Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Sons of Chaos

I have just gotten my New Codex, and I was wondering if you all have any suggestions on the Best way to take out TAU, I have 1500 pts to build my Army with, I play Word Bearers.[/i]

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Against Tau I guess you'll need a mix of long-range firepower as well as fast assault units. I'd suggest one or two 10-man squads in rhinos as troops, maybe some bikes or raptors, and some Furies as these seem quite effective for their low points cost. For the shooting, a havoc squad with 4 heavy bolters, or a mix of heavy bolters and autocannons should work well. Some Chosen in terminator armour with Reaper cannons should also be useful. You could also use some Obliterators, but they're kind of expensive pointswise, then again they're effective against any kind of opponent so they're probably a good investment.
I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Good choice, I would say...

I don't quite see others opinion on Obliterators, they are just the most extreme firepower you can get. The old codex stated that only one Obliterator could be armed with a specific weapon. As I see it in the new codex, they may all be armed with the same weapon.

One more thing on fighting Tau... tanks are bad m'kay...
As I see it Tau has som pretty powerful firepower at their disposal, and they would kill off your tanks pretty quicly, so If you decide to use them, guard them well, m'kay?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Beating Tau

I play a Tau army. Farsight enclave.
The best way to beat this army is get in close combat as fast as possible.
Most Tau players use some type of drone, so you may have to flank them,and watch for kroot units if they have them. Try to use some type of ordanance weapon if possible. An ordanance weapon template cannot be moved once placed and most Tau unit leaders will have a pulse gun with marker lights. So barrage weapons to pin, then close assault.
I also play Blood Angels, and a chaplain with a Death Company + jump paks, and a unit of elite assault troops will wreak havoc with the Tau!
Hope this helps.
"Every day above ground is a good day"

·
Registered
8 Posts
A few ways to play the Tau:
1) you can try to out gun 'em...this usully doesn't work so well, unless you play Guard or something...I'm not even sure the IWs could do it
2) you can play "Rush to the mark"- picke a point in the line, and rush as many fast assault units as you can muster at it...as an option, you can also play a few slower units along the flanks, and if they decide to direct all their fire at you rushers, the flankers might make it
3) slow and steady- good for Nurgle, and Obliterators and Drenoughts...take many units that can methodically advance and lay down fire, and then hold in assault...a Havoc squad with assault weapons (plasma is ideal) would also work nicely, and Death Guard do this very well
4) two-stage assault- basically, a combination of "Rush to the Mark" and "Slow and Steady"...hit 'em hard with fast units on the flanks, and send your more methodical advance up the center...perhaps some cannon fodder troops (Nurglings, Cultists if you can, or just a tac squad) to absorb casualties, if you can

·
Registered
377 Posts
Amongst all this advice I would hasten to remind you that building your army to fight one single other army is a very bad idea. You need to make sure you have an army that can hold it's own against most others. Even if you're only likely to be playing against Tau in the near future, a new player might move into the neighbourhood, or you might want to go to a tournie.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Absolutely!

You will only suffer downsides if you make your army specifically against an army.

You got have other possibilities.
Eg. Don't always play with bolter5 armed CSM, also try with an assauting army...

But one thing should never be put out... always... I say always bring Oblitherators... in the long run they will be such a pest to the enemy that he will at all costs try to take them out...

Ouch! gotta go...

Skål!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Granted much of this game is preparation and unit selection, but I have to agree with Odd Bloke, design an army that can take all comers. Have a reserve of a few units to swap out against certain armies (say the Tau), but build up a core force that is static. I find it much more of a challenge to build an army that can take on everything, rather than be just tailored to fight a single type of foe (something I am STILL working on).

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Agree with that, but you can't go far wrong with most units. Obliterators are always good, as are Terminators with a few Reaper Cannons and maybe a heavy flamer. For fast assault units bikes are great against everyone, I think they're some of the most effective units you can have. And personally I like to take heavy bolters in my Troops squads, it's only 5 points but great against armies with moderate toughness and saves. And of course you'll only fire at stuff that can be hurt by bolters as well so the bolter shots don't go to waste. Another fairly good unit is a dreadnought. They get destroyed very easily but they aren't too expensive pointswise, mine is 113, it has extra armour, smoke, and a twin heavy bolter. I'm not going to give it any extras yet, though perhaps a Mutated hull is usefull, it'll severely reduce the effectiveness of plasma and autocannons (IMO the biggest threat to dreads, as the bigger guns are pointed at your tanks).

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's what I mean ...

You should always have something in your army that your opponent that your opponent almost magically is putting his firepower at.

And yes BorninDarkness, I have to agree on the dreadnought... they do draw fire, but then again, it's not always that you want to sacrifice the dreadnought. But hey, that's up to you...
As long as you get your opponent scared stiff by some part of your army, it's ok :twisted:

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
That's another interesting thing: the fear factor. It's great if your opponent is scared by one vehicle or unit, he'll shoot everything he has at it while your other (more important units) shoot him to bits or rush forward to assault him. My Vindicator should be great at this, for 150 points I get a S10 AP2 Ordnance weapon mounted on a tank with front armour 14. That's going to soak up a lot of lascannons that would've fired at my more important tanks (predator with lascannons, land raider) or my Obliterators for instance. He'll regret shooting at it soon enough :twisted: .

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ahhh but with Tau I can seperate my fire of the broadsides and not only target your vindicator but also your rhinos. 4+ and a reroll to hit is not bad with a str 10 weapon. Then if that doesnt do it my hammerhead comes in to mop up and if that doesnt do it my other hammerhead with the ion cannon will target those other rhinos missed before. So many guns not enough to shoot at.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just get a couple of defilers, then you can shoot at them without them being able to shoot at you. BTW, I think the defiler pushes Chaos way past the threshold of being broken. Hell, marines get crap characters, no vet skills, no daemons, no obliterators, weak psychic powers, and lame vehicle upgrades already. The only thing we had over chaos was plasma cannons (granted...they are nasty), landspeeders and the whirlwind. Now not only does chaos get a guess range weapon, it's on a walker and it has a freakin' battlecannon. Now I wanna be bad!

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I like the Defiler concept, but I think it should be a 0-1 choice. I think it's pretty balanced though, because it has some cool abilities but the only reason to take it is the battlecannon, and for that you pay 150 pts, and it's mounted on a vehicle with AV12 (one can make it 13 but this raises pts cost by 30). Now that I've seen clear pics of the model I doubt I'd give it indirect fire, as the thing is so freakin huge there's no way you can hide it behind something to block LoS! If one does take it it raises pts cost by 25, which makes it pretty expensive at 175 pts (that's without any other upgrades). As I play IW the basilisk is a much better deal: for a mere 125 pts I get a gun with longer range, indirect fire, higher S, lower AP, and it can be placed out of LoS fairly easily.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.