Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, if you are unaware what I'm doing from the modelling thread, I've started a Salamanders company and have started painting so I will posting all the pics up here.

To start off, I was hoping to get a vote on what colours look better.

Left Model
Orkhide Shade basecoat
Snot Green overcoat
Goblin Green highlight
Scorpion Green highlight

Right Model
Orchide Shade basecoat
50/50 Orkhide Shade/Snot Green overcoat
Snot Green highlight
Scorpion Green highlight

I'm looking to find out what colour green looks better. The first model is not completely painted as I was unsure which colour set to go with. PLEASE let me know.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
They both look good, but it comes down to how you see your army. I am currently working on a blood angel army and instead of the usual bright red scheme that they are i went with a darker shade of red to differentiate them from the pack. I would have to say the darker green one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Personally I don't think either of them has enough depth to them. The one on the left doesn't have enough shading, and the one on the right is too pale and colourless.

I think the one on the left would work better, but needs more shading.

My Dark Angels look alot like salamanders before their last wash.
The way I do them is:
Knarloc Green Basecoat
50-50 Snot Green - Scropion Green Basecoat
Thraka Green Wash

The wash will give you the desired shading while still keeping the colour light enough not to be mistaken for DA.

=]

Hope I helped.

·
646 Posts
The left one looks more like a classic Salamander colour, however I prefer the darker one on the right personally, perhaps you could use more extreme highlighting to bring it closer.

One tip I would give you is to water down your highlights a little bit more. You are on the right track with them, but there needs to be some blending between the basecoat and the highlight.

Hope this helps

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
I would go with the left also... The right one seems too Dark Angel-ish... :act-up:

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am currently working on finishing up the Assault Squad, and then onto He'Stan, which im sure everyone is waiting to see now for awhile. No picutres at the moment to update you guys with, but as soon as i'm done, i'll post something. Enjoy the holidays.

·
Eh?
454 Posts
Great work on these assault marines, I think you picked the right shade of green - Salamanders should be a nice and striking.

I also like that you painted the face a real human skin colour! I'm really not a fan of all this new fluff stating that they are actually literally black, so good job for taking the sensible route!

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
I really like the Power Wapon as it is painted and the master crafted storm bolter (If I'm right!)

Overall a very well done job although I would like to see more work done to the feet as well! :act-up:

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hehe, i cant tell ifu were joking but Vulkan has a heavy flamer on his arm not a MC SB. Either way.....the base isnt painted, just the model, as I dont know what colours i want the ground to be

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
hehe, i cant tell ifu were joking but Vulkan has a heavy flamer on his arm not a MC SB.
Oops... I think I have to study the Codex more! :act-up: Anyways the conversion rocks and that is the important!

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh it's nice to be posting an update again.

Thanks DTG and Matus for your comments, its really appreciated.
Oops... I think I have to study the Codex more! :act-up: Anyways the conversion rocks and that is the important!
hehe, the original comment really threw me for a curve. But honnestly, the best is when you play someone and they decide to to attack Vulcan in CC because they think he has a worse invul then the termies, their faces are always priceless

Well it's been a busy time with school back, that i've only really had time to roam the forums during class, lol. Anyways, this week I found acouple hours to sit down and paint up some of my Terminators. Got 2 done, so take a look.

The others should be finished soon, and I'll get a group shot of them with He'Stan

1 - 20 of 86 Posts