Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking on a force of Tyranids and am taking a Grand Master to deal with the Hive Tyrants and other MC's.

The question I would like advice on is;

1. Should the GM operate as an independant character (i.e. without a Terminator retinue)
2. If so, should he deep strike?

My force has no transport for the GM, nor does it conatain any teleport homers. It is pure Grey Knight as my next tournament forbids allying the force with Witch Hunters, which are my usual allies (and as a purist I cannot field other menial serfs - guard, stormtroopers etc).

I also field 2 Dreadnoughts with TLLC and ML, 21 PAGK, 14 as troops, 7 as fast attack (1 with an incinerator), an Inquisitor with psycannon + a retinue with 2 x HB, Plasma Cannon and 2 x Sages.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I am taking on a force of Tyranids and am taking a Grand Master to deal with the Hive Tyrants and other MC's.

The question I would like advice on is;

1. Should the GM operate as an independant character (i.e. without a Terminator retinue)
2. If so, should he deep strike?

My force has no transport for the GM, nor does it conatain any teleport homers. It is pure Grey Knight as my next tournament forbids allying the force with Witch Hunters, which are my usual allies (and as a purist I cannot field other menial serfs - guard, stormtroopers etc).
Well, as for the first question, I'd say no. Tyranids seem to be able to get into combat with darn near whomever they want, so I'd want the backup to ensure that the GM doesn't get swamped by the little bugs, or worse yet 'stealers. I've found that Holocaust can be absurdly devastating against crowds of 'nids if you do get swamped, so that's something to consider on the GM. Note that you could also run the GM with a troop or fast attack squad, as another alternative (though you won't be able to DS with them, in all likelyhood).

For the second question, I'd say it depends on the 'nids you're fighting. If they've got a shooty setup (like a Sniperfex), you'll probably be forced to deep strike if you want a crack at them. If they're like my friend who plays 'nids and they've gone for an assaulty setup, they'll most likely be eager to hit your lines. In this case your only job would be to intercept them with the GM, so I probably wouldn't deep strike in this case. You can make that decision when you see your opponent's setup.

Well, hope that's somewhat helpful, and good hunting!

-H

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Being a Senior Tyranid Player...:D I know that You should use your GM with Termies. Either way, assualt based or shooty based, He will try to get to you as soon as possible with almost everything. Thus, Termies with Psycannons would rip through any Hive Tyrants and a bunch of stormbolter goodness can take out most. Use any Fast attack GK to get to his beasties because they can harm you a lot. Try to not assualt any geenstealers and only worry about the big things. Even out your shots among the little guys as much as possible because many squads of four is not as effective as three big squads of 10 and two squads dead. I think your list seemes great against Tyranids, but what do I know you need to find out for yourself.

I should not chose any side to this battle because I love both armies...but stillGO Grey Knights!!!:party:

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
There's no secret to beating Tyranids with Grey Knights:

Just take a lot of Grey Knights. Lots and lots of them. BC, GM, ... it doesn't really matter all that much because you don't really ever want to be in assault.

It's a fairly dull game, actually. Start as close to them as you dare, and backpedal around the board -- doesn't really matter what direction, just so long as its away from rending -- firing stormbolters the whole way. Back into cover, wait for the inevitable assault -- from units that should be heavily thinned down by then -- and finish them off with NFWs. Then it's your turn again... rinse, lather, repeat.

Don't deep strike anything. You need all your models on the board at all times to maximize the hurt you put on them.

I don't believe in incinerators because those weapons essentially commit you to an assault, and you almost never want to assault 'nids, not even teeny little gaunts. Any turn you are not shooting is a turn the 'nids are beating you. You never, ever want an assault to carry over past the turn in which the bugs come at you. When it's your turn again, you want to be free to continue scooting and shooting.

First priority are flyrants, followed by 'stealers, followed by anything else that's fast, and finally footslogging tyrants and carnifexes. Always focus fire on a single unit until it is entirely eliminated. For flyrants, it's nice to not have to spend shots from multiple GK units to get wounds. Use your dreadnoughts for that. Having two AC/DCCW dreads who act as nothing more than ginormous, firing-retreating GKs would be recommended. A third should be TLLC/ML for reliable wounds on Tyrant Guards, unguarded Tyrants, and Carnifexes. The AC/DCCW dreads in particular are tasked with taking on the fast Tyrants. Get some rending hits on those big bugs, and be prepared to shield your GKs from the Tyrant assaults with them. GKs can handle carnifexes fine, but against Tyrants -- even in combat with a GM -- they need to have a dread on hand as a sacrifice in order to win such an assault.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Just take a lot of Grey Knights. Lots and lots of them. BC, GM, ... it doesn't really matter all that much because you don't really ever want to be in assault.
While I agree with most of your post for 'traditional' 'nid lists number6, I can't help but think you'd run into trouble doing this against a shooty 'nid list, particularly something like a shooty 'Nidzilla. Seems to me that stormbolter spam is going to be a lot less effective against a list like that, and you'd be forced to engage them in assault. Have you had success with these tactics against a shooty 'nid build?

Just curious,

-H

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
While I agree with most of your post for 'traditional' 'nid lists number6, I can't help but think you'd run into trouble doing this against a shooty 'nid list, particularly something like a shooty 'Nidzilla. Seems to me that stormbolter spam is going to be a lot less effective against a list like that, and you'd be forced to engage them in assault. Have you had success with these tactics against a shooty 'nid build?

Just curious,
I've only faced one 'nid army, once, that I would classify as "shooty" 'Nidzilla. With fewer gribblies on the board, I did try and get my GK squads into assault with carnifexes relatively quickly, but still tried to shoot down the flyrant and guarded tyrant. Those were easily the hardest units -- in all senses of the word -- to tackle properly. Dakkafexes are very easy to deal with ... if you can hug terrain, deny line of sight, and get into assault. If not, they're horrendously powerful. Double that for a flying, shooty tyrant! To my mind, those are the most dangerous threats facing us.

I won't lie, it was an extremely difficult game, and I was lucky to leave it with a draw. (The 'nid general had more VPs than me, but just shy of enough to move it out of the "draw" category.) I was never able to mount a solid resistance to the tyrants, and they did the lion's share of damage to my force.

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
I agree with Number6 on the most part. However, always spread out your fire power evenly among the little gribblies. Unless there is a squad of stealers that are to close, then even our your shots. As a tyranid player I know that it stinks bigtime when I only have 3 squads of under 5 guants left out of 6 squads of ten. take out the flyrant, if he/she has one, first. then focus on the gribblies and that should do it. Oh, and plasma cannons hurt nids a lot8Y.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts