Adrenaline Glands - +1 I (__)
Implant Attack (__)
Toxin Sacs (__)
Wings (__)
Warp Field (__)
Scything Talons x2 (__)

Total = 223

Troops
-Genestealers (Skinny Brood) x12 (_____192)
Flesh Hooks (_____12)

Total = 204

-Genestealers (Nightmare Brood) x8 (_____128)
Flesh Hooks (____=8)
Extended Carapace (___=32)
Scything Talons (___=32)

Total = 200

-Hormagaunts x12 (______120)

Elites

-Carnifex (__)
2x Twin-linked Devourer (__)
Enhanced Senses (_)
Flesh Hooks (_)

Total = 114

Heavy Support

-Carnifex Two-headed. (__)
Flesh Hooks (_)
Ext. Carapace (__)
Reinforced Chitin (__)
Bonded Exoskeleton (__)
Enhanced Senses (_)
Regenerate (__)
Barbed Strangler (__)
Venom Cannon (__)

Total = 239

Carnifex Green-face. (__)
Flesh Hooks (_)
Ext. Carapace (__)
Reinforced Chitin (__)
Bonded Exoskeleton (__)
Enhanced Senses (_)
Barbed Strangler (__)
Venom Cannon (__)

Total = 209

-Carnifex Purple-face. (__)
Flesh Hooks (_)
Adrenaline Glands +1 I (_)
Reinforced Chitin (__)
Extended Carapace (__)
Scything Talons x2 (__)

Total = 148

Fast Attack

-Ravener x3 (____90)
-Scything Talons
-Rending Claws (____30)

Total = 120

-Ravener x3 (_____90)
-Scything Talons
-Rending Claws (_____30)

Total = 120

Well look at that, this man placed second in a 40 person tournament... AND HE USED A CLOSE COMBAT CARNIFEX. Maybe they are good, and everyone else bandwagons the hate train? Congrats to you my friend, and keep Givin' em the business and representing the 'Nids (with CC Fex's)!!!

Interesting you guys are mentioning the unorthodox choices.

GET THIS

My roommate who uses Eldar only lost one game at the tournament, and it was to a dude using A TYRANID SWARM ARMY.

Like, 90 gaunts, 18 warriors, 1 carnifex and some zoanthropes. No Tyrant at all.

This NUTBAR even put Spore Cysts on his Carnifex. He was very very proud to announce at the end of the tournament that one of those spores actually killed TWO WHOLE ORKS during the tournament.

I'm not sure how he did on the rest of the tournament though. I'm supposed to be getting the full results this week sometime.

You might also notice that I put Regeneration on my sniper-fex. Apparently I'm not supposed to do THAT either.

Also, people knock Hormagaunts for some reason but those 12 hormies saved my butt on the only 2 close games I had that day.

Oh yeah, here were my wins and losses:

Round 1: Crushing Victory vs. Blood Angels ----(Table Quarters)

Round 2: Solid loss vs. Imperial Guard -----(Some damn football-like scenario)

Round 3: Crushing Victory vs. Orks -----(Kill the HQ)

Round 4: Victorious Slaughter vs Tau ------(The one where you choose a unit to be worth double points.)

I had to merge three posts and edit out the individual costs for models and upgrades. Not a happy Drake. - Katie D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mr Knightly, dude, you both triple-posted and posted point values.. The White Rabbit is gonna have a fit when he sees this. Better amend if you don't want him to go Monty Phyton on your ass :p - There are fouler things than Rabbits. Drakes are about! - Katie D

Anyway, great reading your posts. How much did the cc carnifex kill? Did it scare your opponents into shooting at him?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WHOA

I am really really sorry man.

I wasn't even thinking when I did that.

Also I didn't know it was bad to post more than once in a row.

Sorry you had to do all that work it was a long night-shift last night and I wasn't thinking.

·
Hive Fleet Níðhöggr
247 Posts
I had to merge three posts and edit out the individual costs for models and upgrades. Not a happy Drake. - Katie D
Don't want to rain on your parade but by leaving summed costs for Biomorphs and size of brood it's kind of easy to figure out the point cost for every biomorph. Just wanted to give you the heads up on that....

·
815 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a good time, great that you were able to earn money for charity!

I agree, there's nothing wrong with a swarm CC army. I enjoy fielding such myself to good effect. Just shows the versatility of the nid book.

I still wouldn't field a CC fex though. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are fouler things than Rabbits. Drakes are about! - Katie D
Actually, according to the beastiary presented by the Monty crew, white rabbits are a lot like drakes. Only they are more unpredictable, a lot more efficient killers, lack that cold kind of warmth that drakes tend to possess, and of course..they are stark raving mad!

In fact, the only thing I can think of that is scarier than the white rabbit, is a smurf. Just imagining a 2 inch blue person say “better behave, or I’m gonna smurf you” sends shivers down my spine!..

..It’s good that I can then think of ultramarines instead of real smurfs, and just have a laugh. It saves me my nightly sleep.

Anyway, thank you for saving Mr Knightly from the White Rabbit, Ms Drakie :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well you have all been asking about the close combat fex.

he's my damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't unit.

You'll notice he's only 150 points roughly--somewhere in between a 200 pt monster and the 114 point elite choice. That way it's not a huge loss if I lose him, but it's harder to lose him because of the extended carapace. But he's also enough points that he is not a pushover.

I used him in a few different ways:

1: Blocker, he moves up and to the left or right of one of my ranged Carnifexes, reducing the number of targets that can hit the ranged fex (which I need to take out tanks) because he blocks line of sight.

2: He's sneaky--because he's not shooting at anyone for a couple of turns they tend to ignore him in favor of taking out my tank killers and genestealers, then he gets up close with all of his wounds and takes out whatever he wants. In my third game he climbed a tower and fought the Ork General head to head for one round and only one round, killing the Ork. This was after ripping a Wartrukk apart and killing half the dudes inside. he's sort of like, "If you ignore me, you get the genestealers with scything talons; if you ignore the genestealers with scything talons, then you get ME."

3: MAIN REASON: I love him and he's fun :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.