Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a lot of time just standing around bored at work today, and started to really consider what Allies in 9th might mean for Warhammer. And strangely, I wasn't terribly perplexed by it. Even if they allowed for a relatively "no holds barred" combining of armies, using Core for Core, and so forth, I couldn't really come up with anything that I'd want to add to my armies.

They're obviously going to follow some kind of chart for determining who allies with whom. My guess is that, in 40k style of "not all good with all good" they'll allow only the current 'Trusted Allies' pairings. Obviously they'll probably expand the 'Trusted' allies for the current Destruction forces, as they're a pretty xenophobic bunch at present, and they'll surely widen the breadth of potential allies for guys like the Orcs and Skaven.

So with that kind of chart, what kind of broken combos could we really expect to see? Sure, the initial opening weeks of the edition might seem a bit wonky and chaotic, but I think that once the dust settles allies will be less prevalent than they are in 40k. I think that it has a lot to do with the interaction of rules in WHFB as compared to 40k, so depending on how well "meshed" allies can become, and what sort of major rule overhauls they introduce in 9th (I'm guessing very few, actually), I can't really see Allies being anything more than a novelty choice and perhaps a staple in a scant handful of truly good builds.

So let me ask - if you could add Allies from your 'Trusted Allies', under the rules that you must have at least 1 character from the Allies, and that these units do count towards caps and minimums, what combinations would you take advantage of?

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
I would bring my WoC, preferably mounted maybe a few skullcrushers, adding a goblin hero with greatweapon, maybe a block of night goblins and perhaps a spearchukka or 4. maybe somedoomdiver and pump wagon to finish it off. thats around 400 pts for the greenskin side.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I'd probably look at grabbing Throgg for my Orc and Gobbo army. If I could fill my Core section in my O&G army with Trolls, THEN fill the rest up with awesome Special and Rare then it'd be golden. As for my WOC, nothing at all really. I don't think WoC need anything, although a Beast Wizard would be cool, they're a solid no nonsense book that doesn't need gimmicks or units from other books to cover weaknesses.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Lore of Life Supreme Sorceress and a unit of Darkshards + Trolls = T8 Troll Horde.

Dark Rider Core and RoH/Darksteed Master + Chimera + Crushers = Fast Anti-magic List.

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
I reckon that most of the time, if a list utilizes Allies, it will be for Fluff purposes.
You might find a small contingent of Wood Elves in a Brettonian list, or maybe a few Dwarves (and cannons) in an Empire (Nuln) list; but I doubt that it would be anymore than units that would function "Counts As" in 8th Ed list.
Ogres might be the only exception, and once again become the (legitimate) mercenaries they always were.
You might conceivably find Empire traitors in other armies, but I suspect that that would be uncommon, and purely to fill a tactical hole.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reckon that most of the time, if a list utilizes Allies, it will be for Fluff purposes.
Just based on what we've seen from 40k, I highly doubt this will be the case. Well, maybe for the brunt of the folks on the ground, in friendly groups and similar "not competitive" settings, but for tournaments, forum-goers, and people who play in rather more cut-throat groups I think you'll see allies being bent and broken every which way to Sunday.

The Empire bit though, did cue up some thinking for my High Elves. I'd love some XBows in my HE list, or some White Lions in my Empire list. I'd like Demigryphs and White Lions in just about any army, for that matter. Just like I'm sure any evil army would want some Chaos Warriors. When you consider that Dark Elves don't really have a solid heavy infantry unit (Blackguard or Executioners, and they're both sub-par compared to High Elf offerings) then it becomes a tough more obvious why they might want to fill in the gaps with something like Warriors for an anvil instead.

I still think that it will be limited, but I think that it will be disappointing because everyone will be using the same handful of allied units. Demis and White Lions will be the most popular unit in Order armies, and Warriors of Chaos and Dark Elves will be heavily poached for Disorder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts