Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have 20 normal infantry models from the Cadian Shock Troops, assembled in the following way - two 5 man squads with officer(CCW and laspistol) and grenade launchers and two 5 man squads with officer(CCW and Laspistol) and flamers.
I assembled and painted them and now I am thinking what to buy next. My army is going to be semi static gunline with few mobile elements like chimeras, russes and sentinels. I intend to use the current infantry squads as grenadiers/hardened veterans until I buy more bodies and heavy weapons.
What's the best thing to buy next? I have anough money to get one of the following:

Chimera transport(the store I am buying from has only the variant without infantry)
Another box of guardsmen
Heavy weapons platoon
Two sentinels(normal ones, because Cadian patterns are more expensive)
Leman Russ(if I save money and risk dying from eating only spagetti)

I'm currently leaning towards either more guardsmen or sentinels.

P.S. The doctrines I am going to use are: Cameleoline, Drop troops, Iron Discipline, Grenadiers(still testing it, not sure how I like it), Close order drill.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You should get another box of infantry... 20 men even in a grenaiders army is just not enough (unless you are gona go tank heavy)

I would recommend geting roughly 60 guardsmen to start. This will give you enough flexiblity to run infantry heavy low point games, or Higher point games with grenadiers. If you ever decide to run a non grenadier army, then you already have a good base to run 4 10 man squads with 3 officer squads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds good.
I have to ask, though, what are the heavy weapons that come with a normal sentinel box? Multilaser, heavy flamer, lascannon are there for sure, but does it include an autocannon? Or that's for the cadian pattern box only?

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
might as well by a battleforce, or two if you want an extra leman russ.
one comes with 20 infantry, 3 heavy weapon teams, and a leman russ which will cover several of your needs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am on very limited budget and my current aim is Combat patrol viable force. It seems that I will go after more infantry.

I'd look to the readily available plastics for definite then.

Autocannons are good in CP, as are Heavy Bolters. G/L is cheaper to buy than seperate plasma gunners as it comes in the box anyway - if you search you can probably find some fairly nifty 400pt Infantry Lists that don't use anything exoctic at all.

Also look at e-bay - you can often get boxed sets without the box at around 20% cheaper or more.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am buying from Maelstrom Games - 10% off all things, everything that costs above 10 British pounds has free delivery, which is especially good for me.
OK here's a CP as an example - not for discussion there's a forum for that LOL!

Doctrines
Iron Discipline

Platoon

JO with P/Sword & Iron Discipline, Autocannon
65pts

Squad with Heavy Bolter & Grenade Launcher
78pts

Squad with Heavy Bolter & Grenade Launcher
78pts

Armoured Fist Squad

Veteran Sergeant, Missile Launcher & Grenade Launcher
89pts

Chimera, Multilaser, Hull H/B, Extra Armour
90pts

Total 400pts

For that you'd need

2 x 20 Cadians, 1 x 3 Heavy Weapons, 1 x Chimera

Now the list shows 4 x HW, but you can make the Missile Launcher up as a standing crew from ordinary Infantry figures, ditto the Officer

As to cost Maelstrom looks good - but I'd really check e-bay

for instance

Unboxed Cadian HW x 3 - £14.80 including P&P

Unboxed Cadian Troopers - £14.80 including P&P

Chimera - £17.80 - no unboxed ones - but I have seen those as low as about £15-16

Plastic Offcer Heads - £1.50 (saves buying a metal figure!)

So OK you're still looking at just over £60 - but that would be a rules legal army you could build on.

Unfortunately the downside of the Guard is men & guns and numbers cost!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if its combat patrol conscripts plus commisar =D
I'll first need normal infantry platoon with command section and then conscripts, so that's not an option.
I'd still highly suggest the battleforce. You'll save money in the long run with it. If you have to wait, take the time to paint your minis while you save.
I know it's cheaper than buying all the components separately, but I will have to wait for months.

So, I decided to spend my money on one box of cadians and a sentinel. After that I am going after the battleforce. Thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.