Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm refering to the 5 man box that GW now sells. I got one - don't ask why, I am not really sure myself - but I've been thinking about why GW would release such a product. Besides making money, that is.

What about this squad -

5 Chaos Space Marines - 75 pts

That it. It's cheap. It footslogs, it shoot things with bolters, it grabs objectives, it charges into close-combat, it's basically a cheap throw-away unit - not meant to fill up the 2 requisite troop choices on the FoC, but to support them.

Yeah, it's kind of a stretch. I wouldn't use 2 such squads in a list, just one (if you're going to go for 2, might as well make it 1 ten man squad with extra goodies). I wouldn't even give it a plasmagun.

Better than 2 spawn, and cheaper too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why would you not buy like 2 or 3 of them and run around instead of one? Put in a plasma gun and use them to support each other. They shoot bolters and plasma and then if one gets charged on your turn the other two pile in and beat them up with a champion thrown in somewhere to blow things up with a powerfist.

Using them alone and unsupported with no wargear is purposless. Everything should have something in mind aside from sit in cover, get outflanked, and die.

3 squads with 3 plasma guns and one with a power fist are only 310 pts. And is a very useful little task force to shove into cover somewhere.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you not buy like 2 or 3 of them and run around instead of one? Put in a plasma gun and use them to support each other. They shoot bolters and plasma and then if one gets charged on your turn the other two pile in and beat them up with a champion thrown in somewhere to blow things up with a powerfist.

Using them alone and unsupported with no wargear is purposless. Everything should have something in mind aside from sit in cover, get outflanked, and die.

3 squads with 3 plasma guns and one with a power fist are only 310 pts. And is a very useful little task force to shove into cover somewhere.
Because one lone, 75 point naked squad is easy to ignore, until turn 6 when your opponent is trying to claim a table quarter, but can't because there's a stupid little 5 man squad hanging out, drinking beers and bragging about Daemonettes, or whatever CSMs do in their spare time.

Why wouldn't I bring 2 or 3 such squads? Because 2 is a 10 man squad, which is a lot more useful than 2 5 man squads. But if you have them footslog, maybe behind some rhinos, when the 10 man squad rushes in, gets bogged down in close-combat, here comes a second charging squad. It's not a basis for an army, it's not even a particularly useful approach, but if you're sitting there with a few extra points - it might be worth considering instead of say - an obliterator (for some lists).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think that concentrating a lot of points of troops onto a smaller amount and overwhelming it with superior firepower and hand to hand ability is one of the best tactics, not only in 40k but in actual military application. A naked 5 man csm squad with no transport is hard to get into position and use. Spending the extra 75 points on another squad and giving it a heavy bolter and a powerfist champion is a lot more useful than having a squad hiding somewhere as an objective grabber.

Another point is using naked squads at all. It's something that I only mentioned in passing that a unit should have some kind of purpose. You could say that the 5 man squads purpose is to grab objectives but it's too fragile to do that.

I really can't see myself making a list with so few scoring units that I would need to shoehorn in a 5 man squad of naked CSM. In my mind thats not something a list should need. Even if you make a foot slogging list or whatever there are better things to spend points on, like adding more to existing units to protect champions or whatever.

·
Pirate Chaos Space Marine
307 Posts
I can think of a reason: Buy them a rhino. In fact, do this for all your 6 troop choices. Then do 3 more units just like it, call them havocs and for just below a thousand points you have 45 marines and 9 rolling coffins. (For the really hardcore version, do it with your chosen as well then you'll have 12 rolling coffins on the board!)
I could do it just to see the look on an opponents face. :)

(Is it possible to cram your HQ in a dedicated rhino?)

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
I have bought 3 of these packages, as i already have enough csm, but needed the standards and stuff for wysiwyg-conversions...
Yeah, they sound a bit like those snap-fit-click-crap boxes GW makes with a few spare models, that's probably where i'd use it for!

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not 100% what came with it - since I keep all my bitz/sprues in one big box (half the fun of the game is digging through your bitz, if you ask me!) But I believe it came with 2 sprues (or one big one broken in half) - with just bolters, bolt pistols, swords, arms, legs, torsos, heads and backpacks. Also, some bases and some of those stick on ensignia things.

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
You could always go on ebay or other websites and buy the old CSM squad boxes for dirt cheap and then use the 5-man box to fill out your CSM squads to make that new 10 man weapon requirement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I made use of it to add more men to my existing CSM squads, as its a pretty cheap easy way to strengthen them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the biggest problem with those boxes is that they're more expensive and you get much less.

$35 for 10 marines+upgrade sprue. $3.5 a marine.

$20 for 5 marines. $4 a marine

5 man squads seem pretty useless to me. I would much rather spend the points on few more raptors/terminators. Or well.... basically anything else.

·
Pirate Chaos Space Marine
307 Posts
I own 7 or 8 of the old boxes with almost all marines painted up, But I need icons, meltaguns and flamers. (and nifty heads... :p)
I've previously asked if the 5-man box come with the special weapon sprue and got a negative answer, but then CridiDeal here say he bought them to get icons, so I was hoping the previous answer was in error...

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, for a little ex post facto justification, I've now decided that I bought the 5 man box because I am going to get a box of regular Space Marines and mix and match parts to build some recent recruits to the Red Corsairs.

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
I think Games Workshop makes that five-man Attack Squad for use as Chosen...that's what I would use it for, at least. Whoever said Havocs was probably right too, 'cause you can just combine it with the actual Havoc squad and get a ten-man squad, if you were that way inclined.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
A generic 5-man squad is a scoring unit and points-effective against most other troop choices but that's all I can think of. Useless against armor, easily outnumbered in CC...you might almost as well use spawn. For the points, I'd rather bring two Rhinos for my throwaway purposes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts