Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently at 1750pts and am thinking of going to 2k. I am considering for numerous reasons buying a unit of 5 Grey Knight Terminators to employ as a counterassault unit. Furthermore, I am sick to death of painting Cadian Guardsmen and am looking forward to a more complex painting and modelling project. The unit would clock in at several hundred points (I understand that there are some draconian rules about point costs so I will be vague) and I am wondering if they're even worth the trouble? Have you lot had any good or especially bad experiences using them? I am thinking 1 Brother-Captain, and 4 Terminators, maybe with a psycannon.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I like to take a unit of FAGK (Fast Attack Grey Knights) instead of Termies. Grey Knight Termies are the best looking unit in 40k, IMO, but regular Grey Knights work better with an IG army.

If you give the squad two Psycannons, you have a very effective shooty and CC squad. One that can deepstrike or set up last (what I like to do). The work nicely with the shootyness of IG, but can back up your lines in CC against all but Wyches and Genestealers. You get a lot more stormbolter shots from 10 FAGKs than fro 5 Terminators.;o

Grey Knights are an excellent addition to IG, so go for it regardless!!!!

Cheers, DH

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find that I don't have a problem with squishier assault troops like wyches or genestealers, but rather terminator squads or assault marines and chaplains. The power weapons carried by Terminators are tempting, as well as the option of paying an extra 50 or 60pts to have a 3 wound model in the squad carrying a Force Weapon (by upgrading the Brother-Captain to a Hero) - especially against big daemons or carnifexes (two armies I often play) Furthermore, using these power weapons at initiative and enough strength to still wound a normal space marine on a 2+, whats not to like! Even if I am fighting powerfist armed terminators (which I often to when I play Dark Angels), striking first might slay a bunch before they even threaten me!

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
I like to take a unit of FAGK (Fast Attack Grey Knights) instead of Termies. Grey Knight Termies are the best looking unit in 40k, IMO, but regular Grey Knights work better with an IG army.

If you give the squad two Psycannons, you have a very effective shooty and CC squad. One that can deepstrike or set up last (what I like to do). The work nicely with the shootyness of IG, but can back up your lines in CC against all but Wyches and Genestealers. You get a lot more stormbolter shots from 10 FAGKs than fro 5 Terminators.;o

Grey Knights are an excellent addition to IG, so go for it regardless!!!!

Cheers, DH
I would have to agree. A Fast Attack Grey Knight choice would be good. And if you deepstrike them you can weaken up the enemy before they get there which will allow them to rip through squad hopefully pretty easily.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Psycannons are very good, and the whole idea provides a lot of mobile firepower. The problem I am having, however, is ultra-heavy assault troops (chaos terminators with lightning claws or powerfists) hitting my lines and, if not consolidating from squad to squad, putting a considerable hurt on my infantry. Granted, I space my squads out four inches, but if I had a dollar for every time I've done that only to have a squad 'massacred' and have my opponent roll a D6 into my carefully placed unit 4 inches away... I could easily afford the 5 GK Terminators. With that role in mind, are Terminators worth the point difference between some regular GKs? I know it'd cost more than 250pts - closer to 375 actually *gulp*

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Why 4"? Common sense would dictate 6.5" - granted depending on the size of the board this could be a little difficult, but...

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I think that GKTs with a Grand Master could be better for you. Normal GK's are a bit more numerous and have more storm bolters, but apart from the Justicar, can't cause dents in assault like GKT's power weapons do. The downside is that besides the Grand Master, termies with lightning claws will strike the GK's at the same time as they strike.

I suppose another way you could go is to field a squad of Rough Riders with lances to counter or softenheavy assault troops like those, and take a squad of normal GK, or some Termies to provide fire support, help finish off the rough riders' targets and act as a counter charge against more-regular assault troops.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I vote FAGK with rough riders, looking at about 270-320, perfect for you army maybe if you wanna ditch somethin else? But set FAGK last as Diggum suggested, move them out to draw the heavy CC troops in, whilst shootin them up, then counter charge with the rough riders, that way we have two very solid choices against the Heavy CC troops. Also you have more adaptability to not only other armies but just different tactics....
Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.