Devilfish transport with SMS, TA, DL, HWMT, 1x Seeker 130pts

Fire Warrior Team 2: 12 Warriors (Shas’Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, Bonded 135pts
Devilfish transport with SMS, TA, DL, HWMT, 1x Seekers 130pts

Kroot Team 3: 10 Kroot 70pts
Kroot Team 4: 10 Kroot 70pts

=Fast Attack=
2 Gun Drone Squads: each 8 Gun Drones strong 96pts per Team

Pathfinder Squad: 7 Pathfinders & one Shas’Ui with Target Lock 141pts
Devilfish (Warilfish) with Burst Cannons, 1x Seeker Missile, Targeting Array, Multi Tracker and Decoys 110pts

=Heavy=
Skyray: Burst Cannons, Targeting Array, Multi Tracker, Distruption Pod and Decoys 160pts

1 x Hammerhead: Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker and Decoys 165pts

XV88 Team Leader with A'S'S, HWTL, HWMT, 95pts
2 x XV88 with A,S,S, 1xSMS, 1x TLPR, 170pts
Team Bonded 5pts

This is the list currently ......Any good?

Is it wise to have in the Elites one Fireknife and one Deathrains Team?????

What would you suggest?????

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
TAU EMPIRE 2494pts​
=HQ=
1 x Shas’El Helios.
Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, TA, HWTL, HWMT 111pts
First of all this suit is not a Helios, a Helios is Plasma and Fusion. Second, I would not bother with the TL, you should never have a commander attached to another squad (apart from the Shas with an XV88 squad and then he should be attached and detached to suit the situation), it leaves him open to being shot as part of the unit. You should be utilising the IC status full time to help him survive

1 x Shas'O with TLMP, PR, Stim Injector, HWMT, HWTL 130points
(Attached with Broadsides)
To expensive and you do not need TLMP on a Shas'O, he is BS5 anyway. You also do not need the Stims. You should be aiming to keep this suit and at range to utilise the MP. If an enemy gets to close you just keep him behind the XV88's and Drones (detach him from the squad) and use his IC status and JSJ to avoid taking wounds.
Just take a plain Plasma and MP with multi tracker and save some points you do not need to spend

=Elites=
Team 1: 3 x XV8 Deathrains
Twin Linked Missile Pods, TA
Team leader has HW Target Lock 169pts

Team 2: 3 x XV8 FireKnife
Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, HWMT, TA
Team Leader has HWTL 206pts
First thing is normal XV8's cannot take HW gear, so you cannot have 3 XV8's in your FK squad with HWMT. You have to have a team leader upgrade minimum to get access to HW gear

Teams of three=bad news, one casualty and your testing for fall back. I always use teams of two. I would advise this set up.

1 X Deathrain team leader with TLMP, TA and TL
1 X Deathrain with TLMP and TA
116pts

1 X Deathrain team leader with TLMP, TA and TL
1 X Deathrain with TLMP and TA
116pts

Or one team of Deathrains and 1FK team as below (me I would go for the Deathrain teams every single time)

1 X Fireknife team leader with MP, PL, TA and HW MT
1 X Fireknife with MP, PL and Multi

Stealth Team
6 Stealths with 6xBurst Cannons, 180pts
Fine

=Troops=
Fire Warrior Team 1: 12 Warriors (Shas’Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, Bonded 135pts
Devilfish transport with SMS, TA, DL, HWMT, 1x Seeker 130pts

Fire Warrior Team 2: 12 Warriors (Shas’Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, Bonded 135pts
Devilfish transport with SMS, TA, DL, HWMT, 1x Seekers 130pts
I never bother with bonding on FW's, it only offers a re-roll not a guarantee of rallying, so I just do not find it worthwhile. You have a Shas'Ui and that should be enough. Good to see no carbines mixed in.

Next lose all the upgrades on the Devilfish apart from the DL's, these are transports and not tanks. The SMS is an expensive waste of points on these as is the HWMT. If your going to do a Warfish it needs a TA, Multi, DL's and SMS and the best place to spend these points is on the Pathfinders Devilfish.
You should never have the PF in the Devilfish, which means it is free to go roaming and act as a tank. The Fire Warriors DF does not have this freedom and you should have enough firepower with markerlight guided FOF with the FW's anyway.
Oh and you should ALWAYS have Decoys on any Devilfish, they are an essential bit of kit. So your Devilfish should cost 85pts each for a total of 205pts for the FW and Devilfish unit.

=Fast Attack=
At least one of the Kroot units needs Hounds, I take 8 and 10 Kroot for a 118pt unit. I would lose a Gundrone squad and take 8 hounds in each unit. However I am going to assume you d not have 16 Hound models, in which case the Kroot look good (no shaper etc) and the Gundrone units are nifty units. Are you going to use a unit to protect your Helios Shas'El?

Devilfish (Warilfish) with Burst Cannons, 1x Seeker Missile, Targeting Array, Multi Tracker and Decoys 110pts
Fine but make the changes to the Devilfish as I advised above. If you want to take Seekers then fine leave 1 on each DF as it helps to preserve them (put two on a DF and it goes down you lose two Seekers)

=Heavy=
Skyray: Burst Cannons, Targeting Array, Multi Tracker, Distruption Pod and Decoys 160pts
Lose the DP, you do not need it

XV88 Team Leader with A'S'S, HWTL, HWMT, 95pts
2 x XV88 with A,S,S, 1xSMS, 1x TLPR, 170pts
Team Bonded 5pts
Very nice Hammerhead, basic and effective. The XV88 squad suffers from the 3 rule, make it a 2 man team, give them both A'S'S, take a team leader upgrade and give it HWMT, HWTL and HW drone controller and take 2 Shield Drones.
This is a much better use for the points than the other XV88, the Drones will offer solid protection. You will have enough anti armour with the HH, Helios HQ, 2 XV88's and the Skyray

So if you take my advice you will have :

=HQ=
1 x Shas’El Helios.
Plasma Rifle, Fusion, TA, HWMT 97pts

1 x Shas'O with MP, PR, MT 112points
(Accompanying Broadsides and not always attached that is important for survival)

=Elites=
Team 1: 2 x XV8 Deathrains
Team leader has HW Target Lock 116pts

Team 1: 2 x XV8 Deathrains
Team leader has HW Target Lock 116pts

Stealth Team

=Troops=
Fire Warrior Team 1: 12 Warriors (Shas’Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, 130pts
Devilfish transport DL , 1 seeker missile 95pts

Fire Warrior Team 1: 12 Warriors (Shas’Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, 130pts
Devilfish transport DL , 1 seeker missile 95pts

=Fast Attack=

Devilfish (Warilfish) with SMS, 1x Seeker Missile, Targeting Array, Multi Tracker and Decoys 130pts

=Heavy=
Skyray: Burst Cannons, Targeting Array, Multi Tracker and Decoys 155pts

XV88 Team Leader with A'S'S, HWTL, HWMT, HWDC and 2 Shield Drones 125pts
XV88 with A,S,S, 1xSMS, 80pts
Team Bonded 5pts

22048pts

You could swap out a Deathrain team if you insist on taking a Fireknife (don't).

I get 2499 pts for your list, so if you make the changes I advise you will have saved 295pts and you will still have just as effective a list. You could take another FW unit and Devilfish and still have 70pts left. With the 70pts I would give each Kroot unit hounds or you could take that third XV88 if you prefer (just lose a FW from the third team to give it A'S'S)

Either way with 295 points it gives you a lot of scope to add to the list.

By the way why are you taking 2499pts is this for an apoc battle? if you are it gives you a lot more scope for units and if your not most players using over 2000pts use two force organisation charts to allow for more variety as it gets hard to spend points when all the heavy, elite slots etc are full.

Hope that gives you some ideas and help, but remember it is only advice and my opinion and I am not saying you SHOULD do the things I advise (though you should ;Y)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, Thank you my friend your advice is well recieved and appreciated. The reason i am looking at a list of 2500pts is that i play with friend and family who have large lists (it makes for long Saving private ryan type games...!!!)

I would like to ask 2 questions.........

1. If you had 295pts left and you were likely to come up against Tyranid, Necron and Marines at 2500pts scale what would you spend those valuable points on? and

2. For fun reasons, we in the future are planning to play large scale games (apoc), I like the idea of having two different armies, i with Tau. What would you recommend would be the best partner for the Tau Army in this case if you had the choice or would you recommend two force organisation charts?

Your advice is very much appreciated..................I thank you in advance.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Just have to say, I disagree with Rikimaru on the case of the Devilfish. The 'Warfish' variant - SMS, Decoy Launchers, Targeting Array, and Multitracker - is one that I make heavy use of, and it performs very well for me. There's nothing in the book that says it can't be a transport and a medium tank. The Seeker missiles can be lost, though, but personally I say go for the Warfish.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmmm... Thats what i sort planned with the Transport, i Thought since they are there they can atleast fire something back and be of use, I may have gone ott with the add ons though, are Warilfish effective with FW's?

I would like to ask 3 questions(now, sorry).........

1. If you had 295pts left and you were likely to come up against Tyranid, Necron and Marines at 2500pts scale what would you spend those valuable points on? and

2. For fun reasons, we in the future are planning to play large scale games (apoc), I like the idea of having two different armies, i with Tau. What would you recommend would be the best partner for the Tau Army in this case if you had the choice or would you recommend two force organisation charts?

3. Everyone who plays Tau state that the Second Hammerhead is more effective than the Skyray due to the weaponary, therefore you recommend i go with the HH in place of the Skyray?

Your advice is very much appreciated..................I thank you in advance.

One thing I wonder about the list is how effective it will be in dealing with TEQs. (Terminator Equivalents) Since, the whole idea behind using the plasma rifle/missile pod combo on a whole bunch of battle suits is that it deals with light vehicles and heavy troops much better than any of the other tau weaponry? So should that Shas'el have the MP rather than the Fusion?

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Hmmm... Thats what i sort planned with the Transport, i Thought since they are there they can atleast fire something back and be of use, I may have gone ott with the add ons though, are Warilfish effective with FW's?

I would like to ask 3 questions(now, sorry).........

Depends on what you are going to do with the force organisation and what sort of armies your opponents use, I/E id the Nid Monstrous creature heavy or full of small Hormie type units, is the Necron player using lots of warriors with resi orbs or Monoliths etc. Marine player is he using lots of armour, assault squads etc.

Well the Tau are the shooty, mobile army but lack assault, so you should go for something to offer a balanced offense and something that offers good defence. I would go for a Nid assault army with some shooty aspects, or something like a Blood angel army. It would be a good balance with the Tau providing the firepower and mobility and the other army running down the field to put pressure on the opponent.

3. Everyone who plays Tau state that the Second Hammerhead is more effective than the Skyray due to the weaponary, therefore you recommend i go with the HH in place of the Skyray?
No every Tau player does not say that, the Skyray is an awesome bit of kit and I have used one since the new codex came out and have nothing but praise for it. Weaponry is not the be all and end all of a unit, the Skyray is not badly equipped with STR8 Seekers and the Markerlights being mobile actually make other units more effective (I use my Skyray to actually boost my HH's performance with Subs). I actually use the same selection of heavy you do (HH, Skyray and XV88 unit with attached Shas) and I have never struggled with it. In fact I do better than when I used two Hammerheads (and I love Hammerheads).

One thing I wonder about the list is how effective it will be in dealing with TEQs. (Terminator Equivalents) Since, the whole idea behind using the plasma rifle/missile pod combo on a whole bunch of battle suits is that it deals with light vehicles and heavy troops much better than any of the other tau weaponry? So should that Shas'el have the MP rather than the Fusion?
Terminators and their equivs are never that much of a threat and I fond massed small arms fire much better than Plasma at dealing with them (especially with Marker light support). That said my main Termie killer, MC killer and effective transport killier is my Shas'El Helios with Drone squad support and protection. BS5, AP1/AP2 weaponry is awesome at hurting 5 man Termie squads. You have enough with the Deathrains to deal with light vehicles if the Shas'El is needed to deal with termies.
Missile pods are not great at taking down Termies due to lack of volume of shots and lack of AP (2+ armour saves are hard to beat unless you have volume of fire to compensate)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So those extra 295 pts would i be advised to take an Extra team of FW with Devilfish and a 3rd XV-88. Or anything else bearing in mind the following.

The Tyranid player i am likely to play has 5 Carnifexs with a foot slogging and winged Tyrant with 30 Steelers and about 30 Hormagaunts (A hybrid army with Zilla centre and Steeler shock flank) with a few Ravener, Zoans and spinegaunts,

The Necron players has a night(something or another) Ctan with alot of warriors, Immortals, destroyers and 2/3 Heavy destroyers with a monolith. usually playing Phalanx.

The Eldar player has Eldrad quarterbacking with dooming, fortuning, Guiding units and is usually with the falcon(1) (transporting fire dragons) and prisms(2) moving across the field, there is the Avatar of Khaine which is used for counter assaulting and is fortuned and used as a base for the Dires and also where the harlies hind behind. This army also has jetbikes used as a 'push me pull me' tactic, there are also spears (8), spiders(5) and hawks(6).

The marine player standard, i.e vehicle lots of assaulting units and terminators thats all i know.

Its a pretty formidable line up the table will be large with trees etc.

Which should i fear the most looking at the set up? and what can i bring in extra to deal with these threats?

To be honest the Eldar line up looks very mobile, the tyranid steeler shock flankers also look speedy particulalry since the hormagants are in front of the steelers!!. The phanlax of the necron i have not come across?

Also with the Helios carrying a fusion rather than MP, would i not be at risk of being charged?

·
Registered
278 Posts
You seem to be rather new to 40k and you have 3 threads floating about in one area. The annoying thing is whenever someone answers one of your questions you reply with three more!

On the flip side I like that you are doing your homework, which makes you seem to be a serious gamer, again, something I admire and worth replying too. I suggest going to Advanced Tau Tactica :: If you go here and hit the SEARCH button and READ or visit the ATT Academy or the MT Guide your questions will be answered.

My other suggestion is for you to start out smaller. 2500pts is ludicrous if you are a green horn. Most likely people are going to tell you buy this buy that and then they are going to say, “Nice list man! That looks exactly like mine!” or they will say, "FW's = Ponzor! MaX oUt AlL TrOoP sLoTs WiTh Fw’S FTW!" Just take it easy and see what you like and don’t like, before blowing a thousand dollars on unit X.

After you get a few games under your belt, understand the meta game, and how certain units work with others unzip that change purse and whip out that Benjamin Franklin and spend spend spend!

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
You seem to be rather new to 40k and you have 3 threads floating about in one area. The annoying thing is whenever someone answers one of your questions you reply with three more!
Is that not the point of the forum, to ask questions.

On the flip side I like that you are doing your homework, which makes you seem to be a serious gamer, again, something I admire and worth replying too. I suggest going to Advanced Tau Tactica :: If you go here and hit the SEARCH button and READ or visit the ATT Academy or the MT Guide your questions will be answered.
ATT is a good resource, but Librarium is just as good if not better, ATT seems to be turning into a modeling and conversion site at the moment. Just try the search function here and read the tactica's and you will do just as well.

My other suggestion is for you to start out smaller. 2500pts is ludicrous if you are a green horn. Most likely people are going to tell you buy this buy that and then they are going to say, “Nice list man! That looks exactly like mine!” or they will say, "FW's = Ponzor! MaX oUt AlL TrOoP sLoTs WiTh Fw’S FTW!" Just take it easy and see what you like and don’t like, before blowing a thousand dollars on unit X.
Why is 2500pts ludicrous, he already said he plays large games in a group of family and friends, I started playing at 2000pts and hardly ever have played or play 500pt/1000pt games. I do not think anyone would simply offer advice to build a list exactly like their own, preferences come into advice obviously, but the person asking for the advice will only take what he/she finds useful and attractive to his play style.

After you get a few games under your belt, understand the meta game, and how certain units work with others unzip that change purse and whip out that Benjamin Franklin and spend spend spend!
I think this fella has the most of the models already and he has stated he is going to play the bigger games, so lets just offer him the advice he is going to find useful eh.
I think your assuming an awful lot and offering advice on those assumptions, not the best way to do it really.

Anyway to the opponents.

Nids: if he has lots of Stealers then Hammerheads are your friends, if your going to use large armies you need to be using two force organisation charts. This will mean you can flesh the army out more.
I would advise taking two Railgun Hammerheads and use the Skyray to boost the BS of both, use the Submunnition rounds on the stealer units. Stealers are 4+ save max so the subs hitting and wounding on 2+ with no save will devastate them.
I would advise taking Kroot hounds in the two units (proxy models if you have to) as these will really pay dividends in intercepting Hormies and Stealers, they may well die but they will hold up units and do damage in return and more importantly allow other units to move away.
XV88's are your friend when it comes to Carnies and the Deathrains are good against Warriors and the winged Tyrant.
Use FOF against Warriors, Stealers and Hormies and use the Gun Drones to flank and even deep strike behind the Nid lines.
All the above helps but the first thing you should be doing is taking out Synapse creatures, the Carnies are slow so ignore them for the first few turns and concentrate on the Tyrants and any other Synapse creatures. Taking these out is key to stopping Nids, you can always target monstrous creatures so do so. The winged Tyrant is especially vulnerable as it cannot take ext carapice so hit it with Deathrains, use the XV88's and Shas'O to kill the walking Tyrant and then hit the Zoans. When these have gone the Hormies are basically useless and then you can turn your attention to the Stealers.
If the Stealers have scuttle you need to use the Skimmers as walls and use the Kroot as assault screens. Make sure you move the FW to advantages positions quickly and make sure your Hammerheads do not get caught by a Stealer assault, Stealers WILL kill skimmers.

Necrons. Unfortunately I am not overly experienced against these (lack of opponents locally), however phase out is the key, the Nightbringer is slow and can be avoided, do not waste shots trying to kill it. The Monolith should fall very quickly to the railguns and Seekers, so take it down quick. This will stop the Warriors using it to port around the field.
The Destroyers can be lethal to your armour but are vulnerable to Deathrains and railguns, I would also use the FW FOF against these, as massed small arms fire can be effective (use the Marker lights to up the BS). Does the Necron player use a Resi orb? because this can make it tough especially if he fields the lord surrounded by Warriors.
I tend to try to eliminate a unit at a time if possible and go for phase out, unfortunately we have nothing that allows us to target the lord with certainty. I would advise taking down the Monolith and the destroyers first and then using your superior mobility to hit and run and wage a war of attrition against the warriors.
Also always keep in mind that any Necron can destroy your vehicles with Gauss weapons, so be careful when you move the vehicles.

Eldar is probably the tough nut to crack. I would advise using the XV88's and Seekers to down the Falcon and Prisms. The Avatar can be avoided until later. Use the Hammerheads subs rounds to kill the basic squads. The bikes are a nuisance but I find chasing them down with the FW's works well and later on using the Deathrains and FK's helps.
Use the Kroot to infiltrate and force the Eldar player to fight on two fronts, try to pressure Eldrad with them(even assault him because as long as he is tied up he is not helping the army).
Eldar have a couple of weaknesses, short ranged weaponry for troops as a rule and below par armour saves, so use the superior range of your weaponry and try to eliminate whole units where possible.
The Harlies can be a nuisance as the spotting distance rule is a pain, try FOF with them because if they fail the spotting they at least have the protection of the Devilfish and may get lucky next turn. Kroot can be useful again, they will lose combat with Harlies but should do considerable damage in return. Also use the Drone squads if needed as these are Ok at assaults if your desperate.
Just target the Falcon and Prisma first and then concentrate fire on the foot slogging units, try to get something (Kroot, Drones) to shoot and/or assault Eldred to try to either kill or nullify him. Leave the Avatar till later and try to prevent the Harlies from moving close (again Kroot, Drones and FOF) and you should not go far wrong. Watch out for turbo boosting bikes and remember Eldar bikes can move in the assault phase (as this often catches out players).

Marine player, well use your mobility, Kroot to stop the assault squads, target any transports quickly to slow the army down. Termies are not a major worry, even if they Deep strike you should have more than enough to wipe them of the board. Just make sure you know exactly what he has because stuff like fear of darkness can really screw up your game plan.
Use the Kroot to infiltrate and the Stealth squad to pressure his army from two fronts and use the mobility, accuracy from Marker light boosts and superior range to whittle his units down. Make sure you keep at least one unit of Kroot reasonably central (between your lines and the opponents) and a unit of FW in a DF close by. This allows you to respond quickly to any unit that threatens your lines.

As for the 295 pts. I would go for another Hammerhead (165pts as per your other) and take either another Deathrain team (116pts) or 12 FW's with a Shas'Ui 130pts. Use the FW to provide protection for the XV88 unit and they will form a solid firebase.
If you take the other Deathrain squad they will really add some considerable punch (but again you need to use two force org charts to allow you to take more than 3 elite slots). I would go for the Hammerhead and Deathrains.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally Posted by rikimaru
Is that not the point of the forum, to ask questions.
Three threads by the same member all within close proximity to each other asking the same relative thing settled at the top seems to be pushing the envelope imo. It is just bad forum etiquette, because it shoves other threads down and makes posting into a quantity race.

ATT is a good resource, but Librarium is just as good if not better…
Each to his own.

ATT seems to be turning into a modeling and conversion site at the moment.
Agreed

Ludicrous...Ack! I meant Lunacies. I read my post twice before I posted it, but I guess I need to read it three times.

I think your assuming an awful lot and offering advice on those assumptions, not the best way to do it really.
True, but when someone doesn’t even take the time to add any information on their initial post it is hard not too.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Three threads by the same member all within close proximity to each other asking the same relative thing settled at the top seems to be pushing the envelope imo. It is just bad forum etiquette, because it shoves other threads down and makes posting into a quantity race.
Well one thread was asking about HQ posted on the 14th Feb and this is a thread about a finalised list, so he posted a thread about the HQ, went away digested the info and devised his 2500pt list and then posted it asking for advice about how to finalise it. True we could probably have done without the other 2000pt list but the dude only has 84 posts to his name, so he is a relative newcomer.
I stand by my point that this is a forum meant for asking questions and seeking advice, what exactly do you think it is?

Each to his own.
ATT is a good resource, though in advice and player knowledge terms it is no more superior than Librarium. I am not knocking ATT I think it has some worthwhile content and it is on par with Librarium and other note worthy Tau forums but it is no better or worse (though I will say Librarium and LO are friendlier and more tolerant). Are you implying that you think Librarium is inferior (seems to me thats what your implying), if so why?

Agreed

Ludicrous...Ack! I meant Lunacies. I read my post twice before I posted it, but I guess I need to read it three times.
Not sure what this bit of rambling is supposed to be saying, but ATT while still a good resource for the Tau player has just lately seemed to turn into a modeling and conversion forum. Every time I check out the latest posts all I see is masses of painting, modeling or WIP posts. Just an observation.

True, but when someone doesn’t even take the time to add any information on their initial post it is hard not too.
What do you mean like the lists of opponents he is facing and models included in each list, or the fact that he mentioned about using two armies in APOC, or the fact of the additional info about the table they use, or the fact that he will be facing Termies. Nah nothing additional there.
We also have the fact that he is asking further questions which expand on the advice he has received, basically he is taking the info and then asking further questions which have arisen from this info.
Not really sure what you expect from the dude, he is doing nothing different to anyone else apart from taking the time to ask further questions and that is what we are here for is it not, to answer those questions and not just post frankly non contributory posts like the two you have graced this thread with.
I would say that if you have a problem with the fellas posts then PM the mods and let them handle it, but your not a mod so berating the dude for asking questions or his starting of three (gasp three) threads is a bit rich really.

Anyway lets get back to helping the fella with his list, what say you

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you Rikimaru (Rep Power to you) for your support, kind words and advice. I agree with everything you have said.

I thought the reason for forums was to help us non tournament players. I do not play competitions and have no intention to, since i am not skilled enough as most members of this forum are.

Members like us who enjoy playing against friends and family are still competative we still like to win and have fun, but are not skilled as members who participate in competitions.

These members have developed valuable skills (over time) in creating army lists that are competative in tournaments, but for us mortals these leanrt skills and experiences helps us to improve our list making play more fun and challenging.

For example with the valued input from Rikimaru, my list is resembling that of a competative tournament list which has opened my eyes to different aspects of the army i was not aware of before, Surely that is what a forum is all about, to trade knowledge amongest skilled members (in order to help each other) and to help further adhance less skilled members so that they can enjoy the best of each army they play.

I have played Tyranids and IG at 2500pts it was fun, but enjoyed the tactical aspects of Tau and Eldar armies. So what have i learned..........Well this forum and by me analysing the codex....... has shown me the following......

=HQ=
1 x Shas’El Helios

I have learned that i can use the Helios primarily as a transport hunter and tough unit killer (termies,Oblits etc) i can use the drone squad to protect and add fire support, hoping they can pin units.

With the drone squad and the Shas'EL i can use the circular drone tactic to shield the Shas'EL

1 x Shas'O
I can attach with Broadsides, but can also detach and become IC.

=Elites=
Team 1: 3 x XV8 Deathrains

Team 2: 3 x XV8 Deathrains
I can use these units to hit from distance without being hit

Stealth Team
I can infiltrate or if i wanted, take two units and go one on each flank to slow faster units down.

=Troops=
Fire Warrior Team 1 & 2: 12 Warriors (Shas’Ui upgrade) with Devilfish transport
I can not only transport these units, but now, i can use them atleast to shoot back. Since if the transport is in the army list then they should provide some shooting as well; plus i can use the drones from the Devilfish as a screen against assaults and forcing target priority tests.

I can now better use these, since i think these are better than FW, they are more versatile and can shoot, assault and infiltrate.

The Kroot and Stealths can also infiltrate to get into good position to spring and close traps on units moving into the no mans land between lines, tempted by the big juicy XV88/stealth unit.

I could use a unit of 10-20 Kroot with FW to be set up just in front of the XV88's. Giving me greater options.

=Fast Attack=
I can now use the Drones not only for supporting the Helios, I can alsodeep strike to draw units like chaos that have to attack the nearest unit, they can set up cross fires, support the Kroot, Stealth and FW squads, they can even hide and take contest table quarters and objectives etc.

Pathfinder Squad: 7 Pathfinders & one Shas’Ui & Devilfish (Warilfish)
I can now drop the unit and then go hunting instead of just waiting around redundantly, this has given me greater options.

=Heavy=
Skyray
I can now use the Pathfinder squad to up the BS of the drones and the FW squad, I could now use the Skyray to aid the Hammerhead and XV88 unit.

Therefore Hammerhead and Skyray will provide anti infantry the Skyray also has six seekers again giving me greater options.

XV88 Team Leader with 2 x XV88
My main armour destroyer.

Of Course Tourney players already know this and can better utilise it, but by gum we non experienced players will have a bloody good time trying to make it work!.

So this forum by helping me and other non competative serious players will opened our eyes to different aspects of an army that we would not have been aware of.

The advice that we get from the forum as regards the list and its content is invaluable, it helps us fine tune the army list, We can then go away to look at the list in detail, read the codex in detail and try and understand how to use the list effectively, by doing this we improve and have greater enjoyment of this fantastic game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.