Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

I am currently a Tyranid player and I like the playstyle, aggresive , board controlling horde.
Now I am a big crush on the Tau fluff and I would like to achieve the same effect with my Tau army as my Tyranid Army.

but I have some questions before I can really advance with my list.

Shield drones, they give a 4+ invulnerable save to the squad attached.
so does this mean that if an AP4 weapon hits my firewarrior squad I get to take all wounds with a 4+ invulnerable save, or just one ? because of the one drone.

In 3th Ed I remember that the rules were that you had to assault drones if they were in the unit ? is still an active rule ? I remember reading it somewhere but it could be the 3ed Codex. Couldn't find this in my 4th ed codex. if somebody would have a page or an answer I would be most grateful :)

now for the list.
I have bought the apocalypse Armoured interdiction cadre and the Rapid insertion force.
together with a stealth suit box.
I will use the rapid insertion box to convert 2x XV88's and 2HQ commanders. this still leaves me with enough suits. although I'm not sure how to equip these. they are expensive when equipped with long range low AP

Something temporary I have worked out:

6 stealth suits. is the targetting array worth it ? I did some test rolls and the BS4 helps alot but then again it's 60 points. and since I plan on having a markerlight heavy army I could actually miss this, right ?

2x 12 warriors + shas 'ui with MT,ML, TL
this will be my static element marking stuff for 2 turns then going mobile to avoid charges.

1x 12 warriors + devilfish MT .
one mobile element to perform a FOF or to switch board sides when it gets to hot.

2x broadsides. I am not sure how to equip these.

1x hammerhead defensive upgrades + railgun
1x Skyray + defense upgrades, SMS

8x pathfinders + devilfish.
a semi static element. 8x markerlights are a nice addition to any tau army imho. on turn 3, they will advance to pin enemy troops.

6x vespids. will only be taken against MEQ's. Will take the strain of my XV8's so that they can focus AP2 on terminators.

that's about it, any tips and info on this list is appreciated.
Also does anyone know a good deal to get firewarriors ?

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Drones no longer do the "Out of the way, Sir" bit.

Shield Drones do not confer the invulnerable save on the entire unit.

Broadsides: both with ASS, Team Leader takes HWDC + 2SDs, HWTL and BK. Costs 205pts but very effective unit.

Pathfinders: Do not advance to pin, stay back, keep your markerlights safe and use multiple ML hits to lower leadership when gun drones or other Pinning Weapons hit the same unit and cause casualties.

Stealths with TA all round make them very expensive. Better to use the Markerlight hits and save the points for other things!

Sorry this has been a bit short and sharp but I have to be somewhere else very soon! Hope it has helped a little anyway.

E.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
The only problem I see with this is your belief that vespids will do Jack in a game.
They won't, simply put.
Lose the vespids, and use a different (any) unit.

If you are going with markerlights the TA is not necessary on a stealth team.

Don't advance your pathfinders on turn 3.
Use their scout move so they are in position on turn 1.
Then, don't move them.
You are sacrificing 3 turns of shooting in order to move them more than 6".
Turn 1 of movement. Get in devilfish. Devilfish moves.
Turn 2. Deploy pathfinders.
Turn 3. Shoot ML's.

If you perform this on turn 3, you won't be able to use the markerlights until turn 5-6.
If you are referring to the carbines, good luck pinning with those.
Pinning is incredibly unreliable, short of lots of markerlight hits, which should be used for killing said unit anyway, so using your markerlight providers to pin without their markerlights is a little silly.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I think pathfinders are a terrible unit and suggest not to use them. I don't think markerlights help in any way other than make the game interesting. Consistently the best lists at tournaments don't use markerlights.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
I think pathfinders are a terrible unit and suggest not to use them. I don't think markerlights help in any way other than make the game interesting. Consistently the best lists at tournaments don't use markerlights.
Oni I find your posts quite infuriating sometimes. You consistently knock units or state units are great etc but you often refrain from stating why. It is not enough to just say Pathfinders are a terrible unit (which is not true by the way) and then not say why or back up your claim.

You are an experienced player true and you have lots of knowledge, but I sometimes feel that you believe your reputation is such that we should just take your word for it, well no not really. I to am a very experienced player with lots of knowledge and so are many others on this and other forums, but we do not expect others to just accept what we say with no argument, we back up our points and claims and so should you.

As for your ML not helping comment, well lets just say hitting with a Subs on 2+ or knocking that assault units LDS down to 5 for the pinning roll, or 24 FW shots at BS5 is certainly useful.
As for the tournie comment well when Tau start to consistently win Tournies in the same way as Eldar do for instance and we get a lot more wins under our belts. Then and only then can we say definitively what makes a good Tau tournie list.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Tau lists that win around here all use lights. I didn't start winning games at all without them. However, since stealth suits are required to take some sort of upgrade if one member of the team does so, and you don't know what to take, might as well be a targeting array. It's only 5 points.

they are expensive when equipped with long range low AP
Welcome to the army, Shas'O.

I think eigel's broadside team is a little overequipped, but hey, however you want to play it.

Be sure and put the MT on that hammerhead, and if you're not going to use the markerlights on the Skyray, don't take it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quoted from Ausare
The Tau lists that win around here all use lights. I didn't start winning games at all without them. However, since stealth suits are required to take some sort of upgrade if one member of the team does so, and you don't know what to take, might as well be a targeting array. It's only 5 points.
Can you define, "around here" Ausare? I do not know whether you are talking about LO or your LGS.

A TA cost infantry models 10pts, while TA’s cost vehicles 5pts.

There are two very popular forms of SS's.
-4xSS w/ TA's = 160
or
-6xSS = 180

The best upgrade is no upgrade if someone can squeeze out the points for their list.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I myself like to use 6 Stealths with Targeting Arrays, strictly burst cannons. I know this is kinda on the expensive end at 240pts, but I works great for me when they're used "aggressively". Especially when you Infiltrate.

1. Infiltrate. ( >12-18" away, depending...)
2. Jump 6".
3. Spray burst cannons 18".
4. Jump back.

This works very well for me. Great for whittling flanks and general troop-killing.8Y

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I believe 6 stealths should have targeting arrays, even if the unit is extremely expensive.

The math on targeting arrays says they are definitely worth it, no matter how many stealths you have.

I stick with 4 stealths not because 240pts is too many, but because 4 stealths are an easier footprint to work with.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
The "lists around here" if you are referring to LO, do not only win if they have lights.
For example, my army.

Next, still stay away from the vespids.
LO is above the influence.
Friends don't let friends use vespids.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the overall input from everyone so far. I have been doing some more research and I am coming to terms with a list I really like. I do have 2 question though. For example, A unit of 2 broadsides. team leader has a multitracker and target lock I target the unit towards Tank 1. Broadsider nr2 fires, kills the tank. because of the target lock I get to shoot the team leader at a different target. for example Terminator 1 Do I have to use both the SMS and railgun on Terminator 1 or kan I direct the sms on something else. also what about this idea: Shas el, plasma rifle + fusion blaster + some options. Crisis Monat plasma + fusion blaster + options deep striking this squad to go tank / Heavy infantry hunting. I think this should work. 3 shots with AP2 or less. should be able to deal with most of the troop sizes.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Both the sms and railgun have to be fired at the same unit.

Fusion blasters have to be on BS5 or twinlinked BS4. My commander indeed has a fusion blaster, she's 97 points.

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Fusion blasters have to be on BS5 or twinlinked BS4. My commander indeed has a fusion blaster, she's 97 points.
I don't see why FBs have to be either BS5 or TL BS 4. If you're going to make such bold assertions, mon brave, you really ought to back them up with some sort of evidence, anecdotal or otherwise.

However, for what it's worth, my 'El commander has a FB, a PR and a TA, and he's 97 points too!

~ Raven ~

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
The Fusion Blaster has this tendancy to put out one very important shot. When you're putting out a single important shot, it's very important that that shot hits.

I'm inclined to agree. I wouldn't put a Fusion blaster on anything which is likely to miss more than one time out of six.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fusion blasters have to be on BS5 or twinlinked BS4
Or you could marker tag the targets >.>

I run a smallish 1000 point list, so since I can't really bring a great volume of firepower in, I use the hell out of those lights to ensure accuracy. It works round here, and by here, I mean Houston. I've just never known a list to work as effectively as possible without them. Course, I have an amazing 8 months of experience, so :\

