Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I recently resolved myself to collecting a new playable army and since the new Marine Codex has just come out, I figure this is as good a time as any to collect a force of the Emperor's finest. I'm aiming to hit the 500 pt milestone using some solid core troops that I won't regret taking later on. The obvious necessity of getting an HQ and two Troops on the table leads me to these questions:

What is a decent load out for a Captain that won't eat too many points? I'm thinking just a power-sword to start with. Is any of the other wargear a complete necessity? Are, perhaps, hellfire rounds worth the investment?

What weapon options are in the Tactical squad box? I imagine missile launcher and flamer, but what about plasma gun or meltagun? Any of the other heavy weapons?

Speaking of tactical squads, what weapons do you suggest using? Plasma seems like a duh kind of choice, but are flamers or meltaguns worth it?

What do you think about going mechanized early? I know the cost of mechanizing is hard on the wallet but my experience in wargames that being to maneuver is as important as being able to bring ridiculous firepower. If I get a few Rhinos (through the Razorback Boxset, of course. : ) what sorts of considerations should I keep in mind for the Tac-squads that go in them?

·
Registered
172 Posts
A captain with just a powersword is absolutely plenty, cheap and pretty good.

In the tac. squad box you get; missile launcher, meltagun, plasma gun, flamer plus 2 chaisnwords, 2 bolt pistols, and two plasma pistols along with a number of purity seals, banners, pouches, etc. for modifying the look of your guys.

·
991 Posts
and if you take flamers and missile launchers, they are free (if i remember correctly) and that leaves more pts for your sergeants and other squads ect ect so on and henceforth.

EDIT:

Missiles and Flamers are free for Tactical Squads, didnt put that in the first time around
Tactical squads get several options to choose from for FREE weapons as long as you have a full ten-marine squad. The free special is Flamer, the free heavies are missile launcher, heavy bolter, or multi-melta. Melta guns are very cheap and VERY effective.

·
Lord of Shadows
603 Posts
I currently have 4 tac squads kitted out with flamer/missile launcher, or melta/missile launcher. Using the new combat squads rule i split them into two squads of 5 keeping the missile launchers at the back and moving the rest forward to flamer units in cover, or melta vehicles. In general this seems to work a treat.

As for armour, i'd personally say get at least 1 - that way your enemy has to waste time shooting your rhino to get to the men inside. Plus, you can use the rhino as a rolling-wall, tucking your other troops and captain behind it to keep the enemy fire off your captain/etc.

HTH

CR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts