Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I wanted too ask something, I was doing research for a friend who is starting his own army and by browsing forge world i saw the amazing imperial navy models (valkyrie etc) and after watching avatar (3d movie - good movie watch it) and wanted too make an air force styled army full of flying models and powerful weapons and lots of troops...

so here is the thing - where do i start?

which codex too get, what imperial guard force uses air vehicles (obviously elysian any others?) and what other tips could you suggest. what playing styles could be used, are they effective against tanks and what styles are they weak against

would it be possible too filed and army full of valkyrie and vendettas and practically no other vehicles and how good is it competitively...

also is there a way too get my HQ inside a flying vehicle like a command valkyire .....

anyways ty for any info

·
1,648 Posts
Air Cav can be fun to play, but it is a glass cannon and can be countered easily if you aren't careful. That being said, I love the concept.

First things first, there is only one Imperial Guard codex. There are no special rules for cadians, steel legion, elysians, catachans, or anything for that matter. Everything falls under a single codex. I suppose you could use rule sets from the Imperial Armour books from forgeworld, but you must have your opponents permission to use them and they are not tournament legal.

Granted you can use forgeworld models "count-as" for certain units.

Air Cav is great for alpha-strike. If you get first turn and neutralize the enemies mobility and hurt their anti-tank you can walk circles around them. One the other hand Valkyries and Vendettas aren't overly durable and can be taken apart quickly if you aren't careful.

Most Air Cav lists I've seen have between 4 and 6 Valks/Vends as well as some supporting armor on the ground.

And on the last question. Yes, the command squad may start the game in/embark in Valks/Vends.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All of the above, but please note that by asking for a 'Command Valkyrie', Banniko might also imply that his HQ be able to also dispatch Orders from inside a Valkyrie/Vendetta.

Only the Chimera has the ability to be turned into a 'Mobile Command Vehicle' of Orders capable with a CCS or a PCS embarked. Suffice to say, we still can utilise our Flyers without 'Orders ability' from an embarked CCS/PCS unless they go on foot again...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can the gunships carry vehicles (like some modern ones do) or is it only troops....wouldnt it be cool havying the copters carry in a tank and troops, quickly land release the tank send out the troops and you have a powerful fast attack....then use the copter too annoy the vehicles...

my vision is bright.....

i was thinking about having a certain original feel too the army...like the army are from an ice world (you wouldnt expect that) or maybe a barbarian feel like karak skulltakers (or something like that) lots of bones attached too vehicles...etc....attach alien prey and enemies too the copters (tokens).

I already have an idea of 1 model flying in low attacking something and a troop jumping out with a knife is his mouth too the foes whilst his buddies cover fire him

or make a typical rescue scene you so often see on tv....gunships are cool...

what sort of vehicles best mix with the flying cav....lets say I make use of some leman ruses and chimeras can i change the look of the tanks as though they are flying? it would still be chimeras and leman but they look like like gunships would that be allowed?

·
1,648 Posts
can the gunships carry vehicles (like some modern ones do) or is it only troops....wouldnt it be cool havying the copters carry in a tank and troops, quickly land release the tank send out the troops and you have a powerful fast attack....then use the copter too annoy the vehicles...
No. Transports may not carry vehicles. Though, you could make up house rules for this or use Imperial Armor (IA) rules if you opponent agress.

i was thinking about having a certain original feel too the army...like the army are from an ice world (you wouldnt expect that) or maybe a barbarian feel like karak skulltakers (or something like that) lots of bones attached too vehicles...etc....attach alien prey and enemies too the copters (tokens).
Sweet. That'd be an awesome sight to see.

I already have an idea of 1 model flying in low attacking something and a troop jumping out with a knife is his mouth too the foes whilst his buddies cover fire him

or make a typical rescue scene you so often see on tv....gunships are cool...
Remember to have legal model you must mount it on the base it comes with. Valks/Vends have very tall bases.

what sort of vehicles best mix with the flying cav....lets say I make use of some leman ruses and chimeras can i change the look of the tanks as though they are flying? it would still be chimeras and leman but they look like like gunships would that be allowed?
Depends on the rest of the army. Since you'll be soaking up a lot of point in the troops and gunships you'll probably be getting cheaper things. Hydras and Griffons would be great, though heavier vehicles are definitely a go.

On the conversions. From the modelling aspect it'd be awesome. From the gaming aspect, it'd be illegal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Imperial Armour 8 will be out soon (I think it's due for a March release). In it will be an updated Elysian list. As your first post shows, you are aware that the Elysians are an air mobile force.
The Elysian list will be brought into line with the latest Imperial Guard codex, so expect to use Valkyries and Vendettas, which may or may not be dedicated transports. It will also include Tauros Venators with their own transport valkyrie pic 1, pic 2, Drop Sentinels (currently capable of being carried in a Valkyrie although that might change with the new ruels) and Vultures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts