<hr width="75%" color="ccffff" size="2">

</body>
</html>

Michael Fischer
Mr. Smith
English
16 December 2003

Mood and Atmosphere

The novel ‘The Wars’ has a rather dreary atmosphere. The majority of the novel takes place in war torn France during the First World War. The landscape is bleak and desolate with only craters, trenches and bodies providing any recognizable landmarks worth commenting about. Even in the earlier more ‘happy’ parts of the book the overall landscape tends to be lonely, easily portraying Roberts state of mind through his short life. When receiving field training in Canada, he does so in the Prairies of Canada, aside from the northern tundra of Canada, there is probably no lonelier place with as little overall features. A very serious atmosphere, for a very serious character.

Again, the mood of the novel reflects the death like feeling that the reader receives when reading the novel. From very early in the novel people are dying at quite a constant rate. It starts early in the book page seven, when Roberts sister dies and immediately Robert beings to feel guilty about it. Guilt and death are very distinct features all through out the novel, while I find, the common human feeling of lust is simply blown over. The again makes the novel have a more serious tone save a few humours exceptions.

Conflict

As similar to most war novels, there is quite a great deal of conflict present both in the literary sense and in the physical sense. Many of the characters feel a slight resentment towards another character called Levitt, although this does not lead to hostility it to remain and is a small contributing factor to the fact that Levitt gets “shell shocked�. And the most obvious example of person versus person, is the war going on in which all the characters are pitted against the German foe. Even Roberts own mother, Mrs. Ross, is in conflict with her son over his decision to join the Military. This also eventually leads to ger own mental down fall.

Themes

Through out the novel “The Wars� many strong themes are distinct and quite easily seen. The theme of child-parent relations is a large one and is evident all though out the novel. Robert is a serious and somewhat shy child and even during his younger adult years Robert remains a very quiet man. Compared to his smoking alcoholic mother who begins to “seek out storms� (151) Robert becomes easily separate from his mother only hampering their relation ship. In a way she represents the upper class of society as she is a very elegant lady and Timothy Findley does an excellent job of matching her to high class actress and other very public figures. She is very possessive, as easily seen when she walks into the Bathroom while Robert is taking a bath “carrying an empty glass. For a moment she stood there holding her hands in tight against her body as if for some reason Robert might takes these possessions from her� (21). This alcoholism can only hinder parent-child relationships. Robert only feels more and more separated from his family. However this detachment from his mother only increases his attachment towards his father. It was only Tom Ross, Roberts father, that truly understands his sons quietness and wish to have a different skin colour. This is a very similar attitude towards most low income homes that have an alcoholic parent. Its interesting how this compares to the high profile wife, Mrs Ross. Timothy Findley is obviously trying to show that in society marriages can sometimes represent Hollywood, that the famous wealth heiress marry’s a humble carpenter. Society is normally not like this save the odd case, so its interesting how Findley creates this mismatched family.

The overall theme of war and conflict however obvious takes a hue part of this novel. This is immediately seen with Rowena’s death. Inner conflict rakes though the Ross family. Robert feels guilt, his mother depression, and his father only understanding. War however takes a more prominent factor. This is seen when Ross become stuck in war-torn France’s mud and almost drowns. Had the war not been taking place then Robert would not have almost drowned (88). Another more extreme case of the war is when Robert and a number of his new mortar crew experience a chlorine gas attack while in Ypres. The theme of war further emphasis’s the fact that human nature is constantly in a state of conflict and that in now way can war or fighting be avoided. Only in death does Robert truly find peace from his tortured life. “Who dies in youth and vigour, dies the best.�

- Alexander Pope

One of the main examples of conflict found in this novel is the guilt Robert feels towards his sisters untimely and early death; person versus self. He sees constant reminders of her through out the novel and the overall feeling of guilt eventually makes Robert commit mutiny and kill fellow members of the Canadian Armed Forces. Taffler, also faces and conflict versus him self when he tries to end his own suffering by attempting suicide. One can only guess at the reasons fro wanting to end ones own life, but the simple fact that he tried is evidence enough in its own right.

Robert feels a certain difference to society and this is reflected quite early in the novel when Robert is standing in the train station simply ignoring all and everybody around him. Even when he visits the prostitute when on the prairies, Robert feels detached from the situation. He’s serious mood separates him from soicety completely in the end, falling back on the fact that he committed mutiny. No one on either side of the trench understood him, save his father.

Two of lesser cases of conflict are recovered in this novel that of person versus nature when Robert goes running with the coyote on the prairies, there was a chance that the coyote could attack him, but Robert seized the initiative and continues his run. The final conflict found in the novel was Mrs. Ross’s short conflict against God when in the church. This is a quick conflict however and takes only about two lines of the entire novel.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i would cut the defender squad in half and add a heavy wepon. yu can aliviate the alck of heavy infantry prob by adding a star cannon.

dont worry too much about hevay infantry. u dont find alot of them marching across the board and if u do then u can take me down with even 2 star cannons u had.

Farseer
take out spear. give witch blade. take out a spider and pop him in with the spiders in the falcon.

other then that...nice list i like it alot

good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tau and IG can be a real pain in the ass against Eldar (Basilisk, Leman Russ, Railgun) but with Vypers and Fire Dragons you've got that covered... You could try to tone down the Guardian Defenders in number a bit and add a Hvy Wpns Platform with a Starcannon.

Anti-Tank is pretty good covered, but if you face IG, which usually has a ridiculous amount of tanks, you could consider adding some Guardian Stormers with Haywire Grenades.

Otherwise, you could consider skipping the Falcon you dont use and throw in Crystal Targeting Matrixes for the Vypers and the Falcon

-pax vobiscum :D

Edit: Give Guide to your Farseer, as most of you army is Ranged...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your quick replys.

The reason I've decided not to "chop" the Guardian squad in half is because its is pretty much my only anti-horde weaponry in my entire weaponry. Plus it allows me to use it seperate from the rest of my army to take objectives and quarters since it has good survivabilty.

Adding a starcannon would destroy any use of Fleet of foot and personally I love the speed these guys can provide my normally smaller squads.

Just a question though - why would I put my Spiders in a Falcon when they could move seperate at a higher speed and be able to shoot at other targets. Putting them in a Falcon would limit there mobility, the reason I chose them and if the Falcon goes down - then there's a big chance of eveerything going up in smoke.

My Farseer doesn't really need a Witchblade since he'll be Mindwaring enemy veternan sargents and Fortuning either the large Guardian squad or possibly the Pathfinders giving them an effective 2+ re-rollable cover save.

But a small Stormie squad would be a good idea - I'll get back to you on it.

But in the mean time, is there any other things I should maybe change?

Thrawn

- semper fi -

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would take the same number of rangers, but re-arrange them into squads of 3. For a start this gives you more rolls on the disruption table. It also gives you more opportunities to inflict pinning tests on the enemy. Thus making the best possible use of your firepower.
Squads of three means that the enemy have to kill 2/3 of each squad to prevent them from rallying, and fleeing rangers are useless. Also small squads makes you better able to deal with assaults. The chances are all three will get killed straight away leaving the enemy unable to advance and at the mercy of your guns.
I wouldn't worry about heavy infantry, remember that your guns are ap1 on a hit roll of 6, so you'll wear them down, and you have plenty of other suitable weapons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of doing this - but was a bit hesitant about what fellow gamers would say if none of my squads were maximum.

But yes - if I'm just playing around with friends I will do that.

Thanks Viscount - small cyber world isn't it?

Thrawn

- semper fi -

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Originally posted by Thrawn@Sep 16 2003, 06:19

The reason I've decided not to "chop" the Guardian squad in half is because its is pretty much my only anti-horde weaponry in my entire weaponry. Plus it allows me to use it seperate from the rest of my army to take objectives and quarters since it has good survivabilty.

Adding a starcannon would destroy any use of Fleet of foot and personally I love the speed these guys can provide my normally smaller squads.

Just a question though - why would I put my Spiders in a Falcon when they could move seperate at a higher speed and be able to shoot at other targets. Putting them in a Falcon would limit there mobility, the reason I chose them and if the Falcon goes down - then there's a big chance of eveerything going up in smoke.

My Farseer doesn't really need a Witchblade since he'll be Mindwaring enemy veternan sargents and Fortuning either the large Guardian squad or possibly the Pathfinders giving them an effective 2+ re-rollable cover save.

Thrawn

- semper fi -
yur completely rihgt. i forgot that the spiders are so friggin fast lol sry.

if u want anti horde...3 war walkers wiht 2 scatter lasers on each...and if u could get it...guise em!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Originally posted by Salamander+Sep 16 2003, 07:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Salamander @ Sep 16 2003, 07:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Thrawn@Sep 16 2003, 06:19

Thrawn

- semper fi -
yur completely rihgt. i forgot that the spiders are so friggin fast lol sry.

if u want anti horde...3 war walkers wiht 2 scatter lasers on each...and if u could get it...guise em!! [/b][/quote]
word

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm - I'm just not sure where I would find the points for the War Walkers.

If I did drop a couple of things, it would change my entire list.

But as I said, I'll work around with it and the repost any changes I get.

And to Genomvid, what do you mean by 'word'?

Thanks.

Thrawn

- semper fi -

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm - I'm just not sure where I would find the points for the War Walkers.

If I did drop a couple of things, it would change my entire list.

But as I said, I'll work around with it and the repost any changes I get.

And to Genomvid, what do you mean by 'word'?

Thanks.

Thrawn

- semper fi -

·
Registered
31 Posts
A small world indeed.
I'm on holiday from Eldar Online because i havn't been able to get into the forums for over a week, same with Portent. I don't suppose you know if they're down at the moment? I've changed PC though so could be that.

As for the warwalkers, they are fluffy for Alaitoc but if you worry people might object to three man scout squads, they tend to cry when they see trio's of Warwalkers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thrawn: first, it's GnomviD, not Genomvid ;)
Secondly, "word" means that I agree, as do "w3rd", "w0rd", "amen", "uhu" etc. etc. :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by The VisCount@Sep 16 2003, 10:47
A small world indeed.
I'm on holiday from Eldar Online because i havn't been able to get into the forums for over a week, same with Portent. I don't suppose you know if they're down at the moment? I've changed PC though so could be that.
About EO, do you want me at ask around and see if I can find the problem?

But back to my list - I'll run the idea of alot of small squads around my gaming group. What I'm thinking of doing is replacing me fire dragon squad with 2 stormie squads decked out for anti tank hunting. Although, I'm not sure where I could find the extra points - Maybe drop a Vyper?

Thrawn

- Semper fi -

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
for war walkers? hmm well if put a couple bright lanes on a war walker then u gain back that tank hunting. then in another squad u can have 2 more for ant horde or anti reg infantry...customize anyway u want.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm.

War-walkers eh?

I might try them out and see how they work.

But right now - I'm looking into dropping a Vyper, adding a 5 man guardian squad with haywire gernades, 2 fusion guns, a Warlock with a Singing Spear and no powers.

That way it'll more then make up for the loss of the brightlance and at the same time, give me a small close combat squad.

Perfect in my eyes.

Sound good to you guys?

Thrawn

- semper fi -

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
naw guardians shouldnt be in combat.
i would drop the vipers alltogether and add a squad of either fire dragons or reapers or even the war wlakers would add tons more shooty then the vypers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The "new" Guardians arn't really meant to go into combat, only destroy tanks. I'm just saying that if they are needed in combat, then they can provide a large number of attacks for there numbers. I will not be using them as a front line unit.

The Vypers are used as a mobile anti-tank hunter, something fire-dragons wouldn't be able to do. Since they're limited to where the Falcons go - which could be in support of the Guardians rather then tank hunting. However, the Vypers can act independantly - tracking whirlwinds and other hard to hit targets.

Thrawn

- semper fi -

Music, oh the music was heavenly. One feasted on it – as one would feast upon a dinner fit for a king. It flowed though the cracks of the windows, floating through the air likes a dove in the wind – soothing, lying. It was a song of war – I beat faster and faster, stirring blood and adrenaline, forcing the mind to think of nothing but drawing blood. And with in this pure white chamber of music of blood lust – a bubbling red mixture spread on the ground. Glowing orange, sending flames towards the room, where a single drop of red life would drip from the crack in the ceiling. The music grew faster, the puddle larger – the drip was now a flow. And out of this perfectly orchestrated chaos rose a form, adorned with runes of death and blood, with forbidden runes of war. The Avatar of Khaine in his full glory strode out of the white – room – stained with blood. Blood that followed the molten creation of death down the hall and into a awaiting shuttle.

Alaitoc Strategies
Written by: Thrawn Ulthran

Greetings my kin, I welcome you to the hall of war, where we may discuss ways in which to defeat our enemies be it through brute force like or Biel-tan brethren or through our own subtle means which have proved to effective in the past. Lean close and together we’ll look through some ideas that may and will be of some use to you later on through out your journey.

