Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always liked how GW based the Tyranids on the Alien movies. So I searched the internet to see if anyone had attempted to convert their nids to look like alien, and I found this site: About the Alienid Swarm

I got all of my inspiration from there, and I decided to make my own. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, I have lost my digital camera and took these with my mobile phone cam. Please see attached images. :) I'll be uploading more soon

Note: all of this work is still in progress

·
Registered
73 Posts
looking good. Im also going to try something like this (either aliens or bugs from starship troopers) later on. I might need to work on my gs skills. cant wait to see some more!

Edit: Just had an awsome idea for facehugger ripper swarms which should be easily achievable through wire and a blob of GS.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't really need to be great at modelling GS to be able to do that. I'm a total n00b with GS, but with some patience and a swiss army knife, I have done a decent job on modelling the heads.

I was also thinking of using the rippers as chestbursters, they are almost perfect for the job. I am currently modelling a lictor.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
Xenomorphs have acidic blood so if you take toxin sacs and acid maw upgrades on your nids, you will have the entire package. They are also covered in lubricant slime so I think gloss enamel is a good tool to cover the models with in order for them to resemble the alien look.
For a project like this, highlighting is a big issue since the models are entirely black and dark blue, so good luck and a rep for you.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Also I read somewhere a while ago that Alien was released in 1978? but tyranids were first mentioned in 1977?!?! So who's copying who now. /conspiracy theory.
Who is copying who? Tyranids were originally designed as six-limbed space dinosaurs which used bio-tech and didn't look like the Alien. They didn't have a Hive mind and they were native to this galaxy. Since then the swarm has evolved. The basic concept for Tyranids is now based upon the rough humanoid shape. To this Giger's Alien is added. Insects and dinosaurs are also used to complete the design and give us the 'look' which is what we now know as Tyranids.

Basically if you want to get a good feel for Tyranids watch Alien and Aliens, then watch Jurrasic park and Starship troopers. You should watch all these films back to back only pausing to get food and water. Once this is done you will have a good feel of Tyranids.

About this post. I like those Alien-nids. The work that is being done on them is top notch. I think my favourite is the Tyranid warrior. the shape of the head is very much as Giger would of intended it to be. I also think that a good job has been done in making sure that the head is properly proportioned to look like it fits with the body.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Xenomorphs have acidic blood so if you take toxin sacs and acid maw upgrades on your nids, you will have the entire package. They are also covered in lubricant slime so I think gloss enamel is a good tool to cover the models with in order for them to resemble the alien look.

The toxin sacs wont be a problem, I give most of my nids those anyway, but the acid maws will be a bit harder. If anyone has any ideas on how to model them, it would be appreciated. :)

For a project like this, highlighting is a big issue since the models are entirely black and dark blue
Thats good, since my painting skills aren't brilliant.

Leech;1125513I said:
also think that a good job has been done in making sure that the head is properly proportioned to look like it fits with the body.
I took great care with that. If the head was out of proportion even a bit, the end result would have been much different, and I went through quite a few warrior heads to get 2 decent ones. I have one mroe head left, so I'm gonna have to do a good job on this one.

I should be able to get some more pics posted up soon. Thanks for the positive comments guys, it really helps my confidence. :)

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
Im actually doing the same thing, but i have an monstrous creature list lol. A flying Queen with 5 acid spitting Carnifexes with loads of little xenomorph goodness ;Y As for acid maws, maybe you could put some greenstuff around the mouth and then paint it like they are drooling. Then for further effect, put some concrete/metal/power on the base and have holes in it to show the acidity.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im actually doing the same thing, but i have an monstrous creature list lol. A flying Queen with 5 acid spitting Carnifexes with loads of little xenomorph goodness ;Y As for acid maws, maybe you could put some greenstuff around the mouth and then paint it like they are drooling. Then for further effect, put some concrete/metal/power on the base and have holes in it to show the acidity.
The only problem with that is that green stuff isn't transparent, and the saliva of xenomorphs is transparent. I was thinking of melting some flying stems and hanging that from the mouths.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
Well thinking about it im sure its only the blood of the Xenomorphs thats acidic, not the saliva. But still, if you decide to go down the meltic route, be carefuly because obviously when the plastic hits the model it'll still be hot so could just melt through the model lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'll make sure I test it on a few unimportant heads first. I probably wouldn't be able to do it until after I have sprayed it though, otherwise the whole idea of having transparent saliva is kind of pointless.

And yeah your right, the saliva isn't supposed to be acidic. But you would imagine that it was toxic, and if it got inside the body of the victim it would cause damage. So the acid maw could represent increased chance of wounding the target.

EDIT: okay, I just found that in Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection that the saliva is mildly acidic, probably enough to cause severe pain if it got into a wound. So the acid maw biomorph would play that role nicely. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some more warrior/lictor/ravener heads (not sure what I'm gonna put them on yet), and a lictor. 8Y
I haven't started modelling the tail on the lictor yet, as I am running out of green stuff and I want to do as many heads as possible first so I can get the basic xenomorph look on most of my models

Reactions: Rabbit

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts

Edit: Just had an awsome idea for facehugger ripper swarms which should be easily achievable through wire and a blob of GS.

Nah, just use the adrenal glands off the Tyranid sprue.
I did it with my Humanids to make spore mines.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Now someone make a Predator Tau Battlesuit and we'll have ourselves a themed game!

(BTW nice model :happy:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts