Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing around the idea of adding one unit either from the demon hunter or witch hunter army to my IG army. Which would you rather have 10 greyknights with justicar and one pscycannon or 20 sisters of battle with 2 flamers or 2 meltaguns and the sisters are the cheaper unit.
bonekrusher

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
The knights might actually be the better of the two units, always being able to fire at max range with two shots, having the shrouding special rule, true grit, and better strength in cc than most hq's begin with.

The sisters have numbers, lose range if they move, and have a lower toughness than the knights. They have the potential to die as fast as gaurdsmen, though they hit more often and are armed better...8)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm currently working on a sisters squad with rhino for my IG.
Mobile heavy flamers are awesome, the book of st.lucius gives them a small command bubble and best of all they can try an act of faith. I did some experimental dice throwing to simulate ten sisters shooting with divine guidance to a carnifex (+1 T, 2+ save). They can take 2-3 wounds out of it with their bolters.

·
908 Posts
bonekrusher said:
I have been playing around the idea of adding one unit either from the demon hunter or witch hunter army to my IG army. Which would you rather have 10 greyknights with justicar and one pscycannon or 20 sisters of battle with 2 flamers or 2 meltaguns and the sisters are the cheaper unit.
bonekrusher
This is a tough choice. It really depends on your play style. The sister's are like stormtroopers with added goodness, their shootiness and numbers fit in well with the IG way. On the other hand, GK's might help you with any close combat problems, as well as be freaking awesome in general. But, they are expensive and make a big target, which might not integrate well into an IG army.

In the end, it just depends what you're looking for, a boost to your firepower or some CC goodness.

- Abe

·
Registered
116 Posts
GK are better than sisters, but a squad of 10 cost at least 275 pts.
That is the cost of 25 sisters.

It's just too much points in 1hp model IMHO. GK are fire magnets (easy points) and shrouding isnt much helping. I would keep them hidden to counterattack any CC on my rear line.

Otherwise I would take 2 squad of sisters, which are able to face any situations.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the idea of keep greyknight back for counterstrike cc but I think the sisters would fit better in my IG. Sisters are cheaper in pts wise not dollar wise to greyknights. I think 20 sisters with 2 meltaguns would be good cheap unit instead having stromtroopers. For 1 more I can get 3 save verus 4 save. I think it is worth the points.
thanks
Bonekrusher

·
durus
2,771 Posts
I'm a bit biased of course, but a with IG you already have shooty. Allied Deamonhunters are a real support for IG, and are indeed worth the points.

The most effective overall squad I have ever used is a squad of 10 GKs with no special weapons.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Diggums Hammer said:
I'm a bit biased of course, but a with IG you already have shooty. Allied Deamonhunters are a real support for IG, and are indeed worth the points.

The most effective overall squad I have ever used is a squad of 10 GKs with no special weapons.
That about sums it up I think. And really GK aren't fragile in an IG army at all. Just throw a squad of guard in front of them and counterstrike.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use a squad of 7 grey knights (one incinerator) as fast attack and must say that these bad boys often earn their points back. Not only that, but the fact they can deepstrike in any mission can also give you a greater tactical flexibility in the way you deploy your army. The only thing that stops me from fielding more is... well, I dont actually own any more. As a backup CC unit, they are also worth their points and fill a much needed gap in the Guard list.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yeah, GKs are cool, but just to throw out the flip side of this, SoB are about the best point-for-point shooters you can buy.

When you crunch the stats down, taking into account that GKs are twice the price of SoB, you'll see that the advantages of the stormbolter, the extra toughness, and the extra attack are nullified. The SoB can throw out as much fire as GKs at 12"-24" and twice as much when < 12". The SoB have twice as many wounds at 3+ save, which is worth much more than a point of T (in terms of a lasgun hit, the GK has around an 11% chance of dying vs. 16.5% for a SoB. With half as many poins per wound. I can't think of many AP3 or better weapons where the point of T makes a difference). This means SoB will significantly outshoot GKs and are significantly more durable.

The one spot where GKs have an edge is in higher quality attacks (better WS and effective S6 in CC). That's worth a fair bit, particularly vs. high WS/high T opponents, but bear in mind that this is the only area where they outshine SoB. If you aren't getting your GKs into CC and keeping them there, you aren't getting the most out of them.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Indeed, I've a friend who owns some GK and I've seen them make an excellent counter-charge unit/line stabilisers.

If a particularly dangerous unit breaks into a dangerous spot, they have both the shooting and CC capability to put the hurt on it. He uses the a small 6 man squad without upgrades, he used to deep-strike but recently he's got into the habit of deploying them with his troops.

Last battle I saw he managed to turn back a big squad of Black Templar from their inexorable advance into his deployment zone and generally keep them out the game.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to try 8 greyknights as both fast attack and try to keep a unit behind my guard troops as counter cc unit. Also I was going to try 10 sisters in rhino. I rather have chimera but in the troops on witch hunter codex says only rhino. I was going to use sisters to grab objectives with my tanks as support. And see which way works .
bonekrusher

·
durus
2,771 Posts
bonekrusher said:
I am going to try 8 greyknights as both fast attack and try to keep a unit behind my guard troops as counter cc unit. Also I was going to try 10 sisters in rhino. I rather have chimera but in the troops on witch hunter codex says only rhino. I was going to use sisters to grab objectives with my tanks as support. And see which way works .
bonekrusher

Make sure you take a Vet Sister, so you can use Faith! Divine Guidiance my friend may may start a whole Sisters army!

·
Monkey Pirate
451 Posts
I've thought about adding something like this to my own army for a while now, I've setteled on Sobs mainly because one they got pretty decent numbers, two, faith, three they are cheap. Also they fit the theme of my army fairly wel, i take them only if im worryed that i don't have enough high ap weapons, ( god i love divine guidance) I can't speak so much for grey knights, as I've only been in close combat with my guard army twice i think.... and after losing the combat the offending squad got destroyed by lasguns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.