Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting back into Fantasy after a hiatus of about a year. Wood Elves seem like a wise choice and I'm making myself a 750pt - 1000pt list... I've got the battalion box set, 3x warhawk riders, a treeman, waywatchers, the highborn model and another box of GG. Out of those models what would you guys suggest taking against an army of WoC or lizardmen, as these will be the two armies I face the most. Thinking about getting some wardancers tomorrow as well.

I can't seem to find any tactics against WoC. I know he has some knights, warriors and marauders? With some beefy hero guy. And the Lizardman likes his stegadon, skink priests and cold one riders. He also fields a big unit of saurus warriors.

Any tips would be very much appreciated. I wasn't sure if this post would be in the wrong category, I apologize for any inconvenience! Thanks guys.

Lenwe

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey Lenwe,

Use about 6 WW against the WoC knights. Use the Warhawks to block things like big blocks of maurauders, and maybe assault his artillery (be carefull with that). I dont think you should field the treeman, since its not really point effective in 1000pts. Field dryads and wardancers to get some fear test done (never know when he will throw 6's :p ) and get some decent close combat. Fill out the list with GG and make sure you shoot the crap out of him before he is halfway the table! Really, keep away from the close combat until you are certain he will lose! About the higborn, I would field him as a "standart alter" without the alter (so that means give him {light armor; GW; shield; Hail of Doom (MUST HAVE!!); HotH}) you could replace the Helm of the Hunt by something to give him a ward save or something. Make units of 10 GG and field them in single rank lines!

Against lizardman the same apply's but:
- swap the waywatchers for more dryads (outnumbered by fear causing enemy!)
- drop the warhawks for more dryads or Glade Gaurd.
- field a branchwraith as hero (just use a "nice" dryad model) and give her the +1 Dispell Dice spite and make her a lvl 1 caster (weehee 4DD!)

And again make sure you fight on you terms! Dont engage one enemy unit with only one of you own, try to get flank and rear charges! The flee reaction is a basic move for a Wood Elf player. and stand and shoot with Glade Gaurd is a deadly measure to turn the enemy into beef! Cause 10 S4 shot on short range gotta hurt!

Well thats a lot of text, but the basis is this: Fight on you own terms; Shoot before thinking about combat; dryads are good; GG are good; waydancers are the best CC we have.

I hope this helps,
Erik

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good fun & questions about Waywatchers...

Thank you so much, Erik. I wanted to make sure I at least had a battle against WoC before I replied.

So... I fought them and managed to secure a solid victory. I also played High Elves and scored a massacre! Wood Elves are fantastic and overall everyone had a lot of fun.

It ended up being a 1300pt game and I used some of my friends Wood Elves. I took a group of 6 Waywatchers, 3 groups of GG(lines of 10 which works wonders, thank you!), 12 Dryads and a unit of 11 Dryads w/ a Branchwraith (A cluster of Radiants and A Lamentation of Despairs) I also had a group of 10 wardancers (Musician and Bladesinger) and a noble which was my general w/ HoDA, HotH, LA, Shield.

He took a unit of mauraders, a big unit of chaos warriors, 5 knights, a lone hero, a hero on a juggernaut and a mage.

I deployed my Waywatchers on his side aiming to take down that mage. I managed to do so but pretty late in the game. They managed to get a few shots off at the chaos warriors as well. My archers were able to take out the unit of mauraders before they reached me and whittle down the unit of chaos warriors which allowed the wardancers to finish them off. They cut them down and charged the lone hero and dealt with him as well. Wardancers = Amazing. Though I feel it was risky throwing them in there alone without a supporting unit. His knights annihilated both units of Dryads and a unit of archers which made the knights run off the board but come back on the next turn. I wasn't able to score any wounds on the knights. A unit of archers miraculously took care of the juggernaut hero which was his general. Thank god cause he would have been trouble. HoDA was an epic fail haha scoring a total number of four hits...

A couple of questions about Waywatchers...

I ran into a weird situation playing high elves when I wanted to deploy my WW in his zone. He was saying I couldn't because I had to at least be 10" away(like scouts). Though I was saying they have a rule which states no minimum distance required between them and an enemy unit. So essentially they could be right behind an enemy unit (1 inch away?) as long as the enemy unit is facing the other way, is this correct? Though when reading the scouts rule it says I would have to be behind cover but with no minimum distance required. He had a lone mage back there as well which I know I had to be at least 12" away from. I ended up putting them in my deployment zone.

Also do I have to deploy the WW in the enemy deployment zone or can I deploy them just outside the zone, in plain sight?

I'll be experimenting with some different kinds of army builds and hopefully get around to posting some in the army list section.

Thanks for your help man.

Lenwe

·
Registered
320 Posts
Waywatchers have no minimum distance when out of line of sight, you had it right, the high elf player did not. They can be in your oppenents deployment area, right behind an enemy unit as long as they are out of line of sight of every enemy unit. If he has that one lone character, you can't really get out of line of sight, but can still be in line of sight, in his deployment area, as long as they are 12" away from enemy models. If the later here is the case, I love to deploy my waywaters 12" away from his lone character, and then pelt them with arrow fire instantly on the first turn.

·
4,361 Posts
You still need to be in cover when deploying waywatchers within 12 inches of another unit. So they can deploy in your opponents deployment zone as long as there is woods or something to hide in or behind. And they can be in the zone between armies, out in the open if on your half of the board, or in cover if on his half.

SirKently

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah they are great against lone characters or big units of heavy cav. Thats because they benefit form the "no movement penalty for shooting" rule (since its army wide). They have Killing Blow (Lethal Shot) at short range. And you can deploy them 1" behind enemy's. You will probably lose them that same turn, but you can use that to pick out his warmachine, then He turns a unit, then you shoot at his mage or something else with many points, then he charges... well stand and shoot anyone? :p

Oh try to field them in units of 6 or 10...

Great that the GG worked out for you! And the wardancers can deal with a lot of hurt, because of their ward save. then they can also cause a lot of hurt! (they are especially funny vs High Elfs with their ASF rule, hA! I have wardancers!)

No thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much guys. Everyone has been a lot of help. Though I feel like I'm getting a mixed response when it comes to the waywatchers question, maybe not everyone is on the same page when it comes to this rule. Having read the scout rule it does seem like we need to be in cover when deploying within 12".Though with no minimum distance. So as long as something is between you and the enemy you're golden.

Man I love wood elves...

·
Registered
415 Posts
The book states, and I quote:

Either place them exactly like scouts but with no minimum distance between them and the enemy, or place them in sight of the enemy (even in the open), but more than 12" away from them.
So indeed, place them like scouts but with no minimum distance (out of LoS). Or place them in the open but with 12" between them and the enemy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts