Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be playing a tournament everyday during this 3 day event, and saturday i am going to do combat patrol. It has some rather nice rules , but not for eldar.

1 Troop is the only requirement for the force organization chart.

No models with 2+ saves or over 2 wounds. ( so no HQs for me)

No special characters

No armor adding up to over 33 (count side once)

This means for eldar, no HQ units and no wave serpents, prisms, Falcons, or Wrathlords.

Fortunately this also means no lemon ruses, predators, vindicators, iron clad dreadnaughts, Tyrants or carnifexes etc.

I am not determined to put out the hardest most meanest list (if that is even possible with the eldar codex and these limitations)

I have the Friday and Sunday tournament to play hard disgusting lists in.

So now that you have the back ground... I am aiming towards a semi fluffish list.

I am thinking a force of vyper, war walkers and jetbikes?

Of course with a warlock to be "leading the patrol".

What should I arm them with though? Shuriken cannons are a bargain but I will need some EMLs. Would you put them on the Vypers or War walkers?

If you guys think I should head down the foot slogging patrol, I own 12 rangers, 10 guardian defenders, 10 dire avengers, 10 Banshees, and 10 storm guardians with flamers.

Lastly here is a link to the rules: http://www.adepticon.org/10rules/2010cp.pdf

·
1,059 Posts
The bikes walkers vypers set up is rather nice, the worst AV you are likely to face is 12 and more likely it will be 11 from rhinos. Perhaps a couple of missle vypers for higher AV and side armor shots then a few shuriken cannon walkers. keep the bikes small and hope to out dakka the enemy with str 6 shooting from walkers. That would be what I would go for. I would stay away from rangers at that point level they will be a major part of your army and the things they do best against ( MCs ) are not going to be there ( unless it is a necron tomb spider ).

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was thining, Shuriken cannons on the war walkers and Eml on the vypers. Ill have to make up some lists id much rather take Scatter lasers, since no guide. Need more shots!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 Guardian Jetbikes, 1 Shuriken Cannon, 1 Warlock with Embolden

2 Vypers with EMLs

3 War Walkers with 2x Shuriken Cannons each

And what does anyone think?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Apart from the coolness factor of having Vypers I'd say you should go with War Walkers all the way. Although it would force you to end up having them in vehicle squadrons which I don't think is optimal. So I guess it's more a matter of play style and taste than anything else, but the increased speed of the Vyper won't be of much use since you already have a nice range on your weapon (EML). I'd probably aim for EML Walkers and Shuri/Scattry-Vypers, this would make better use of mobility vs range, but again, it's just a suggestion.

I'm also inclined to point out that your jetbike squad will have to avoid battle most of the game, leaving you without 150ish points for a long time, which hurts in a 400 point game. Because even though they are tough compared to other Eldar troops they will go down to lasguns fairly easily, and those pesky lasguns have quite the range on them when stationary, especially on a 4'x4' table. Sadly I don't have any really good things to take other than jetbikes, as all our troops are fragile except the über-expensive Wraithguard troop but I don't think you just want one of those for combat patrol.

My preferred Combat Patrol list is 2 groups of Guardians with EML and 5 War Walkers with dual Shuricannons. It's not optimal because once they start taking shots everything goes down fast, and apart from the EML's the range of my units stink(so they tend to take a lot of shots). I have been thinking about a 2 Vypers 2 Walkers set up with the same infantry, but that wasn't very effective, at least not against the green tide I faced.

I haven't looked at the rules for adepticon, but last time I played Combat Patrol all units were counted as scoring, which is quite nice. Although we only had one scenario with the classic objectives, the rest were all about the killy. If anything can score Vypers are suddenly a very nice choice because on the last turn they can fly across the board and grab objectives. And if more games are about objectives than not the jetbikes also become the superior troop choice because of their speed. If the missions are more focused on killing though I think you are better off with foot slogging DA's as your troops, at least people will have to take a round of shooting to get to them, and a round of DA shooting hurts. But this will be a static list and those rarely are any fun or that effective in the long run.

Sorry, I'm blabbering on about things I'm assuming you have already thought about. Your list looks fine, and if it suits your play style I'd say go with it, there's nothing blatantly wrong with it. Any Eldar list at this size has weaknesses/strengths since you can't really have the units to deal with everything, as long as you are aware of the ones your list has you'll do fine. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Hmmm I would take a squad of pathfinders as your troop choice, since your armor seem to be built to mow down infantry. Plus, being able to cover most of the board from deployment is pretty nifty. Dark Reapers could be used to the same effect, but I believe that you said that you don't have any. Same with Wraithguard. Same with Warp Spiders.

Remember, be very careful with your War Walkers and Fire Prisms. Bolter fire can bring them down!

To be fair, there's nothing in the Eldar list (within the restrictions of the tourney) that Bolter fire wouldn't bring down... damn...

That's really frustrating with the <33 total armor and 2 wounds max. Two wraithlords and a squad of Rangers or Dire Avengers would have walked all over any other 400 point list. Or being able to take a Wave Serpent.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apart from the coolness factor of having Vypers I'd say you should go with War Walkers all the way. Although it would force you to end up having them in vehicle squadrons which I don't think is optimal. So I guess it's more a matter of play style and taste than anything else, but the increased speed of the Vyper won't be of much use since you already have a nice range on your weapon (EML). I'd probably aim for EML Walkers and Shuri/Scattry-Vypers, this would make better use of mobility vs range, but again, it's just a suggestion. I agree, although I do not own that many war walkers because outside of apoc and combat patrol they would never get used. and they are 30$ a pop! If they become fast attack they will be finding a place in my lists all the time. (unless of course falcons get moved to fast attack)

I'm also inclined to point out that your jetbike squad will have to avoid battle most of the game, leaving you without 150ish points for a long time, which hurts in a 400 point game. Because even though they are tough compared to other Eldar troops they will go down to lasguns fairly easily, and those pesky lasguns have quite the range on them when stationary, especially on a 4'x4' table. Sadly I don't have any really good things to take other than jetbikes, as all our troops are fragile except the über-expensive Wraithguard troop but I don't think you just want one of those for combat patrol.That is correct, I will be holding them in reserve to avoid getting fired on every turn of the game. the first turn of the game i plan to turbo boost them either to get in position for a side armor shot, or get onto an objective.

My preferred Combat Patrol list is 2 groups of Guardians with EML and 5 War Walkers with dual Shuricannons. It's not optimal because once they start taking shots everything goes down fast, and apart from the EML's the range of my units stink(so they tend to take a lot of shots). I have been thinking about a 2 Vypers 2 Walkers set up with the same infantry, but that wasn't very effective, at least not against the green tide I faced. This doesnt seem bad at all but my guardian defenders were converted into DA and storm guardians.

I haven't looked at the rules for adepticon, but last time I played Combat Patrol all units were counted as scoring, which is quite nice. Although we only had one scenario with the classic objectives, the rest were all about the killy. If anything can score Vypers are suddenly a very nice choice because on the last turn they can fly across the board and grab objectives. And if more games are about objectives than not the jetbikes also become the superior troop choice because of their speed. If the missions are more focused on killing though I think you are better off with foot slogging DA's as your troops, at least people will have to take a round of shooting to get to them, and a round of DA shooting hurts. But this will be a static list and those rarely are any fun or that effective in the long run. It hasnt said what the scenarios are yet. I assume they will be something like that for objective based games

Sorry, I'm blabbering on about things I'm assuming you have already thought about. Your list looks fine, and if it suits your play style I'd say go with it, there's nothing blatantly wrong with it. Any Eldar list at this size has weaknesses/strengths since you can't really have the units to deal with everything, as long as you are aware of the ones your list has you'll do fine.Merry xmas to you! Good Luck and Merry Christmas!
Hmmm I would take a squad of pathfinders as your troop choice, since your armor seem to be built to mow down infantry. Plus, being able to cover most of the board from deployment is pretty nifty. Dark Reapers could be used to the same effect, but I believe that you said that you don't have any. Same with Wraithguard. Same with Warp Spiders.Pathfinders would take all my points up? Yes it has alot of str 6 shots but it has 2 str 8 EML and with the armor restriction str 8 is good enough for me.

Remember, be very careful with your War Walkers and Fire Prisms. Bolter fire can bring them down!

That's really frustrating with the <33 total armor and 2 wounds max. Two wraithlords and a squad of Rangers or Dire Avengers would have walked all over any other 400 point list. Or being able to take a Wave Serpent.
i def would have took an avatar and a couple wrathlords and prolly 5 DA to hide the game if I coulda took mulitple wound models

·
1,273 Posts
Parthfinders, Walkers, scorpions, artilerry (d-cannons especially comes in mind), dire avengers and spiders.

my 2 cents

also reapers but they seems expensive for 400 pts list.

Combat patrol should be one kind of use of our nice but not regular game competitive artilery. this combined with long range walkers and stalking scorpions can do wonders

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
(d-cannons especially comes in mind)
Much more viable than normal. Because the table is so small, they can cover a large fraction of it.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if i had some D-cannons i would but i would never ever use them again so i dont realy want to purchase them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i would go with:
5 man dire avenger squad
10 man storm guardian squad
5 *girl* banshee squad
and a war walker with either 2 scatter lasers or bright lance

i think this is ruffly 400p

the banshees take out any troops such as marines.
war walker can be anti armour, i find all those scatter lasers are as effective as brightlances, but cheaper and better against troops, so i woud go with that
the storm guardains would work against horde with their flamers and 2 shots each
and dire avengers coz they are cool ;)

thats what i think, its most versitile and should do ok against most things.

·
1,273 Posts
i`ll go

6 man Dire Avenger Exarch Dual Catapults
6 Man Dire avenger Exarch
5 man scorpons exarch scorpion claw
3 x war walkers 2x shuriken cannon each

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
5 *girl* banshee squad
I guess that that is the correct way to refer to them. Sounds strange, though.

And as far as your newest list goes, niraco, I would still be nervous about armor. You don't have anything that is really effective against a Leman Russ hull or a Land Raider hull (both of which, in 500 points, are likely units). Further, the Biting Blade has a usually better chance to damage a tank, certainly as long as it lands at least 2 hits.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I guess that that is the correct way to refer to them. Sounds strange, though.

And as far as your newest list goes, niraco, I would still be nervous about armor. You don't have anything that is really effective against a Leman Russ hull or a Land Raider hull (both of which, in 500 points, are likely units). Further, the Biting Blade has a usually better chance to damage a tank, certainly as long as it lands at least 2 hits.
He won't be facing Russes or Land Raiders, a total AV of 33 is the maximum for combat patrol (front+side+rear). If you are unlucky you could however face 3+ Killa Cans which would stink since they are 11/11/10 and can put out some hurting. But you can't make a list expecting to face the worst either, since inherintly all lists will have weaknesses, it's better just to know them and avoid letting your opponent use them to his advantage rather than try to counter everything. Because, at 400 points, you have to make sacrifices, but the beauty is that since saves and armour are limited you'll have a decent chance at destroying/killing everything.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I've never heard of adepticon and after looking up the different rules, we will be running a patrol tourney soon. I just really like the idea of doing some small themed battles. Plus it will encourage everyone to at least paint a full 400pt patrol, which is always nice. We may even require that all models be painted (there's really no excuse not to).

I do like the above list with 3x Walkers, Dire Avengers, and Scorpions.

Here's mine, 400pts on the nose:

7x Striking Scorpions +1 Exarch w/Biting Blade, Shadow strike, and stalker
5x Pathfinders
2x War Walkers each with EML/Shuriken Cannon

I like the theme of the army and imagine them all stalking through the terrain on a recon mission and run into another patrol. Since they all can infiltrate/scout I think this will just look cool.

I took the EML cause I believe both the Basilisk and Whirlwind are valid under 33 armor and I will need some armor punch.

-John

·
Registered
394 Posts
120 3xwalker w/ 2xshuri
120 3xwalker w/ 2xshuri
80 2xwalker w/ 2xshuri
76 3x jetbikes +shuri

that's 51 s6 shots per turn. ^^
park the jetbikes with 2 out of LoS and the shuri cannon bike sticking out.

going from shuri cannons to scatter lasers for the 1 extra shot is not worth the points tbh. not a table that size.

·
Registered
392 Posts
120 3xwalker w/ 2xshuri
120 3xwalker w/ 2xshuri
80 2xwalker w/ 2xshuri
76 3x jetbikes +shuri

going from shuri cannons to scatter lasers for the 1 extra shot is not worth the points tbh. not a table that size.
Getting the Scatter Laser is never worth it for the extra shot, but it can be worth it for the extra range if you intend on parking the War Walkers in the back rather than outflank/move forward with them.

Oh, and why leave a Shuricannon bike sticking out? He can just move it out to fire then move it back in the assault phase, keeping it out of LOS while still being able to fire. Also, not that many people have 8 War Walkers... Otherwise it's a nice list, I might try something similar some day. Although I'd take 2 groups of 3 Jetbikes and 3 groups of 2 Walkers instead.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
120 3xwalker w/ 2xshuri
120 3xwalker w/ 2xshuri
80 2xwalker w/ 2xshuri
76 3x jetbikes +shuri

I would personally drop the jetbike squad and either take Dire Avengers, a Wraithlord, or a Farseer, losing a War Walker or two if the points costs and cap require it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would personally drop the jetbike squad and either take Dire Avengers, a Wraithlord, or a Farseer, losing a War Walker or two if the points costs and cap require it.
It's required to take at least one Troop choice. And the Wraithlord has too many wounds for Combat Patrol, just like the Farseer. Avengers might be interesting, but It's probably nice to have at least one fast unit in the list, so if he's taking a footslogging infantry unit a Vyper or two might be better than War Walkers just for the increased speed and ability to contest. Although that would depend on the scenarios being played, the basic Combat Patrol scenario isn't objective based, so you might want to look up which scenarios will be played beforehand before deciding.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
It's required to take at least one Troop choice. And the Wraithlord has too many wounds for Combat Patrol, just like the Farseer. Avengers might be interesting, but It's probably nice to have at least one fast unit in the list, so if he's taking a footslogging infantry unit a Vyper or two might be better than War Walkers just for the increased speed and ability to contest. Although that would depend on the scenarios being played, the basic Combat Patrol scenario isn't objective based, so you might want to look up which scenarios will be played beforehand before deciding.
Good points. I'm just worried that he has too many small, weak squads (all of the above have very low toughness/AV), and a DA squad would also be very effective at mopping up spam such as IG, Orks, or 'Nids.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.