Like a lot of the other major craftworlds, forces of Alaitoc tend to be small in number, relying on out shooting and mobility to keep their forces alive and to destroy the enemy. Mobility and adaptability is the key in an Alaitoc list. One must be flexible There is many different combinations that can be used effectively, from an all Ranger force using only Guardian based troops as support, to a vehicle heavy list using primarily Falcons and Vypers. Other combinations have also been used including a rare version of a part Wraithguard part Wraithlord Alaitoc list. During this article though I’ll try to stay away from specific scenarios and focus on general tactics that can be used with any Alaitoc list.

First off I’ll cover the basics, as soon as you become aware of the board, terrain set up, and mission objectives, my suggestion is to make a quick sketch or attack pattern in your mind. Set up a plan of attack and fire lanes immediately. Just be sure that these lanes can easily be changed and that anything that moves down that fire lane will die quickly, because, as with all Eldar, your units are fragile and they need to kill what they shoot at or there will be severe poundings the next turn. When setting up your fire lanes that will be used against infantry, remember that infantry move slower through than anything else, so you will have about one or two turns of mobilization before the enemy is upon you. Always have an alternate route for your static forces to regroup to. When you become totally focused on a single plan, they you become vulnerable to weaknesses. A prime example of this is a player who simply "rhino rushes" his units blindly towards the objective, hoping to capture it early before enemy units can open fire upon him. He or she becomes so focused on this that he or she ignores auto cannons and anti-tank weapons that open up on his rear or side armour, destroying his or her force early on. Without any back ups, the player is forced to hold out until the end of the game with no chance of reinforcements. He or she over committed in his or her bid to capture the objective. He or she could have held out for a turn, sending units to target the anti-tank weaponry before making the assault towards the objective. But do not get me wrong, taking initiative is not a bad thing, however, in an Alaitoc list, it can easily result in your down fall, as a Ranger Heavy army generally has little close combat support and an initial rush may not be the best choice. Setting up a basic counter - attack is probably the best choice, as it allows your forces the highest response time and at the same time, gives you general information on which path the enemy is going to take to capture the objective.

This is why I must yet again remind you that flexibility is key. Being able to respond to different situations is what Alaitoc players generally have a hard time with. They become over confident with the Ranger Disruption table (I’ll speak more in depth about this wonderful little thing later on in the article) or the sheer amount weaponry that they pack onto the table. No matter how many times you fire into masses of Tyranid Guants some are eventually going to get through and when they do you will have an increasing large number of Eldar Deaths on your hands. A balanced force is key to deal with such things. Including a large number of Rangers will give you a good chance to pin enemy troops at the beginning of the game. But one must keep a back up force that will deal with enemy armour and close combat which is inevitable in the game of Warhammer 40,000.

Alaitoc Weakness and ways to counter them

· Lack of anti-armour weaponry.

One of the easier things to compensate for. As stated before, Vypers armed with Brightlances will work well, as will Wave Serpents with the bonus of twin-linked anti-tank weaponry. If you generally play with lots of terrain or in a city, then distort cannons may be the weapon of your choice. However, it goes against everything I’ve been ‘preaching’ about so far. It’s not mobile, and cannot adapt. It’s to slow to be to quickly redeploy in safe position. However, if you prefer the static style list, by all means get a couple of these. Distort cannons are a great fear weapon and they can easily cut off a path that a tank would normally take. They also are great used belong side a Brightlance. The Brightlances cracks open the Rhino and the D-cannon kills the closely packed Marines.

· Lack of close combat troops.

Again, when fielding an army that is heavy with Rangers, you can find you will have a disturbing lack of close combat troops. The most obvious choice would be to use your Elite choices to get more. However, Path-finders are one of the best units in the game and you’ll most likely want to field a couple squads of them. So getting an Aspect Warrior squad to cover close combat in the elite section may not be your best choice. If you do have an open slot, then Howling Banshees or Striking Scorpions can provide you with a effective counter attack unit that can hold its own, but you will must likely not have any support for these units so use it cautiously. Another option would be to use either a squad of Warp Spiders or Swooping Hawks to give your army an incredibly mobile unit that can respond to almost any situations. The exarches in these squads are deadly in close combat and should not be under estimated.

· Relatively weak troops.

Yet another weakness of a Ranger heavy army that plagues commanders of an Alaitoc war host, is the apparent lack of ‘tough’ units. As stated in the previous article, to elevate this problem you can get a resilient unit from the elites section such as Scorpion or Wraithguard. Either of theses units can easily provide your army with a solid core unit/s that is capable of taking a hail of fire. One could also go the route I was talking about earlier. Mobility. Use massed fast units including Vypers, Guardian Jetbikes, Warp Spiders, Shining Spears, Swooping Hawks, Falcons, Fire Prism and the baby of the Eldar race with the fire power of a god; the War walker.

These units will give you a host that is extremely vulnerable to close combat, and yet, you will have the mobility to dictate where it will or will not take place. This style of lists is one of the strongest and possibly hardest lists to use. If you don’t direct the Fire Power to the correct targets in time, your army will be utterly destroyed in close combat. A thing to remember; as it will keep you on your toes when playing.

· War host can easily become purely static, not very Eldar.

Refer the previous paragraph that deals with a totally mobile list save the actual Rangers and Pathfinders. I find it to be the most “fluff� style of list to use as it mobile, like the Eldar as a race are, while at the same time being relatively weak, again, something the Eldar are in general as well. If you do choose to go with a purely static list, I pray that you take at least one unit of close combat troops to provide your army with a suitable counter attack force. Otherwise, you’ll play like the Tau, except with out the Kroot to protect you.

Alaitoc Strengths and ways to use them

· Disruption table

Ah, the ability to shoot enemy units, pin squads, and send others into reserves before the games even starts is something that should never be underestimated. Using a large amount of squads of Rangers and Path-finders will guarantee you the ability to cause some "disruption" to the enemy plans before the battle commences. With your pin rolls, try to target targets of the highest importance. This includes assault squads with jump-packs, and heavy weapon teams that would be able to harm your forces early in the game. Even placing a heavy weapon team in reserve allows you a couple of free turns without heavy enemy fire. This means that your weak [I hate sayings this but its true] Rangers will be able to get at the bare minimum one round of good solid shooting off before becoming a prime target. As the enemy will try to target your units that can provide fire power that will destroy his tanks and other tough units.

However, with every terrific strength for Alaitoc, there are people who like to exploit it. People do this by getting as many three man squads of Rangers [up to 8] and jam them into a list. They’re not using them to a tactical advantage, only to get rolls on the disruption table; something that any senior Alaitoc player will say is a no-no. My suggestion would be to use to never use more than six rolls on the disruption table. Any more will be seen as your trying to exploit the disruption table.

So final thoughts on this powerful table, target enemy assault and heavy weapon squads with your reserve rolls, pinning, and if your roll a ‘6’, try to fire at tough units such as Wraithlords and Daemons.

· Ability to take down tough opponents

Following up on the last thing said, Rangers and Pathfinders specifically excel at taking out large targets such as the previously mentioned Wraithlords and Daemons. The ability to wound 50% then possible ignore armour saves either 16% of the time or even 50% of the time if your firing with Pathfinders means that no tough units should get anywhere near your troops. The ability to take down these monstrous threats early in the game with out sacrificing any of your heavier conventional fire power will buy you extra time to mobilize your counter attacking force to be able to strike where you want to when you want to.

· Mobility

With the many delaying tactics in your Alaitoc force, its gives you a distinct advantage in a response time to any enemy units that make it to your lines. Hide your Rangers in such away that they will have an alternate escape route. This goes back to what I was saying earlier, about setting up fire lanes. Using the underestimated fleet of foot to the maximum ability that you possible can is little trick that should never be underestimated. If your battle lines are about to be over run by a vastly superior force with greater numbers, then by all means, haul ass and get your Rangers out of there. This sometimes as its consequences, if there is not unit to occupy the enemy during the retreat period, then the tactical retreat will turn into a massacre, as you will have little forces to provide cover fire. Although unEldar-ish, running a solo Ranger squad into the horde of the enemy forces will protect the rest of your forces. Plus the fact, that a last ditch attempt to save your comrades is in the greatest aspect of the classic Hollywood style and people will remember the sacrifice that you’ve made.

This will increase the over all maneuverability of your army as a full fighting force. You will need to play with mobile units so that you may adapt to certain situations at will. Mobility and adaptability are one and the same; exploit each to their highest extent. Just be sure not to load up on the classic Starcannons, and maintain a large selection of firepower.

How to win with an Alaitoc war host

This section of the article is by no stretch of the imagination and individual effort. After many hours on MSN, AIM, PM’s and e-mails, I have collected various tactical ideas and strategies that will work if implemented correctly. Some of these ideas are expanded on from Games Work shop codex, or tactical run downs, but most are from players of the game, who have adapted to succeed. Many different approaches to the battlefield are seen in Warhammer 40k, from the mindless charge of a green skin horde, or the sheer brute force of the Imperial Guard or Tau, to those who rely solely on speed, high numbers or armour. As Alaitoc, we have a totally different style of play. Yes you can adopt some of the above ideas to use your army to great affect, but even in the fiction, Alaitoc does not rely on a single thing to dominate the battlefield. They are a responsive army, one that must adapt to each situation and handle it accordingly. It is for this reason, that a balanced list is the best form of attack and defense that an Alaitoc Seer can hope to have. Over the next few pages, there will be tactics such as army set up, to individual styles of play. This is where things get interesting.

Army Deployment

Refused Flank

Description
The first attack [or army] set up we will look at is the classic Games-Workshop supported refused flank. The goal o this set up is to prevent the enemy from enveloping your units and isolating them one by one. It effectively prevents the common battle field tactic used by fast army called divide and conquer; as the enemy is will be forced to fight your army in its entirety. One must remember though, that this type of set up leaves little room to move, and although good against a numerically superior force, you will have to be sure you bring enough fire power to bear against incoming threats.

Set Up
To set this battle plan up properly, one would need to set up Rangers and Pathfinders around the perimeter of the table quarter you (choose) to occupy. Rangers and Pathfinders must be placed in cover, and always remember that they will add either a ‘1’ or ‘2’ to any cover save roll. This forward position

My young seer, I hope you have learned a few overall strategies. Always remember, although weaker then our other Craftworld Eldar kin we win battles not by out right destroying the enemy, but by more subtle means. Through mobility, through firepower. Adapt to the battle situation, and overcome it; it is through these means, that you will overcome any opposition that comes your way.

May your sights run straight and your trigger cold.
Alaitoc Strategies
Written by: Thrawn Ulthran

Greetings my kin, I welcome you to the hall of war, where we may discuss ways in which to defeat our enemies be it through brute force like or Biel-tan brethren or through our own subtle means which have proved to effective in the past. Lean close and together we’ll look through some ideas that may and will be of some use to you later on through out your journey.

Like a lot of the other major craftworlds, forces of Alaitoc tend to be small in number, relying on out shooting and mobility to keep their forces alive and to destroy the enemy. Mobility and adaptability is the key in an Alaitoc list. One must be flexible There is many different combinations that can be used effectively, from an all Ranger force using only Guardian based troops as support, to a vehicle heavy list using primarily Falcons and Vypers. Other combinations have also been used including a rare version of a part Wraithguard part Wraithlord Alaitoc list. During this article though I’ll try to stay away from specific scenarios and focus on general tactics that can be used with any Alaitoc list.

First off I’ll cover the basics, as soon as you become aware of the board, terrain set up, and mission objectives, my suggestion is to make a quick sketch or attack pattern in your mind. Set up a plan of attack and fire lanes immediately. Just be sure that these lanes can easily be changed and that anything that moves down that fire lane will die quickly, because, as with all Eldar, your units are fragile and they need to kill what they shoot at or there will be severe poundings the next turn. When setting up your fire lanes that will be used against infantry, remember that infantry move slower through than anything else, so you will have about one or two turns of mobilization before the enemy is upon you. Always have an alternate route for your static forces to regroup to. When you become totally focused on a single plan, they you become vulnerable to weaknesses. A prime example of this is a player who simply "rhino rushes" his units blindly towards the objective, hoping to capture it early before enemy units can open fire upon him. He or she becomes so focused on this that he or she ignores auto cannons and anti-tank weapons that open up on his rear or side armour, destroying his or her force early on. Without any back ups, the player is forced to hold out until the end of the game with no chance of reinforcements. He or she over committed in his or her bid to capture the objective. He or she could have held out for a turn, sending units to target the anti-tank weaponry before making the assault towards the objective. But do not get me wrong, taking initiative is not a bad thing, however, in an Alaitoc list, it can easily result in your down fall, as a Ranger Heavy army generally has little close combat support and an initial rush may not be the best choice. Setting up a basic counter - attack is probably the best choice, as it allows your forces the highest response time and at the same time, gives you general information on which path the enemy is going to take to capture the objective.

This is why I must yet again remind you that flexibility is key. Being able to respond to different situations is what Alaitoc players generally have a hard time with. They become over confident with the Ranger Disruption table (I’ll speak more in depth about this wonderful little thing later on in the article) or the sheer amount weaponry that they pack onto the table. No matter how many times you fire into masses of Tyranid Guants some are eventually going to get through and when they do you will have an increasing large number of Eldar Deaths on your hands. A balanced force is key to deal with such things. Including a large number of Rangers will give you a good chance to pin enemy troops at the beginning of the game. But one must keep a back up force that will deal with enemy armour and close combat which is inevitable in the game of Warhammer 40,000.

Alaitoc Weakness and ways to counter them

· Lack of anti-armour weaponry.

One of the easier things to compensate for. As stated before, Vypers armed with Brightlances will work well, as will Wave Serpents with the bonus of twin-linked anti-tank weaponry. If you generally play with lots of terrain or in a city, then distort cannons may be the weapon of your choice. However, it goes against everything I’ve been ‘preaching’ about so far. It’s not mobile, and cannot adapt. It’s to slow to be to quickly redeploy in safe position. However, if you prefer the static style list, by all means get a couple of these. Distort cannons are a great fear weapon and they can easily cut off a path that a tank would normally take. They also are great used belong side a Brightlance. The Brightlances cracks open the Rhino and the D-cannon kills the closely packed Marines.

· Lack of close combat troops.

Again, when fielding an army that is heavy with Rangers, you can find you will have a disturbing lack of close combat troops. The most obvious choice would be to use your Elite choices to get more. However, Path-finders are one of the best units in the game and you’ll most likely want to field a couple squads of them. So getting an Aspect Warrior squad to cover close combat in the elite section may not be your best choice. If you do have an open slot, then Howling Banshees or Striking Scorpions can provide you with a effective counter attack unit that can hold its own, but you will must likely not have any support for these units so use it cautiously. Another option would be to use either a squad of Warp Spiders or Swooping Hawks to give your army an incredibly mobile unit that can respond to almost any situations. The exarches in these squads are deadly in close combat and should not be under estimated.

· Relatively weak troops.

Yet another weakness of a Ranger heavy army that plagues commanders of an Alaitoc war host, is the apparent lack of ‘tough’ units. As stated in the previous article, to elevate this problem you can get a resilient unit from the elites section such as Scorpion or Wraithguard. Either of theses units can easily provide your army with a solid core unit/s that is capable of taking a hail of fire. One could also go the route I was talking about earlier. Mobility. Use massed fast units including Vypers, Guardian Jetbikes, Warp Spiders, Shining Spears, Swooping Hawks, Falcons, Fire Prism and the baby of the Eldar race with the fire power of a god; the War walker.

These units will give you a host that is extremely vulnerable to close combat, and yet, you will have the mobility to dictate where it will or will not take place. This style of lists is one of the strongest and possibly hardest lists to use. If you don’t direct the Fire Power to the correct targets in time, your army will be utterly destroyed in close combat. A thing to remember; as it will keep you on your toes when playing.

· War host can easily become purely static, not very Eldar.

Refer the previous paragraph that deals with a totally mobile list save the actual Rangers and Pathfinders. I find it to be the most “fluff� style of list to use as it mobile, like the Eldar as a race are, while at the same time being relatively weak, again, something the Eldar are in general as well. If you do choose to go with a purely static list, I pray that you take at least one unit of close combat troops to provide your army with a suitable counter attack force. Otherwise, you’ll play like the Tau, except with out the Kroot to protect you.

Alaitoc Strengths and ways to use them

· Disruption table

Ah, the ability to shoot enemy units, pin squads, and send others into reserves before the games even starts is something that should never be underestimated. Using a large amount of squads of Rangers and Path-finders will guarantee you the ability to cause some "disruption" to the enemy plans before the battle commences. With your pin rolls, try to target targets of the highest importance. This includes assault squads with jump-packs, and heavy weapon teams that would be able to harm your forces early in the game. Even placing a heavy weapon team in reserve allows you a couple of free turns without heavy enemy fire. This means that your weak [I hate sayings this but its true] Rangers will be able to get at the bare minimum one round of good solid shooting off before becoming a prime target. As the enemy will try to target your units that can provide fire power that will destroy his tanks and other tough units.

However, with every terrific strength for Alaitoc, there are people who like to exploit it. People do this by getting as many three man squads of Rangers [up to 8] and jam them into a list. They’re not using them to a tactical advantage, only to get rolls on the disruption table; something that any senior Alaitoc player will say is a no-no. My suggestion would be to use to never use more than six rolls on the disruption table. Any more will be seen as your trying to exploit the disruption table.

So final thoughts on this powerful table, target enemy assault and heavy weapon squads with your reserve rolls, pinning, and if your roll a ‘6’, try to fire at tough units such as Wraithlords and Daemons.

· Ability to take down tough opponents

Following up on the last thing said, Rangers and Pathfinders specifically excel at taking out large targets such as the previously mentioned Wraithlords and Daemons. The ability to wound 50% then possible ignore armour saves either 16% of the time or even 50% of the time if your firing with Pathfinders means that no tough units should get anywhere near your troops. The ability to take down these monstrous threats early in the game with out sacrificing any of your heavier conventional fire power will buy you extra time to mobilize your counter attacking force to be able to strike where you want to when you want to.

· Mobility

With the many delaying tactics in your Alaitoc force, its gives you a distinct advantage in a response time to any enemy units that make it to your lines. Hide your Rangers in such away that they will have an alternate escape route. This goes back to what I was saying earlier, about setting up fire lanes. Using the underestimated fleet of foot to the maximum ability that you possible can is little trick that should never be underestimated. If your battle lines are about to be over run by a vastly superior force with greater numbers, then by all means, haul ass and get your Rangers out of there. This sometimes as its consequences, if there is not unit to occupy the enemy during the retreat period, then the tactical retreat will turn into a massacre, as you will have little forces to provide cover fire. Although unEldar-ish, running a solo Ranger squad into the horde of the enemy forces will protect the rest of your forces. Plus the fact, that a last ditch attempt to save your comrades is in the greatest aspect of the classic Hollywood style and people will remember the sacrifice that you’ve made.

This will increase the over all maneuverability of your army as a full fighting force. You will need to play with mobile units so that you may adapt to certain situations at will. Mobility and adaptability are one and the same; exploit each to their highest extent. Just be sure not to load up on the classic Starcannons, and maintain a large selection of firepower.

How to win with an Alaitoc war host

This section of the article is by no stretch of the imagination and individual effort. After many hours on MSN, AIM, PM’s and e-mails, I have collected various tactical ideas and strategies that will work if implemented correctly. Some of these ideas are expanded on from Games Work shop codex, or tactical run downs, but most are from players of the game, who have adapted to succeed. Many different approaches to the battlefield are seen in Warhammer 40k, from the mindless charge of a green skin horde, or the sheer brute force of the Imperial Guard or Tau, to those who rely solely on speed, high numbers or armour. As Alaitoc, we have a totally different style of play. Yes you can adopt some of the above ideas to use your army to great affect, but even in the fiction, Alaitoc does not rely on a single thing to dominate the battlefield. They are a responsive army, one that must adapt to each situation and handle it accordingly. It is for this reason, that a balanced list is the best form of attack and defense that an Alaitoc Seer can hope to have. Over the next few pages, there will be tactics such as army set up, to individual styles of play. This is where things get interesting.

Army Deployment

Refused Flank

Description
The first attack [or army] set up we will look at is the classic Games-Workshop supported refused flank. The goal o this set up is to prevent the enemy from enveloping your units and isolating them one by one. It effectively prevents the common battle field tactic used by fast army called divide and conquer; as the enemy is will be forced to fight your army in its entirety. One must remember though, that this type of set up leaves little room to move, and although good against a numerically superior force, you will have to be sure you bring enough fire power to bear against incoming threats.

Set Up
To set this battle plan up properly, one would need to set up Rangers and Pathfinders around the perimeter of the table quarter you (choose) to occupy. Rangers and Pathfinders must be placed in cover, and always remember that they will add either a ‘1’ or ‘2’ to any cover save roll. This forward position

My young seer, I hope you have learned a few overall strategies. Always remember, although weaker then our other Craftworld Eldar kin we win battles not by out right destroying the enemy, but by more subtle means. Through mobility, through firepower. Adapt to the battle situation, and overcome it; it is through these means, that you will overcome any opposition that comes your way.

May your sights run straight and your trigger cold.

·
Registered
130 Posts
higgo is like the 7 year old you always see down at GW, who thinks they are incredibly cool because someone once told them they are smart for their age.. most probably like an aunt or something <_< :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.