About the fusion blaster, i believe that Crisis suit tactica mentioned something along the lines of "equip every suit in a squad to do the same thing." This would necessarily involve more than one fusion shot in your firing phase, and if one of them hits AV 13 from melta range (<6") you usually don't need another hit...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for the overall input from everyone so far. I have been doing some more research and I am coming to terms with a list I really like. I do have 2 question though. For example, A unit of 2 broadsides. team leader has a multitracker and target lock I target the unit towards Tank 1. Broadsider nr2 fires, kills the tank. because of the target lock I get to shoot the team leader at a different target. for example Terminator 1 Do I have to use both the SMS and railgun on Terminator 1 or kan I direct the sms on something else. also what about this idea: Shas el, plasma rifle + fusion blaster + some options. Crisis Monat plasma + fusion blaster + options deep striking this squad to go tank / Heavy infantry hunting. I think this should work. 3 shots with AP2 or less. should be able to deal with most of the troop sizes.
Note: You must declare all of a unit's shooting before any firing takes place (i.e. "Both Broadsides are firing at Tank 1" or "Broadside 1 is firing at Tank 1, and Broadside 2 is firing at Terminator 1").

But both the SMS and Railguin would have to fire at the same target (but I strongly suggest not taking a MT on an XV88).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Illegal_carrot, Could you clarify why you wouldn't take a multi tracker ?
since the railgun is twin linked I think the TA isn't mandatory;
and the sms is good weapon, and it will help in adding fire power to the army.

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
Sorry about back tracking but:

I believe 6 stealths should have targeting arrays, even if the unit is extremely expensive.

The math on targeting arrays says they are definitely worth it, no matter how many stealths you have.

I stick with 4 stealths not because 240pts is too many, but because 4 stealths are an easier footprint to work with.
I'm sorry onlainari but this is wrong. TA and non TA Stealth Suits both get the same number of hits per points. The non TA unit has more wounds however and is therefore the better unit.

Illegal_carrot, Could you clarify why you wouldn't take a multi tracker ?
since the railgun is twin linked I think the TA isn't mandatory;
and the sms is good weapon, and it will help in adding fire power to the army.
I will clarify for him. If you got Broadsides you obviously chose them to kill tanks, why pay points so they can shot a few more pulse rifle shots that you can get from anywhere else. Give Broadsides ASS for the mobility they need.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
How on earth can TA and non TA units that cost the same get the same number of hits. The non TA has far more shots so it has the possibility of getting a high number of hits. While the TA unit has a far less chance of getting very few hits.

If you're talking about hits on average, stealths do not always get an average number of hits (in fact it's very unlikely).

A TA unit is more predictable in the number of hits it's going to get. That's what the math says, and that makes them better, so what I said is not wrong.

The number of wounds a stealth unit has does not matter for me, my stealths never get shot.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
The number of wounds a stealth unit has does not matter for me, my stealths never get shot.
It must be just me, am I a bad player? Am I doing something wrong?, why the questions you ask and why the "it must be me statement".
Well I keep seeing these definitive statements like the above "my Stealths never get shot" and I am wondering just how these other players pull this sort of thing of.

Now in the above example for instance, I play Stealths and I play them well (if I may be excused for saying so without sounding arrogant), I know their strengths and I know their weaknesses and in some games they do in fact go unmolested. Thing is though in some games they get shot or assaulted etc, no matter how careful I am they get caught by faster units or the opponent gets a LOS I missed and passes the spotting test.

Now I am told I am a good player but I have never been able to make this type of definitive statement about a unit. I find it impossible to believe that any player can play more than a few games with any unit and it not take wounds. There are just to many scenarios which you cannot avoid, deep striking units for instance, fast units like Eldar bikes, extreme range weaponry, ordnance weapons that do not need LOS so cannot be hidden from, to mention just a few examples.

How do you do this Oni, apart from keeping the Stealths in a sealed box in a dark room guarded by Dobermans with aggression issues, then I fail to see how you can prevent them ever taking a wound, no one is that good (even you;))
I am not just singling you out Oni I have seen this sort of statement elsewhere and I am just mystified as to how you and other players who make these claims perform these feats.

I use a Helios HQ with Drones and he has never been killed, but he has been shot at and lost wounds, even with a Drone squad, IC status and JSJ for protection he still got shot and I am probably one of the most experienced players alive at using this tactic, but it still does not stop it taking wounds now and again.

If anyone uses Stealths aggressively they will take wounds, if your hiding the unit all game then they do not need the expensive TA's. The fact that your taking the TA's indicates you use them to shoot, if this is the case how in gods name do you shoot at 18" and avoid any retaliation EVER.

What with your untouchable Stealths and Left of West's undefeated uber list I am beginning to wonder what you are both holding back from us, spill the beans and let us know these arcane secrets to perfect game play. I for one would love to know the secret to untouchable Stealths.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts