Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, how would your basic Imperial worlds react to say a wondering Eldar group....or a Tau loner on his own? I'm sure it's not like Star Wars where it's very common to see other races...in fact I'm guessing it's very rare. But What is the tolorance level? Would they be killed on site, or arrested or left alone but looked at with hate? Would it depend on what world they were on, or is there some sort of Imperial code that you must follow when encountering a non hostile alien race such as Tau, Eldar, Kroot, etc.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The average Imperial citizen has never seen an alien before. But the unstoppable propaganda machines of the Imperium, not to mention the dogma of the Ecclesiarchy, and basic human instinct, makes the average Imperial citizen react with fear, mistrust, hatred, and violence, to any alien encountered. The other scenario, is that this is an Imperial world that has encountered aliens before, in which case they would immediatley attack, as the most likely scenario. It would also depend on the alien, and their reaction. Eldar would never interact with humans unless they needed to. And in that case they would do what they needed to do, killing any who got in their way.

Orks, DE, Nids, etc. would all attack the world immediatley, so of course the humans would fight back to the best of their abilities. Tau are a little different. It depends on the planet. If its a backwater, no-where planet, at the edge of the Imperium, with very little control over it, there would be a mix of welcome (because of trade with the tau) and anger/violence. In which case they would attack the Tau. If it was a civilised planet, they would immediatley mobilise and attack. If they didn't the swift hand of the Imperium would eventually come to kill the aliens and any who sided witht hem. Now, Rogue traders, pirates, and such, are known to trade with alien races. Which of course is entirely illegal, and will bring the wrath of the Inquisition on their heads.

·
Registered
350 Posts
some Orks survive in the underhives and ashwastes of Necromunda, remains of an ancient invasion which was driven off with the Aid of the Imperial Fists, some Eldar outcasts can sufficently conceal themselves within Imperial societies for a limited time.

·
The Uncivil Servent
900 Posts
I imagine that it would depend on the planet and of course the species, on the Eastern Fringes for example it is quite common to see Tau interacting with Imperial Citzens through trade Etc. Most planets though i imagine would react with hostility.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Most imperial citizens would probably not be very happy if some eldar appeared. They have a reputation for manipulating people. Also, the normal citizen isn't aware of alien races like the eldar except those on the Eastern Fringe.

·
Registered
867 Posts
As Numberofthebeastxxx says, the average Imperial citizen’s reaction to an alien of any kind is fear and repulsion, and they will likely either flee from the alien or attempt to kill the alien as decreed by Imperial religious dogma. I don’t think most Imperials define alien races according to their hostility towards human beings; to them, all aliens are a threat to the Imperium regardless of their origins. Furthermore, the average Imperial citizen doesn’t know anything about aliens at all, only that they’re not human and therefore to be distrusted. In the Black Library novel ‘Eye of Terror’ it’s actually stated that “…to most people, an alien was just an alien. Ask the average person for the name of any particular alien race, and ‘orks’ was the answer one got, if any.”

However, on frontier worlds close to alien civilisations where the Imperial rule is rarely enforced, it is not entirely uncommon to see various alien races, most often Tau, Kroot, Eldar or minor unknown races, interact with the local population and the traders, legal and illegal, that flock to such a place. On some Imperial planets alien presence is tolerated because the planet can’t hope to defend itself against the aliens if they become hostile; the novel ‘For The Emperor’ takes place on one such planet that is located near Tau space, and here the local authorities actually protect the Tau and their supporters to prevent retaliation. Also, in the novel ‘Kill Team’ is described a Tau planet that actually seems to be inspired by Star Wars, complete with a Mos Eisley Cantina scene; here is found a wide variety of aliens and humans working for the Tau or else highest bidder.

~Grephaun.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
My guess is, in most cases, Imperial citizens who spot an alien are going to start getting out the burning torches. As has been suggested, it's unlikely they'd have ever seen one before, but they might well assume it was a mutant or something in need of putting down.

Imperial citizens come across as a fairly supersititious bunch, from the fluff I've read anyway. Most of them seem to be of the opinion that if it looks funny, you should tie it to a pole and set it on fire.

There is trade between aliens and humans, sure, but I get the impression that most of it only involves powerful humans who have mass control over resources. The Tau aren't going to touch down in a field and offer to trade Farmer Bob's crop of space wheat for a pulse rifle.. Instead, they're going to visit the governor, or a high ranking figure in industry, and deal with him directly.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
It really depends on the place. A lone Tau or Eldar may pass unnoticed in a human settlement if he disguises himself sufficiently - hey, big mysterious black cloaks are useful - but on any planet with a security detail, he's screwed. It's not exactly E.T. A Tau or even a Tau sympathiser found on a hive world is executed immediately. On more backwater worlds, perhaps not so quickly. Remember that, in most cases, aliens are even less happy to see humans than humans are to see aliens.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Mug-mug said:
The Result of a Imperial Citizen seeing an alien
Citizen: OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT RUNNNN!!!!!

Thank you for your Time.......
Prob. more to the effect of: OH MY SWEET EMPEROR! (or) WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE THRONE IS THAT! Something like that. Good try though. :yes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think it would it actually depend on the temperament of the person and the type of world they lived on. Someone from a death world is probably more likely to say somehting like: DIE XENOS SCUM! and start attacking it with whatever comes to hand.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Well considering the average ctizen is fairly ignorant of the universe around them (space travel? you must be mad!) fear is the typical response.

Agreed, if an ork turned up on catachan its life would be very short. But aliens on typical imperial worlds are the enemy of humanity and must be exterminated, this level of prejudice will vary world to world but ultimately humans are hostile to any aliens.

Chances are most people don't like off-worlders, let alone an ork or eldar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts