Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, basically I'm a long time 40k player who finally splashed out and bought a fantasy army. I bought the orc and goblin army set and an additional orc regiment and 2 goblin regiments. However the order messed up and I havent recieved my army book and even if I did I am very shakey on the fantasy rules (having only played 3 battles, 2 of them on older rule versions) but I am itching to start modelling but don't want to make my army useless.

I have:
1 Orc Warboss on foot
Im tempted to mount this guy in my chariot, especially as my housemate has a high elf army and a chariot charge should be a heavy blow against them.

1 Mounted Orc Warboss,
I am thinking about having him as the black orc lord choice, not too concerned about the heroes tho as I will be assembling infantry first and should have my army book by the time I get to these 2 models

40 Night Goblins,
I like the idea of just 1 large squad to combat their fear of elves by outnumbering them 2to1.
As for wargear am I right that shield and spear is my best bet?

20 Black Orcs
Well main decision is great weapons, or 2 weapons with shield... unless there are better options I don't know

40 Orc Warriors
Think 2 squads of 20 models, but should I get extra choppas, shield and choppa (am I right that the choppa negates the shields bonus?) any other ideas?

1 Orc Boar Chariot,
Not too fussed about what to do with this unless I mount my warlord on there

10 Goblin spider Riders
no idea what to with these :(

40 goblins
Shield and spear?

Well any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, basically I'm a long time 40k player who finally splashed out and bought a fantasy army. I bought the orc and goblin army set and an additional orc regiment and 2 goblin regiments. However the order messed up and I havent recieved my army book and even if I did I am very shakey on the fantasy rules (having only played 3 battles, 2 of them on older rule versions) but I am itching to start modelling but don't want to make my army useless.

I have:
1 Orc Warboss on foot
Im tempted to mount this guy in my chariot, especially as my housemate has a high elf army and a chariot charge should be a heavy blow against them.

Up him to a Black Ork Warboss for even better leadership and attacks. Also handy for getting rid of animosity in whatever unit you throw him in. In a chariot, he will be deadly as well, but it limits his potential.

1 Mounted Orc Warboss,
I am thinking about having him as the black orc lord choice, not too concerned about the heroes tho as I will be assembling infantry first and should have my army book by the time I get to these 2 models

Don't see anything wrong with this guy - like I said before - Borcs rock :party2: Just make sure to give him some nice magic items to complement him.

40 Night Goblins,
I like the idea of just 1 large squad to combat their fear of elves by outnumbering them 2to1.
As for wargear am I right that shield and spear is my best bet?

With your primary opponent playing elves, the single block might be a good idea, but as long as you keep them within 12" of your general, a fear test wouldn't be so bad. Shield and spear is good, give them nets to be extra effective.
Oh, and one more thing - FANATICS!FANATICS!FANATICS!

20 Black Orcs
Well main decision is great weapons, or 2 weapons with shield... unless there are better options I don't know

Since you don't have the rulebook yet, you don't know the awesomeness that is Black Orcs - they have this nifty little thing called "Armed to da teef" pretty much gives them whatever type of weapon you want without having to pay for it. PLUS you can switch each round ("OK, I want them to switch from 1 choppa and shield to 2 1 handers")
Also, give em a nice magic banner to scare your opponent even more. Try Mork's Spirit Banner against a magic-heavy army.

40 Orc Warriors
Think 2 squads of 20 models, but should I get extra choppas, shield and choppa (am I right that the choppa negates the shields bonus?) any other ideas?

It's a matter of personal preference on this one. Would you rather go in, guns blazing, all guts no glory style, or defensive wait-and-see? I like the 2 choppas myself - the +1 bonus to strength means you're getting 10 attacks at WS3 ST4 (and one at WS5 ST5 with a champion) - even if you don't get the charge. Nothing to scoff at.

1 Orc Boar Chariot,
Not too fussed about what to do with this unless I mount my warlord on there

Solid choice, nothing to add here.

10 Goblin spider Riders
no idea what to with these :(

These guys are great flankers....I'd give them some long range to help while they wait for the opportunity to charge.

40 goblins
Shield and spear?

and nets and FANATICS!FANATICS!FANATICS!

Well any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think the only thing that you could add are perhaps some Shaman orc or goblin. this should give you some magic defence as High Elfs tend to be a bit heavy on thier magic sometimes otherwise you can start knockinghim about with Waaagh power until he gets magic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to WFB and to O&G, you made a good choice ;Y.
You have a pretty solid amount of troops here. The big mistake that many O&G players have is that they see all the insanely cool special/rare units, and end up with less troops than the enemy, thus giving up one of the biggest advantages you have. I agree with the advice that Eronamanthius and khazad varn gave. A magic user or 2 would be good for magic offense/defense. The last group of 40 goblins that you listed, are they Night Goblins, or regular? If they are regular, they can't take nets or fanatics. The problem with mounting your general in a chariot, is that your army will probably be out of range of his leadership giving range. This is especially bad for O&G, with their relatively low LD. It's a personal choice, but I keep my general on foot, in range of all the foot troops. If you really wanted, you could always mount a Big Boss in the chariot. For the Orcs, I use one unit with 2 choppas, and one with choppa + shield. As for expanding, as stated earlier, a shaman would be nice, along with the amazing spear chukkas. At 35 points, and the option to take 2 as a single special choice, even with goblin low BS they will be hard pressed not to kill their worth. Gl on your games.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I second what xadrian stated. Spear Chukkas are great for their points cost and also being able to take for one special slot. If you do get one or two try to put them on the flank of the battle field so they will hopefully be in the flank arc of his units.

Welcome to Orcs and Goblins :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.